Author Topic: Horton St Mary Maughan Burials  (Read 1708 times)

Offline habanero

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Horton St Mary Maughan Burials
« on: Wednesday 05 December 07 19:03 GMT (UK) »
Tall order but does anyone have burials for Horton from about 1843-1900ish?

Looking for Maughan burials and relationships where stated e.g. I have found a gravestone there for George and Jane Maughan (both relatives of mine) and 5 children who died in infancy. Would like to know who they were along with any other Maughan burial info.

If anyone has it, that is!

Thanking you in advance,  Anne
Grant, Charters, Knowles, Blanch, Robson, Ward, Maughan, Adams, Griffin, Lucas, Ansell, Lumsden

Offline Michael Dixon

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Horton St Mary Maughan Burials
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 06 December 07 17:02 GMT (UK) »
Anne,

As an ex-Blyth resident, I know that Blyth Library ( Local & Family History corner) has a range of info on burials at St Mary's the Virgin, Horton Parish.

I think there is a fiche with burials, and a book, handwritten and typed, in surname alpha order, containing transcriptions from Horton gravestones... and a diagram of sections of the church graveyard, Section A, B etc..

Staff at Blyth Library are always helpful, e.g. Mark and Ann
( They will not see this praise cos the library blocks internet access to all message boards ! )
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

As Blyth's population grew, the western half of it got a chapel of ease, St Mary's, a satellite of St Mary's the Virgin. This did bapts and marriages from 1864, for Blyth, the eastern corner of Horton Parish but had no graveyard.

St Mary's, Blyth, became an independent parish in 1897, but still no church graveyard.

But the area had got itself a civil cemetery in 1870s (Cowpen Cemetery), which lay within Horton Parish.

So up to the time before Cowpen Civil Cemetery opened, most burials ( RCs were buried in St Cuthberts RC, Cowpen, church graveyard) within the territory of Horton Parish, were at Horton parish church grave yard.

Then for folk at the Blyth end of the parish, burials would have been at the Cowpen civil cem. While the folk at the western end of the parish, i.e Horton itself, Bebside, etc would have still been buried at the parish church graveyard.

( The south eastern area of Blyth, that lay within the Parish of Earsdon got a chapel of ease, St Cuthbert's, in c1860, a satellite of Earsdon parish. The small graveyard of St Cuthbert's allowed a few burials, but a civil cemetery, called Blyth Cemetery, or The Links Cemetery, opened in 1860, to serve this south-eastern half of Blyth)

Trivia Angle. Today, Union Street, in the middle of Blyth, marks the old boundary line between the two parishes of Horton and Earsdon.

Michael Dixon

Names.

GALLAGHER ( + variations).
Areas. Co Sligo, Co Leitrim, Co Mayo. IRELAND.
Ontario, CANADA
Lowell, Ma, USA
Counties of Northumberland & Durham, ENGLAND
-------------------------------------------------------------------
MALEY/MELIA/MALLEY  - with or without " O "
Westport Co Mayo. Northumberland
-------------------------------------------------------------------
DIXON
Cumberland.. Brampton, Carlisle, ENGLAND

Census information is Crown Copyright. from www.nationalarchives.