Author Topic: 1901 census  (Read 9345 times)

Offline Michael Dixon

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: 1901 census
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 08 December 07 11:25 GMT (UK) »
Barbara,

There is a Messing ( or more)  in Essex !

Michael Dixon
Names.

GALLAGHER ( + variations).
Areas. Co Sligo, Co Leitrim, Co Mayo. IRELAND.
Ontario, CANADA
Lowell, Ma, USA
Counties of Northumberland & Durham, ENGLAND
-------------------------------------------------------------------
MALEY/MELIA/MALLEY  - with or without " O "
Westport Co Mayo. Northumberland
-------------------------------------------------------------------
DIXON
Cumberland.. Brampton, Carlisle, ENGLAND

Census information is Crown Copyright. from www.nationalarchives.

Offline Ecneps

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Rosalie Mathilda Jönsson 1916-1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 08 December 07 11:48 GMT (UK) »
Hi Michael,

Thanks, hadn't looked into it properly, that might tie in with the marriage in Witham district then, just checked and Messing is in that district
 (and still an enumerator's mistake!)

Waiting to hear from Annie about mother's maiden name before going any further back with this, there are some Boydens in Essex in earlier census...a Mary Ann in 1871 census right age born Messing ...

Barbara
 :)
`There are two lasting bequests we can give our children -  One is roots - the other is wings`- Hodding Carter

Census and bmd information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Lincs & Yorks - SIVILLS PREDGEN    Norfolk - EBBS WHITEROD ZIPFELL       Sweden - JÖNSSON CRONBERG ANDERSSON      Yorks - SPENCE HIDE HIRD      Durham - DALKIN SELBY RENWICK

Offline Ecneps

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 08 December 07 12:08 GMT (UK) »
Ok, bull by the horns, in 1871 there's a Mary Ann Boyden in Messing, in 1881 she's not there but the family now has a son Earnie who is probably the one staying with John & Mary in 1891...

1881 RG11/1798 fol.63 p.28
Messing, Essex
BOYDEN
William head m 52 Farm Labourer Essex Messing
Susannah wife m 47                           "    ===? can't read it
William   son    18  Farm Labourer      "    Messing
Ada         dau   12  Scholar                 "         "
Earnie     son     9      "                       "         "
Ada RUFFLE visitor 12 Scholar            "         "

1871 RG10/1694 fol.8 p.8
Messing, Essex
BOYDEN
William head m 44 Ag. Labourer  Messing
Susanah wife m 38                    West Bergholt
Mary A     dau     12 Winder in Silk Factory   Messing
Ellen     dau 11 Scholar  Messing
William  son  8    "               "
Laura   dau  5    "                "
Ada        "     2

Barbara  :)

`There are two lasting bequests we can give our children -  One is roots - the other is wings`- Hodding Carter

Census and bmd information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Lincs & Yorks - SIVILLS PREDGEN    Norfolk - EBBS WHITEROD ZIPFELL       Sweden - JÖNSSON CRONBERG ANDERSSON      Yorks - SPENCE HIDE HIRD      Durham - DALKIN SELBY RENWICK

Offline Wearsider

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 08 December 07 15:18 GMT (UK) »
Regarding 'Hill Cottages' in reply No7, is there any possibility that this could be 'Ewe Hill Cottages' which are at Fence Houses not too far from Hopper Street?

Wearsider.
UK - County Durham : Bell, Collinson, Drummond, Fullerton, Maughan, Messenger, Nichol, Pallister, Stobbs, Telford, Vickers, Watson.
Northumberland : Armstrong, Foster, Gill. Nichol.
County Durham Local & Mining History
RIP 1933-16 th Sept 2017

Offline annie 1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 08 December 07 20:10 GMT (UK) »
Hi wearsider,Michaelina Barbara.I thank you for all the work you have done on my behalf.Alto of info to look at,will print and read later.I have some more Q's for you later.I am going to get all my info together IE certs,paper cuttings etc.speak to all soon.
Durham:A.V.Bell.                                                                Also jack Smith lived in Stanley street Houghton.Also Eliza (Smith?)lived in Outram Street.(1949).Essex:Boyden,lived at Yew Tree Farm Messing.

Offline Ecneps

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 09 December 07 01:10 GMT (UK) »
Regarding 'Hill Cottages' in reply No7, is there any possibility that this could be 'Ewe Hill Cottages' which are at Fence Houses not too far from Hopper Street?

Hi Wearsider,

The census page just shows Hill Cottages, as I gave earlier, so I've now checked the enumeration sheet and it's for Houghton le Spring and gives Houghton Hill Cottages as one of the places on the list, no mention of Ewe Hill Cottages

Barbara  :)

Offline Wearsider

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 09 December 07 10:29 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for that information Ecneps.

I have not previously heard of 'Hill Cottages' at Houghton-le-Spring and I have checked the Godfrey edition map of 1895 and cannot finfd them there.  I am thinking that this may be a reference to the cottages at 'High Hill Side' and 'Low Hill side' that are shown on the map.

Wearsider.
UK - County Durham : Bell, Collinson, Drummond, Fullerton, Maughan, Messenger, Nichol, Pallister, Stobbs, Telford, Vickers, Watson.
RIP 1933-16 th Sept 2017

Offline Ecneps

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 09 December 07 11:06 GMT (UK) »
The full enumeration page might help you to place the cottages:

'Comprising White Lion Hotel, Golden Lion Inn.  Sunderland Street including Crulsons(?) Houses in the Hayne(?) Hall field, William Street, Edwin Street, Hirst Houses, Low Hill side, Houghton terrace, Prospect place, Houghton Hill cottages, Cemetary Lodge & the Rectory Hill Farm House'

as this entry for the Smiths came between Prospect Place and Rectory Hill Farm on the census sheet, I'm assuming Hill Cottages referred to Houghton Hill cottages

Barbara

Offline Wearsider

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 09 December 07 11:59 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks Ecneps, that very helpful.

My first guess about Houghton Hill Cottages was not correct.

Basically the census page is for the 'Sunderland Street area' of Houghton-le-Spring commencing at the Golden Lion, which is adjacent to the Parish Church and ending at the top of 'Houghton Cut'.  The Cemetery Lodge is the Lodge for  Houghton Hillside Cemetery for which there is an excellent website at www.houghton-hillside-cemetery.org.uk  The Lodge may possibly be shown on one of the photos.  The adjacent lych gate has recently been restored.

On further examination the Houghton Hill Cottages are shown on Godfrey'e map but not identified as such.  There were three reservoirs at Houghton Hill which is at the top of Houghton Cut that belonged to the Houghton-le-Spring Water Works and there are four cottages shown there. The water supply for the reservoirs came from Houghton Pit shaft.

Hope that this information is of some use to Annie.

Wearsider.
RIP 1933-16 th Sept 2017