Author Topic: gannon  (Read 6468 times)

Offline wmac

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
gannon
« on: Monday 03 December 07 04:55 GMT (UK) »
can anybody help, i am looking for information on patrick gannon born abt 1800 in leinster tullamore and was sentanced to 10 years for stealing to van diemans land aus. he married ann dempsey and had 2 children rosa and dennis. i can't find any info on ann or their marriage and no records of the childrens birth dennis headstone has tullamore on it.
gannon- ireand, dempsey-ireland, lacey-ireland, steven-scotland, baldock -england

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
Re: gannon
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 09 April 08 18:30 BST (UK) »
Hello wmac,

There are three items you require when searching for Irish ancestors.

1. Denomination.
2. Parish.
3. Townland.

You'll have to rely on Church records as Patrick was born before Civil Registration was introduced in Ireland. Non Catholic marriages were registered from 1845 onwards. When registration for BDMS started in 1864 some people didn't bother with the registration for a few years after that date. Keep your fingers crossed that church records still exist.

Christopher

Offline wmac

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: gannon
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 10 April 08 04:16 BST (UK) »
hi christopher

thanks for the email.

i do know that patrick was a catholic and he was from phillipstown, lienster.
he also had two brothers timothy & john that were sent to australia, another brother dennis and sister honor his mothers name was rose.

dennis & honor stayed in ireland (i think).

his wife ann lived at birkenshead, chesire when the application for her to come to aus with here two children in 1848-49.

i am at present waiting for the offally data to come on line.  if you have any more suggestions they would be greatly appreciated.

once again thank you.

wendy
gannon- ireand, dempsey-ireland, lacey-ireland, steven-scotland, baldock -england