Author Topic: MI's  (Read 56696 times)

Offline Mcpoodle17

• RootsChat Extra
  • 3 James Thomson Baxters
    • View Profile
Re: MI's
« Reply #72 on: Tuesday 20 January 09 20:37 GMT (UK) »
Hi, I was looking for george Bell and marion anderson who married  in 1827 and when i googled  just in a wild hit and hope i came across the names archibald anderson and jean hogg- marion's parents names- my 5 x great grandfather and grandmother.

There was a list on Andersons you put down and i wasnt too sure if they were children of this couple or just anderson names and dates.

thanks in advance,

Andrew
mcadam ,baxter, bell, anderson, duffus, geddes, montgomery, halliday, knox

Offline hume

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: Wednesday 21 January 09 00:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi Spacot,

What a very generous offer. :) I don't want to ask too much, but I'm looking for Gillan/Gillon/Gillane in Oldhamstocks, Spott and Innerwick? I also have Wallaces in Innerwick/Spott.

Thank you,
hume24

In Dunbar Methodist Church there is grafitti on the walls of the pump room (it's actually a very small space rather than a room) there is the name of a Peter Gillan late 1800's. Presumably he was a boy to fit into such a small place. Anyway, if anyone has details of him I would be interested to hear.

Hi MacT,

Thanks for your reply to my post. :) I do have two Peter Gillans in my family tree; one born 1859 in Oldhamstocks and later moved to Spott, and then Dunbar. The other born 1895 in Spott was his son, and he died 1954 in Dunbar. However, there was a few fishing families with the name Gillan (variants were Gullen and Gullane) and Peter was quite a common name with them, so it could easily be one of them I'm afraid. Am I right in saying the Methodist Church is on Victoria St? Think I remember seeing it when I was up the year before last.

Thanks again,
hume

Offline shopper

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: Saturday 07 February 09 13:08 GMT (UK) »
Hi
Wondererd if you have anything for the surname HAZZARD or HASSARD at Yester.
Thanks
Shopper

Offline ajjbc

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: Saturday 06 June 09 17:02 BST (UK) »
Luckdog...
              RE: Elizabeth Rutherford and William Huggan...
Was William Huggan born c1810 & died 1869 the son of Agnes Hale and William Huggan. ???
IRELAND: Algeo,Armstrong,Brick, ,Hendren/Hendron,Hopkins,Ramage,   SCOTLAND:Ashcroft, Aitchison,Armstrong,Bathgate,Blair,Bruce,Brunton,Clarke/Clerk,Crozier, Dickson,Dobson,Dryden,Eaton,Forbis,Gillie/Gillies, Haliburton, Henderson,Higgins,Hogg,Huggan,Hunter,Hutton,Kersel,Kidd/Kyd,Laidlaw,Heugh,Matson,McLuckie,Marchbank,Miller,Notman,Peacock, Prentice,Redpath,Richardson,Roger Riddell,Ruthven,Scobbie,Simson, Spiers/Speirs,Spottiswood,Tinline, Thorburn,Thomson,Turnbull,Waddel,Waldie ,Waugh.Younger

Offline ellvera

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: Thursday 02 July 09 09:14 BST (UK) »
Hi Spacot
could I ask you to look for a MI for John Hogg spouse of Margaret Wilson? She died in 1865 at Garvald ,don't know when  or where he died but can't find him after 1861 census,or pin him down on SP
Thanks
Barbara

Offline hume

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: Thursday 02 July 09 14:30 BST (UK) »
Hi Barbara,

I have the MI book for the East Lothian parishes also, but there's no mention of this family in it.

Is this them in 1861?

Address: Bara, Garvald, Haddingtonshire
John Hogg, head, mar., 50, shepherd, b. Ormiston
Margaret Hogg, wife, 53, -, b. Gladsmuir
Margaret Hogg, dau., unm., 32, outworker, b. Morham
Alexander Hogg, son, unm., 14, outworker, b. Prestonkirk

hume :)

Offline ellvera

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: Friday 03 July 09 03:46 BST (UK) »
Thankyou hume
Yes,I think that is them ,though the daughter, Margaret is new to me and John was born in Cranston,Midlothian according to other census & IGI. I am not sure where Ormiston is - will have to get the map out.
I should have said; John was born 1808 & was the informant on Margaret's death cert in 1865 and also not noted as deceased on his son, Robert's marriage cert in 1869.
Much appreciated
Barbara :)

Offline hume

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: Friday 03 July 09 14:28 BST (UK) »
Hi Barbara,

Ormiston is in Haddingtonshire, but quite close to the county border with Midlothian. I suppose he could have been mistaken where he was born, or just chose the largest town depending on when he was asked. Definitely his death certificate would confirm parents' names.

That's the problem though - he doesn't want to be found. With such a narrow time frame and a relatively uncommon name, you would think it easy. :-\ Possibly moved out of country (did any children move far afield?) or re-married, and the son "disowned" him if it were. Or just a really bad transcription error!

hume :)

Offline ellvera

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: Saturday 04 July 09 03:18 BST (UK) »
Yes,that is the problem - I have 18 possible deaths on SP,just hoping a MI would pin him down.Maybe I will look at the re- marriage angle - or the marriages of some of the other children.There were 7 of them.
I think I did look for the girls' marriages ,thinking he may have gone to live with a daughter.Though  you are probably right & it is a transcription error ??? I have been stuck with John for a while now,so will just have to be patient.
Thanks for your help
Barbara