Author Topic: George Brown b.c1822 - but where?! 1841/1851  (Read 1417 times)

Offline Emsworthy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Bert & Ernie...we love you!!!
    • View Profile
George Brown b.c1822 - but where?! 1841/1851
« on: Saturday 01 January 05 15:41 GMT (UK) »
I've recently been on the durhamrecordsonline site and found out a lot of information about my branches that come from that area.  Thing is, I've got as far back as I can and have now hit a brick wall...

George Brown was born c.1822 but I don't know where!  He went on to marry Eleanor who was born c1833 in Yorkshire, but she died before the 1871 census.  They had
Charlotte Brown b.c1850 Yarm, Yorks
Charles Brown b.c1857 Guisborough, Yorks
Emily Brown b.c1858 Bishop Auckland, Co Durham
Nathaniel Brown b.c1861 Bishop Auckland, Co. Durham

I've got George Brown on the 1871 census (RG10/4985 pg 38) living in Hetton-le-Hole and it states he was born in Northamptonshire, Easton. (Got quite excited at this point as it's not too far from me!)  But, and there's always a but, on the 1861 census they were living in Monk Hesleden, Castle Eden Colliery and he was listed as being born in Stamford, Lincolnshire.

So right now I'm a bit confused.  The two elder children I know of were born in Yorkshire, as was his wife so does that point to there?  And where on earth do Lincolnshire and Northamptonshire come into it?!

Hope someone can help!

Regards, Emma ;)
~Census Transcriptions, Crown Copyright, National Archives~<br /><br />All Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk<br /><br />Warner (Essex) Edgley (Suffolk) Blake & Sparrowhawk (Lambeth) Hall & Gibson (Co. Durham) Brown (Yorkshire)

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: George Brown b.c1822 - but where?! 1841/1851
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 30 November 08 18:41 GMT (UK) »
Hi
Just doing some housekeeping.  Are you still looking for these or is it sorted now?
Andrea

Offline Emsworthy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 08 January 09 10:54 GMT (UK) »
Hello,

I am still looking, but I think it might be one of those unanswerable ones! 

Regards, Emma ;)
~Census Transcriptions, Crown Copyright, National Archives~<br /><br />All Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk<br /><br />Warner (Essex) Edgley (Suffolk) Blake & Sparrowhawk (Lambeth) Hall & Gibson (Co. Durham) Brown (Yorkshire)

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 08 January 09 11:26 GMT (UK) »
Hi

What makes you think he married an Eleanor? Do you have any more on the marriage?

George's wife is enumerated as "Eli" or "Ele" Brown in 1861, 28 b Yorkshire South_______

What I am wondering is whether she might be the same person as Eliza Moody who in 1851 was a 21 yr old living in Yarm, birthplace South Cave, Yorkshire (which to me looks consistent with the hard-to-read birthplace of George's wife in 1861). What I like about Eliza Moody in 1851 is that she has a 1 yr old daughter Charlotte, b Yarm. HO107/2383/111/22

I can't see a marriage between her and George Brown, though, I must admit! And her age is a little out, but it wasn't all that unusual for people to age less than 10 yrs between censuses.

Anna
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline Emsworthy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 08 January 09 11:29 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Anna!

It's been a while since I've looked at this line, so I'm blowing dust off it at the moment!  I'll definitely take a look at what you've found and hopefully some of it will tie in!

Thanks again,

Emma ;)

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 08 January 09 11:30 GMT (UK) »
A 30-yr-old unmarried George Brown b Stamford, Lincs, rail lab., was lodging in Alston, Cumberland in 1851: HO107/2424/47/29.  Have you ruled him out?

Anna
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline Emsworthy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 08 January 09 11:39 GMT (UK) »
Thanks again Anna!

To be honest, I kind of hid from the Brown line as it was so daunting!  I like the sound of both of these people you've found though.  Do you think that it could be 'Ela' in 1861?  I'll see what I can find as regards marriages.  Crikey...could be anywhere do you think?  What with Charlotte perhaps being born out of wedlock?   ::)

Regards, Emma ;)

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 08 January 09 12:03 GMT (UK) »
Yes - could be anywhere (or nowhere - not everyone made it up the aisle).

IGI has this baptism (extracted):

CHARLOTTE MOODY   

Baptised 16 March 1851  Yarm, Yorkshire

Mother:  ELIZA MOODY   

Offline Emsworthy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 08 January 09 12:05 GMT (UK) »
The words 'needle' and 'haystack' spring to mind! 

Thanks for the baptism record.  I really am liking the sound of Eliza.  I just wish she'd tie in!

Regards, Emma ;)