Author Topic: 1760 Will - 2 little words  (Read 814 times)

Offline Emmeline

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Emma Louisa Tricker (1885-1958)
    • View Profile
1760 Will - 2 little words
« on: Thursday 06 December 07 00:02 GMT (UK) »
Please could anyone help with these two words I am unable to decipher ? I'm sure once I am told I will wonder why I couldn't read them  ::)

Sentence reads............. share of my Estate unless he shall first bring the said one thousand into  ?  ? , it being my will........

Seems Thomas Mason had a recalcitrant son - these two words are in  one other place in the Will but all I can see is Hotch pot or something similar  - please put me out of my misery  ::)

Many thanks.....

Offline Cybermouse

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: 1760 Will - 2 little words
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 06 December 07 01:35 GMT (UK) »
My guess is it would be "scotch pot" but it doesnt make sense. I've googled the word but not much came of it except as a vessel for distilling whiskey. Is the Will from a Scottish descendant? Were they distillers? :-\
Booth of Derbyshire, Susquehanna, PA and Victoria, Australia, Rogers of Lincolnshire and Yorkshire, Denial, Naylor of Yorkshire, Holloway of Staffordshire, Birch of Staffordshire, Pike of London and NSW, Australia.<br /><br />UK census data is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Emmeline

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 06 December 07 01:53 GMT (UK) »
Hello Cybermouse

Thanks for your help.  No, Thomas Mason was a  Weaver in London .........

A right puzzle this one  ???

Offline Lambendsor (aka IGS)

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 06 December 07 02:32 GMT (UK) »
I don't see why it couldn't be "Hotch pot" like you thought (though there's no capital "h" to compare it with). Take a look at Wikipedia's definition of the term:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hotch-pot

And if you Google "Hotch pot" you'll find plenty more about it.
ENDSOR: Tamworth/Manchester
LAMB: Leeds/Manchester
SMITH: Manchester
HOLMES: Kirk Ireton/Manchester
WORTHINGTON: Middleton/Manchester
SHORROCK: Manchester
BROOKS: Wilmslow/Knutsford
By marriage in Manchester: BAXENDALE, DODD, EYERS, FIRTH, FISHER, FO(R)STER, HARGREAVES, J(A/E)RVIS, McKEOWN, OSBALDESTON, PICKWELL, PODMORE, SCHOFIELD, SHALLCROSS, STONES, WALKER
GREY, DOYLE, GOLDEN, MONAHAN: Ireland
HAWE, FRENEY, NARY: Co. Kilkenny
DONOHO and variants: Co. Longford

Offline Cybermouse

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 06 December 07 02:40 GMT (UK) »
Hi Emmeline,
Seems Lambendsor beat me to it! ::) Wikipedia has the term Hotch Pot as the name given to a rule of equity in english law.
The link will give more detail. :)

Cheers
Bron
Booth of Derbyshire, Susquehanna, PA and Victoria, Australia, Rogers of Lincolnshire and Yorkshire, Denial, Naylor of Yorkshire, Holloway of Staffordshire, Birch of Staffordshire, Pike of London and NSW, Australia.<br /><br />UK census data is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Emmeline

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 06 December 07 03:00 GMT (UK) »
Wonderful  IGS and Bron. Many thanks. :-*

Two more little words - Foolish Woman - I should have looked at Wikipedia first before giving up. ::) ::)

Don't you love that term Hotch Pot - let's hope his son brought and put his one thousand pounds back there.

Appreciation............

Offline Siamese Girl

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 06 December 07 11:36 GMT (UK) »
OED:

3. Eng. Law. = HOTCHPOT 2.

1602 2nd Pt. Return fr. Parnass. IV. ii. 1586 If that fee-simple, and the fee taile be put together it is called hotch potch.
 1646 J. TEMPLE Irish Rebell. 9 note He assembled the whole Septs, and having put all their possessions together in hotch-potch, made a new partition among them.
a1656 USSHER Ann. VI. (1658) 189.

..... you live and learn!

Carole
CHILD Glos/London, BONUS London, DIMSDALE London, HODD and TUTT Sussex,  BONNER and PATTEN Essex, BOWLER and HOLLIER Oxfordshire, HUGH Lincolnshire, LEEDOM all.

Offline Emmeline

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 06 December 07 20:33 GMT (UK) »
Hi Carole

Don't you just love the way this family research leads us in all sorts of directions.

One really learns so much :) :) :)

Thanks you for information - a legal  term it seems  which goes back a very long way  ::)