Author Topic: james henry CLYDE  (Read 1469 times)

Offline Ladyhawk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: james henry CLYDE
« Reply #9 on: Friday 20 October 23 15:44 BST (UK) »

are you able to help me with birth for Ellen Elizabeth sills or a death for John James sills?

I couldn't find anything on family search  ???

The death you mention for Ellen gives her age 50 so born c1874 - her parents married 3 February 1874

There are three baptism on the link below - (2) Sills (1) Clyde
https://www.ancestors.co.za/database/ALL-Baptisms-results.php?term=sills&sqry=

John James Sills (child) is noted as deceased in 1891 on death notice of Mary Letchen (formerly married to James Sills) also notes he leaves a daughter named Ellen Elizabeth Sills, minor
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:QGDV-Y6SY

John James Sills wife Sarah Jane remarried 17 May 1879 - time frame for his death anywhere between 1874 - 1879  :-\ Sorry I can't be of more help
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline bowes

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 20 October 23 17:58 BST (UK) »
thank for getting back to me.  It is really a brick wall for me.
The sills you linked with baptisms with the clyde is the right family, but not direct line I am looking for.  I also can't access those ancestry links, as I am not a subscriber.

Ellen Elizabeth shows in a baptism for her and her mother on 11 April 1883, and indicates that Ellen was 5 years, making her born 1878/9.
yes her death notice as per your link shows she was 50 when she died, making her birth year 1874.
So I need her actual birth to see which is her correct birth year.

so to summarise, I need John Clyde birth and Ellen Elizabeth sills birth.

I thank you for your help.:)

Offline Gillian Mauchan

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Eliza Warr c 1900 Found her she lied about her age
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 12 November 23 03:38 GMT (UK) »
MArriage of Sarah Jane Webster and John James Sills https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3Q9M-CSK8-V95N-S?view=index&personArk=%2Fark%3A%2F61903%2F1%3A1%3A6ZHB-VFQB&action=view

Given they were married in the Wesleyan Church it is likely their daughter was baptised there - you will probably have to contact the church for her baptism

You can create a login on ancestors.co.za and view those baptisms - she has links to family search films but the one to the Catholid church does not seem to work - i checked the film no and its not availbale online

Given John Clyde's DN does not indicate a birth location and he has not left an estate file I don;t think you will find his birth as he may not have been born in South Africa
WARR, MAUCHAN, GOWANS,Guest,Whitcomb. Taute, Webb,Pascual

Offline bowes

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 12 November 23 16:47 GMT (UK) »
thanks for the marriage certificate. I have this, and am at a brick wall now, with birth for John Clyde and Elizabeth Sills.  The daughter of Sarah and John Sills, was baptised in the catholic Faith when she was 5 years old, with her mother, after her mother got married to John Clyde in the Catholic Church.

Perhaps I can get hold of the Catholic Church in Port Elizabeth for any further records.

thanks for info regarding login for ancestors.co.za.  I shall try that now.