Author Topic: Help with reading and a bit of background . . .  (Read 1199 times)

Offline Ebor337

• RootsChat Senior
  • The past is a foreign country, how can we go there
    • View Profile
Help with reading and a bit of background . . .
« on: Wednesday 05 December 07 22:57 GMT (UK) »
Hi again everyone!

Please could someone help me and gimpart a bit of knowledge - i would be very grateful???

Ok, I'm on the trail of the Thurston's . . . John ("Junior") was born in 12.10.1838 and the 1841 census see's 2 year old John living with his mother (33) and his siblings Susan (13), Thomas (7) and Hannah (2).

His father, also called John ("Senior") is untraceable at this stage although i possibly think he could have died between 1838 and 41 as on the 1851 census, John Junior is living with his mother, Thomas his brother and his sister susan/sarah (not sure which entry is wrong) on a farm (although here they are wrongly transcribed as Tharrtan!). . . .  It is here i have a few questions . . .

a) can you make out what it says for John Matthew's Occupation. so far i've got "farmer of 120[?], employing, 2 men, 2 boys" - does that make sense?

b) also, why would susan thurston (John Senior's wife) (does that say "widow" next to her?) be living with John Matthews? For work? Was she in a relationship with him? Was this common? ---- She was still with him in the 1861 census and down as a housekeeper so i'm guessing they are unnoficial lovers?

If you could shed any light onto these goings on, OR point me in the direction of where i could perhaps find out me information, i woudl be extremely grateful.

Kindest regards,

Lee,

P.s. I am spending every wakign hour on my research at the mo, and learnign quickly!!! Did other people do this??!!
P.p.s. 2 versions attached - one i tried editing in photoshop for clarity.

Offline JoMC

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Help with reading and a bit of background . . .
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 05 December 07 23:00 GMT (UK) »
First bit is

Farmer of 120 acres employing 2 men and 2 boys  :) It makes perfect sense. i have an ancestor just like that.

Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline Ebor337

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 05 December 07 23:06 GMT (UK) »
Thanks gadget!

I almost got there!

The more i think about it, the more i think susan and the matthews feloow were probably "involved" and John Senior died just between 1838 - 1841.  ???

Anyone else any thoughts??

Offline Bill749

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • over 70 and still wearin' genes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 05 December 07 23:25 GMT (UK) »
What I find intriguing here is that both men are shown as farmers of 120 acres - the same farm?  Maybe Matthews took over the tenancy of the farm after the husband died but, being a single man, kept her on as his housekeeper.  The sons were working the farm and the daughter working as a house servant, so he had a full staff as a job lot, probably saving money by employing members of the same family and having them live in!

Bill
Banks, Beer, Bowes, Castle, Cloak, Coachworth, Dixon, Farr, Golder, Graves, Hicks, Hogbin, Holmans, Marsh, Mummery, Nutting, Pierce, Rouse, Sawyer, Sharp, Snell, Willis: mostly in East Kent.
Ey, Sawyer: London
Evans: Ystradgynlais, Wales
Snell: Snettisham, Norfolk
Knight, Burgess, Ellis: Hampshire
Purdy: Ireland/Canada/Durham/Pennsylvania
McCann: Ireland
Morrow: Pennsylvania
Sparnon: any
Beers, Heath, Conyers, Miller, Russell, Larson, Clark, Sibert, Hopper, Reinhart: USA

Offline LFS

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 05 December 07 23:35 GMT (UK) »
Dear Lee
Have you checked Susan's maiden name - perhaps she was Matthews' sister - certainly, it was not unusual for people to be parcelled out round the family after the death of a breadwinner.  So you at least need to check out the parish records for her marriage.
Yes, when you first start you do spend hours each day - trouble is you'll still be doing that years later - but it's lots of fun.
Regards
Linda
As you say, though, they could have been an item.
Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Winson (Dby), Stanley(Sts), Harrison(Dby to Rutland), Barker/Barber((Sts), Baston (Oxon), Wiltshire(Middx), Franklin (Herts/Beds)

Offline Ebor337

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 05 December 07 23:39 GMT (UK) »
What I find intriguing here is that both men are shown as farmers of 120 acres - the same farm? 
Bill
Thanks ever so much for the response - not suite sure what you mean by both men though?? The 2 censuses are the same - i just played with colours in photoshop to see if they stoodd out any better. Sorry for any confusion!

Offline Ebor337

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 05 December 07 23:41 GMT (UK) »
Dear Lee
Have you checked Susan's maiden name
Yes, on John Junior's birth certificate we have

John Thurston - as the father - would he have had "deceased" by his name if he was dead?

and

Susan Thurston formerly Hunt - as the mother,

So it seems Matthews and Susan are not related??

Offline LFS

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 06 December 07 17:57 GMT (UK) »
Dear Lee
I have a case like this in my family history - in the early censuses he is the farmer and she is described as housekeeper, later he is described as uncle and she is the farmer - spinster - of course the four children appeared magically.
Regards
Linda
Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Winson (Dby), Stanley(Sts), Harrison(Dby to Rutland), Barker/Barber((Sts), Baston (Oxon), Wiltshire(Middx), Franklin (Herts/Beds)

Offline Shropshire Lass

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 06 December 07 18:57 GMT (UK) »
Is there any reason why the situation isn't just as it's written on the census?  A wealthy, unmarried farmer employs a widow to run his household and her sons as farm workers - she needed a home and a job, he needed a housekeeper. 

Monica
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk