Author Topic: Whats in a name??  (Read 6033 times)

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Whats in a name??
« Reply #27 on: Tuesday 04 December 07 18:30 GMT (UK) »
That's the certificate that I've got up right now, Jayne  :D

When did he joint the RN?
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Jayne

• RootsChat Senior
  • My Grt Grandfather David Benjamin Redding 1st left
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Tuesday 04 December 07 18:33 GMT (UK) »
Gadget
Is Dumfermiline d=family the one I have been working on, your right Gregor was a coal miner at marriage. Between 1871 -1876 he worked in the Quarries with his father John.

Now I ahve something that may marry up with what was said about alias in the navy.

On Williams marriage cert i in 1899 t states his father Gregory was a shoemaker, as was William. so was he hiding the fact he was in the navy as a alias. Abd was of dodgy disposition??
 :-\
J
London / Middlesex - Redding, Gazzard, Tampling, Wickings, Hicks, Burgess, Brooke, Pink, Tofft / Toft Dawson, Hosling, Hunter
Kent - Burgess, Muchmore
Lincolnshire - Jackson, Watson, Holmes, Smith, Winter, Renshaw,Banks, Dobson, Cawdron, Cox , Scott,

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Tuesday 04 December 07 18:34 GMT (UK) »
I think we have to think about this Jayne, the Dunfermline one was a grocer  :-\

I'll be back  :)
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline Jayne

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Tuesday 04 December 07 18:35 GMT (UK) »
Gregor joined the Navy in 1880 enlisted in Edinburgh, then was sent to Chatham in Kent, where there is a big naval base.,
J
London / Middlesex - Redding, Gazzard, Tampling, Wickings, Hicks, Burgess, Brooke, Pink, Tofft / Toft Dawson, Hosling, Hunter
Kent - Burgess, Muchmore
Lincolnshire - Jackson, Watson, Holmes, Smith, Winter, Renshaw,Banks, Dobson, Cawdron, Cox , Scott,

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Tuesday 04 December 07 18:38 GMT (UK) »
Have you got hem in 1871?

Offline Jayne

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Tuesday 04 December 07 18:51 GMT (UK) »
Yes I have found John and Ann, I think Gregor has been transcribed as George, and John is working in the quarries
Kent - Burgess, Muchmore

Offline Jayne

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Tuesday 04 December 07 19:22 GMT (UK) »
Gadget
I think I have cracked it,  I have been speaking to my brother and discussing this, whilst looking at these Naval records I noted that James Watson alias Gregor Burgess was on HMS Pembroke in 1901, in Kent, in the English 1901 census there is a Gregory Burgess on the vessesls on HMS Pembroke, Kent, he was 43 and a widower and a private in the RN

This must be him, if I have found the right death he was widowed in 1894 when Janet Watson Burgess died, her husband was a private in the RN

J :)
Kent - Burgess, Muchmore

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Tuesday 04 December 07 20:25 GMT (UK) »
 :) :) :) :)

I think I'll leave it to you Jayne. Give a shout if you want any more interrogation  :D :D :D

Gadget

Offline Jayne

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Tuesday 04 December 07 20:34 GMT (UK) »
No Problem but Many thanks anyway, you ahve all been a great help and I think Im almost there. I lve a mystery ;D
J
Kent - Burgess, Muchmore