Author Topic: Moore  (Read 3772 times)

Offline lindy46

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Moore
« on: Thursday 06 December 07 13:48 GMT (UK) »
Is there any one out there who can tell me who inhabited 6 Orry Street, Conchan prior to 1901.
Thanks
Lindy
Lindsay, Cleminson, Vannen, Headly, Wall, Smith, Knight, Forster, Hearing, Watson, Winship, Wood, Gray, Curry, Shields, Young, Wilkinson, Johnson, Rodham, Allison, Kirkby, Moore(s), Gregory, Ellison, Wilkes, Cowin, Quine, Connor, Cannell, Crow, Corlett, Crain, Ormerod, Higham, Dootson, Christian, Vaughan, Caine, Curghey, Gigg, Trunfull.

Offline Ecneps

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Rosalie Mathilda Jönsson 1916-1999
    • View Profile
Re: Moore
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 06 December 07 14:24 GMT (UK) »
Hi Lindy

1891 RG12/4688 fol.51 p.26
6 Orry St, Conchan, Douglas, I.O.M
QUINE
Thomas  Head  Mar 57      Quarryman    Lonan
Esther     Wife     Mar 56                   Douglas
Arthur H Son    S    23      Quarryman       Laxey
William J Son    S   20       Labourer           Laxey
Robert S Son    S   18         Mason             Laxey
Alfred        "      S   16     Mason              Laxey
Frederic C  "     S   14      Sugar Boiler      Douglas
Rebecca J Dau       13                                 Laxey
Walter        Son       10      Scholar              Lonan
George A  Son          7      Scholar              Lonan
Thomas YOUNG Son In Law Mar 23    Confectioner    Douglas
Frances J   "      Dau    Mar 21                        Laxey
Thomas A  "  Grandson      1                      Douglas

Barbara
`There are two lasting bequests we can give our children -  One is roots - the other is wings`- Hodding Carter

Census and bmd information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Lincs & Yorks - SIVILLS PREDGEN    Norfolk - EBBS WHITEROD ZIPFELL       Sweden - JÖNSSON CRONBERG ANDERSSON      Yorks - SPENCE HIDE HIRD      Durham - DALKIN SELBY RENWICK

Offline lindy46

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 09 December 07 11:24 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for that - I was hoping it might have been a relative of William Joseph Moore who was living there when the 1901 census was completed. I cannot find where he was living in 1881 - it is a complete mystery which I cannot unravel.
Lindsay, Cleminson, Vannen, Headly, Wall, Smith, Knight, Forster, Hearing, Watson, Winship, Wood, Gray, Curry, Shields, Young, Wilkinson, Johnson, Rodham, Allison, Kirkby, Moore(s), Gregory, Ellison, Wilkes, Cowin, Quine, Connor, Cannell, Crow, Corlett, Crain, Ormerod, Higham, Dootson, Christian, Vaughan, Caine, Curghey, Gigg, Trunfull.

Offline Ecneps

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 09 December 07 11:47 GMT (UK) »
So who are you actually trying to trace and when?

Thomas Nelson who was in Orry Street in 1901 or William J. Moore? You asked about the 1901 census but you say you can't find 'him' in 1881.   If you give full details perhaps we can find him for you

Barbara

edit: just realised William Moores was living at the same address as Thomas Nelson in 1901, sorry about the name mixup!
`There are two lasting bequests we can give our children -  One is roots - the other is wings`- Hodding Carter

Census and bmd information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Lincs & Yorks - SIVILLS PREDGEN    Norfolk - EBBS WHITEROD ZIPFELL       Sweden - JÖNSSON CRONBERG ANDERSSON      Yorks - SPENCE HIDE HIRD      Durham - DALKIN SELBY RENWICK

Offline lindy46

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 09 December 07 13:34 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
I am trying to trace the exact birthplace, date and mother of William Joseph Moore(s) who was allegedly born in 1875 in Manchester. He married in 1895 to Margaret Jane Ellison in Isle of Man (marriage cert shows a William Joseph Moore being his father) and he died in 1967 in Bolton.  It would appear he lived with his grandmother Janet McMurchie in 1891 in the Isle of Man but I can find no trace of a marriage between the senior William Moore and one of the 5 daughters that Janet had. I have been searching for nearly 2 years but so far I have not found any clues only brick walls so would appreciate any help you can give. Thanks

Offline Ecneps

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 09 December 07 15:26 GMT (UK) »
Hi Lindy,

I know you've been doing this for two years, but something strikes me straight away.  There are lots of Moores on the Isle of Man and in Manchester etc, is it possible he's not the one in 1891 living with his grandmother Janet McMurchie?  That young man was a coachsmith apprentice, and in 1901 if I've got the right couple, William is a stonemason(waller), very different.  Can you please post the 1901 census ref?

What was his occupation on his marriage cert to Margaret Jane Ellison?
Where does the address 6 Orry Street come into things?

Barbara
edit, now found William on 1901 at 6 Orry St, several families living at same address!

Offline Frances_mnb

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 09 December 07 15:35 GMT (UK) »
There has been some discussion (quite extensive but limited to daus) at http://www.isle-of-man.com/cgi-bin/interests/genealogy/bulletin/index.pl?noframes;read=515028

however another possibility is via an illeg child of a McMurchie dau - remember the Manx knew such children by their father's name.
any thing with a Manx Connection

Offline lindy46

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 10 December 07 09:27 GMT (UK) »
Hi Barbara,
The reason why I think the William Joseph on the 1891 census is correct is because he named one of his sons Seth McMurchie Moores ( born in 1910 Douglas) which I feel is too much of a coincidence.

The 1901 Isle of Man census reference is :- Class RG13 Piece 5303 Folio 42 Page36

On the marriage certificate it is noted as Mason.

Orry Street is where William and Margaret lived as per 1901 census.

Lindy

Offline lindy46

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 10 December 07 09:35 GMT (UK) »
Hi Francis,

I have been in discussions on the Isle of Man Bulletin Board but to date, unfortunately, I have not received any information that has helped me in my quest to find a connection between the McMurchies and the Moores. You have a valid point that perhaps no marriage took place between these two parties. I have even looked at the marriage dissenters list which I obtained from the LDS but to no avail. Thanks for your your interest.
Lindy(Angela)