Author Topic: The Sad Death of 26 Children at Huskar Pit 1838  (Read 64949 times)

Offline LisaClapham

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: The Sad Death of 26 Children at Huskar Pit 1838
« Reply #117 on: Thursday 04 February 10 21:38 GMT (UK) »
thankyou Tomkin

i have this info

i'm going to order a copy of the book

Regards
Lisa

Offline Ebch

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Doolough Memorial
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: Friday 12 February 10 16:02 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Tomkin for giving the children of Huskar the right to be remembered.  I often pass the Silkstone memorial.  To me it's one of those places you cannot pass without thinking of the horrors they suffered.  I managed to order a copy of the book today.
Have you thought of creating a page for the Oaks Disaster?  This one was so informative that I really think, if you have time, would be of great interest too. I understand there is a list of the 361 men and boys killed.
Thanks again for a great contribution.

Mulhearn  Roche Deacey Tracy  Cordingley  Johnson Bullock  Bradley
Mayo  Roscommon  West Yorkshire  Derbyshire  Staffordshire

Offline tomkin

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: Friday 12 February 10 16:21 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Ebch,

I'll have to have a think about the Oaks disaster.

I'll also have a re-read of this subject and add a few more interesting things from

the Investigation.

Tomkin

Offline marcie dean

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #120 on: Sunday 14 February 10 01:20 GMT (UK) »
This must take a lot of research.  In the National Archives there was a piece on Victorian Times
where it stated that girls were considered to be of age at the fine age of 12, if the parents were poor and the child was pretty, she would be sold and married off to anyone who would take her on and state that they would care for her.  Without realising what that might mean.

Tomkin,  would you consider covering this topic as a subject.  it is no different to children nowadays using their computers and being groomed by paedophiles in these days as in Victorian times there were always people around who would take advantage of others circumstances.

marcie
Scotlandorkney flett bell, strickland laird traillcalqahoun.
Lanark/Argyll/Renfrew/Ayr:Smith, Steele,Kirkwood,Hamilton,May,orO'mayscott and anderso, craig , forbes taggart Kirkwood, milloy and steel apart ftom others which are numerous, graham mcilroy. stewart.brown battonisle of sku rothsay etc.
 searl rogers sutherland
Edinburgh/Aberdeen:portsea marsh,brownwhittcomb and others. to numerous to mentionweymouth frank.  Laidlaw,Brown,Dean//Charles/Hall/Slight/Johnston belgium loquet

Offline Alan Gallop

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: Tuesday 23 February 10 13:04 GMT (UK) »
Readers of this forum might like to know that my book 'Children of the Dark' - originally published by Sutton Publishing in a hardback edition in 2003 - will be coming out again as a paperback in June, 2010.  The book has been out of circulation for the last couple of years, despite appearing on the recommended reading list for KS2/KS3 students.  Copies have even been changing hands for £90.00 a pot on some web sites!

The new edition - published by The History Press - will appear under the name of 'Victoria's Children of the Dark' (don't ask me why - ask the publisher!) price £9.99.  However, if you pre-order a copy from Amazon.co.uk. you can save £1.00 on the cover price and have it delivered to your door post free by clicking on the following link (you might have to cut and paste into your web browser:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Victoria's-Children-Dark-Underground-Empire/dp/0752456989/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1266928923&sr=8-4

The book will have a brand new cover, too, and I will paste in onto this site as soon as it is ready.

I will be in Yorkshire early in July to promote the book at the National Coal Mining Museum for England and elsewhere.

Meanwhile, if anyone has any questions, please feel free to contact me by email on
Moderator comment:  Email removed in accordance with rootschat policy.  Please use our personal message system.  New members need at least two posts to do so.
For those preferring to order from local bookshops, here are the details you will need:

Title: Victoria's Children of the Dark - The Women and Children Who Built Her Underground Empire
Author: Alan Gallop
Publisher: The History Press
Publication Date: June 1, 2010
ISBN codes: ISBN-10: 0752456989
                    ISBN-13: 978-0752456980 
Paperback: 252 pages - fully illustrated

All good wishes.

Alan Gallop

Offline dennford

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: Tuesday 23 February 10 22:52 GMT (UK) »
I will be in Yorkshire early in July to promote the book at the National Coal Mining Museum for England and elsewhere.

Do you have definite date for this promotion ? as I intend visiting the museum in either July or August.

Denn
Ford, Baines, Dixon, Platts, Peat, Proctor, Rotherforth, Dakin/Daykin, Sales, Beech, Hall, Parkin, Nightingale. ----- Harthill, Waleswood, Woodhouse-mill, Whitwell

South Yorkshire/Derbyshire/Nottinghamshire

Torremocha, Candog, Ramos, Reyes, Rodrigueus
-------Philippines --- Bohol

Offline Ebch

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Doolough Memorial
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: Friday 26 March 10 16:12 GMT (UK) »
Don't know if you saw Look North last night Tomkin?
There was a really heartwarming story - local churchgoers at Silkstone are making a stain glass window to go into the window in the church that faces the graves of the children.  They have been taught the art of stain glass - the window will have the name of each child that died. Another fitting memorial!
Mulhearn  Roche Deacey Tracy  Cordingley  Johnson Bullock  Bradley
Mayo  Roscommon  West Yorkshire  Derbyshire  Staffordshire

Offline tomkin

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: Friday 26 March 10 21:38 GMT (UK) »
 Hi Ebch,

Unfortunately I missed the transmission.

It's a project that they've been on with for quite a while.

It will indeed be a worthy addition to the church

and a reminder of that tragic event.

Tomkin

Offline Alan Gallop

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: Wednesday 31 March 10 14:38 BST (UK) »
Hello everyone,

A little while back I promised to share the cover artwork of my book 'Victoria's Children of the Dark' with readers of the forum, once it was available.  Please see link below.  The book will be available from June 1, 2010 and is a paperback edition of the book which first appeared in 2003.  Further information appears higher up on this page.

Several people have also been in touch to ask about the promotion I will be giving at the National Coal Mining Museum for England in July.  I can confirm that I will be giving talk on Saturday July 3 - times yet to be confirmed.  If you are interested in coming along - admission is free - please contact me via this forum and I will post them programme once it is available.

I look forward to meeting some of you in person.

Alan Gallop