Author Topic: John Peter SMITH 1851  (Read 4433 times)

Offline tropicalj

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • six grandkids
    • View Profile
Re: John Peter SMITH 1851
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 08 December 07 23:03 GMT (UK) »
Hello  there
Anne S

glad  to  have been of  some help  to  you.  If  you  have  anyone else you want checking on  just ask away

kind regards Jenn
When you search for ancestors, you find great friends!
I live in Townsville researching
TOWNSEND,PINNEGAR, STRANGE, PULLEN, GRIFFIN from Wiltshire,,
SHOEBRIDGE, VINALL, BRINDLE, Kent
BAYLEY, Dorset,Yorkshire,
HAIR, Durham,
CUMMINS, BROWNLESS from Yorkshire,
EDSALL,  Cornwall,
MORGAN, HENNESSY, BAKER,  Ireland.
VAN REYK Sri Lanka
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.au

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 09 December 07 00:19 GMT (UK) »
Think I am going to invent a new cliche for family historians

"Worse than finding Smith in a census'

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Sue

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 09 December 07 08:17 GMT (UK) »
Aaaaah I am tearing my hair out - I just finished a long informative post and then it disappeared into goodness knows where.  Never ever had that happen before.  Blast.  Well here goes again.

I cannot find Emma BEATTIE's death reg.  I have checked every Emma SMITH on the index between 1873 [birth of Frances Bertram] and 1881 - marriage of John Peter with Maria Elizabeth SCHULTZE.  I have checked the Divorce Index - nil.

Frances Bertram b. 1873 and Edward b. 1872 both died in 1874.  Then we have the births of two children to Maria SCHULZE [fathers unknown] in 1877 of Adelaide Florence [John Peter SMITH was named as father on death reg] and in 1879 of Alice Mary Mary and now in 1880

BIRTH
SCHULZE Edward Richard
Father Unknown
Mother  Maria SCHULZE
Place SOUTH YARRA
Year 1880  Reg No 25281

From Jen
Edward Smith   died 1949 aged 70 at Mel reg no 2931 (but cannot find a  birth to  match  with  him  in 1877c)
This Edward  born either 1879 or 1880.

Marriage
SMITH Edward Richard
SARGEANT Dorothy
Year 1934  Reg No 6714

Marriage
SMITH Elsie May    b. South Yarra
ROBERTS Charles Eldren   b. New South Wales
Year 1909   Reg No 615

I can see no children to 1920 - limit of birth indexes.

Death Certificates in Victoria are very informative. If you wished to pursue descendants I would suggest downloading the death certificates of both Edward and Elsie - it would give the names of their children if  known to the informant at time of death.

Reply 24 on the following link detailed by Jen will give you info available on the Victorian birth, death and marriage certificates
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,240631.0.html

Cheers
cando

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 09 December 07 10:43 GMT (UK) »
Hi Cando,
Have to say I have often suffered from the diappearing reply.
Seems usually when you just pop off for a second to check something on a different site or such.
I discovered these 2 things which occasionally, but not always help.  You should know, I am not technical,  just desperate and annoyed like you.

Whenever you go anywhere away from the reply you're part way through, minimize it so it is a little window on the bottom of your screen and you can click on it and bring it back.  You can then ramble about and it won't go anywhere, just wait for you.

Also, the reply window on rootschat does not have a button for "undo last" like on ordinary email. [Well not that I,ve located at least]
When a paragraph you've just finished disappears as seems to happen to me a lot you have to use the keyboard shortcut for undo last" which is ctrl+z.  When you do that, it pops back again.

Anyhow, don't know if that's of any use. :)
Sue
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 09 December 07 12:55 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for your suggestions Sue, however I pressed "Post" and then nothing and when I clicked on back [left arrow] nothing.  I just swore :-[ :-[ and started all over again. 

I will try  ctrl+z next time.  Thanks for pointing that out to me.

Cheers
cando
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline moscowman

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 13 December 08 13:04 GMT (UK) »
Hi all,

with regard to John Peter Smith (son of Job Smith and Elizabeth Eagle) who died in 1900 in South Yarra in Victoria Australia, I can tell you that he married Maria Elizabeth Schultze (sometimes spelled Schulze) in the early 1880s - he was 49 and she was 23.  They had a number of children, one of whom was Robert (Graham - he referred to himself with this middle name but it was not on his birth entry) Smith, who was my great grandfather.

I dont know how he came to Australia, but he was listed in his marriage entry to Beattie and to Schultze as a 'traveller' as well as on the birth entry for many of his children. Later in his life he was listed as an excise inspector, and he died of cancer of the oesophagus.

I have (pdf) marriage and birth entries from the Victorian births, deaths and marriages site.  I would be quite happy to send them to anyone wanting copies.

If anyone has info on what John Peter's parents were and who his ancestors were then I would love to hear from you.

Moscowman

Offline eveder

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 15 December 08 11:01 GMT (UK) »
Hello there, moscowman
                                       Was your Robert [Graham] SMITH b.1852 Melbourne OZ ?
 The John Peter SMITH son of John[Job] SMITH & Elizabeth Eagle was b. 1832 at
St Andrews Holborn Middx. England find family in 1841/51 Census 30 March 1851
St Pancras Middx.HO107 piece 1495 Folio 83 Page 65.
   If you read back from your correspondence of 13 December 2008 you will find more info. Do you know Trevor SMITH in NZ. or Anne Shipley in Canada also related?
  Lots more info. to unfold but not sure of J. P.SMITH of 1852
                                                eveder

Offline moscowman

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 16 December 08 09:11 GMT (UK) »
Hi there, Eveder,

No Robert (Graham) Smith was born in 1882 and died in 1966.  John Peter Smith had his children with Maria Schultze (Schulze) after the late 1870s.  He had some out of wedlock with her.  This could have been while he was still married to his first wife Emma Beattie (I dont know).  He is buried in St Kilda cemetery in Melbourne with Maria Smith (nee Schultze) and some of their children who are buried under the names Smith and also Schultze (which leads me to the view these may actually be his).  As far as I know nobody in the Melbourne end of things (I am in Moscow Russia, but come from Melbourne) knows anything about relatives in New Zealand or Canada.  This is because Robert Graham Smith was pretty much incommunicado with his family.  He left his (first) wife during WW1 and then came home with another english wife.

Would love to get in contact with you if you have more info on John Peter Smith

Cheers

Moscowman

Offline moscowman

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 16 December 08 09:25 GMT (UK) »
If its any use to anyone I have a jpeg of John Peter Smith's death entry in Victorian records and will quite happily email it to anyone who wants it.

Moscowman