Author Topic: Ancestor drops off the radar... advice please.  (Read 1847 times)

Offline jillruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Poppy
    • View Profile
Ancestor drops off the radar... advice please.
« on: Friday 07 December 07 20:46 GMT (UK) »
I'd welcome some advice please.

I know it can't be an unusual occurrence but I have an ancestor who just disappears! Can't find him anywhere! Gone!  ;D

Here's a quick summary of the background -

- He's married and living with family in East Yorks on the 1851 census;
- His last child (my line) is born in 1852;
- His wife has an illegitimate son in 1858 (according to the IGI - no father's name given);
- On the 1861 census - wife and family living in same place, wife is described as 'M' rather than 'W'. No sign of hubbie.
- On the 1871 census, wife described as widow.

I can't find any sign of a local burial for him and no obvious death registration - though it's not an uncommon surname (Bishop).

Is it possible he left his family and emigrated? If so, what records can I check (I haven't dealt with emigration before)?

If he was in prison or had joined the army, would he show up on different census returns? If so, where should I look?

Thanks,

Jill
HELP!!!

BATHSHEBA BOOTHROYD bn c. 1802 W. Yorks.

Baptism nowhere to be found. Possibly in a nonconformist church near ALMONDBURY or HUDDERSFIELD.

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Ancestor drops off the radar... advice please.
« Reply #1 on: Friday 07 December 07 21:42 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jill

Anything is possible!

Assuming you have checked the full indexes for a death, using any possible misspellings you can think of - then try everything else.

With the help of Rootschatters I just found a lost rellie who was using a pseudonym!

If he was in jail or hospital he might be shown by his initials only - you will need to search on these plus date and place of birth.

Try asking on the Emigrants board, maybe one at a time to start with!  It has been known for people to come and go, even when the journey was as long as it was back then!

If you want to post the full details here, we could have a look for you?

kind regards, Arranroots  ;)
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SOM: BIRD, BURT aka BROWN - HEF: BAUGH, LATHAM, CARTER, PRITCHARD - GLS: WEBB, WORKMAN, LATHAM, MALPUS - WIL: WEBB, SALTER - RAD: PRITCHARD, WILLIAMS - GLA: RYAN, KEARNEY, JONES, HARRY - MON: WEBB, MORGAN, WILLIAMS, JONES, BIRD - SCOTLAND: HASTINGS, CAMERON, KELSO, BUCHANAN, BETHUNE/ BEATON - IRELAND: RYAN (WATERFORD), KEARNEY (DUBLIN), BOYLE(DUNDALK)

Offline jillruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Poppy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 07 December 07 22:13 GMT (UK) »
That's a kind offer, Arranroots. Thanks.

I have trod this path before - this is the thread

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,237451.0.html

which should give all the details.

Having exhausted the local PRs, I thought it might be a good idea to try the emigration/prison/army options, but didn't know where to start.

Of course, if he left his family and changed his name in order to marry someone else bigamously, I reckon he's lost to posterity!

I even interrogated (  ::) ) my aged auntie this afternoon when I made my pre Christmas visit, but he was her great grandfather - well before her time - and she can't remember any talk of a family scandal concerning him!!   :-X

Jill
HELP!!!

Baptism nowhere to be found. Possibly in a nonconformist church near ALMONDBURY or HUDDERSFIELD.

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 07 December 07 22:54 GMT (UK) »
Will hope to take another look tomorrow , Jill - have made a note (unless anyone beats me to it, lol!)

;)
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SOM: BIRD, BURT aka BROWN - HEF: BAUGH, LATHAM, CARTER, PRITCHARD - GLS: WEBB, WORKMAN, LATHAM, MALPUS - WIL: WEBB, SALTER - RAD: PRITCHARD, WILLIAMS - GLA: RYAN, KEARNEY, JONES, HARRY - MON: WEBB, MORGAN, WILLIAMS, JONES, BIRD - SCOTLAND: HASTINGS, CAMERON, KELSO, BUCHANAN, BETHUNE/ BEATON - IRELAND: RYAN (WATERFORD), KEARNEY (DUBLIN), BOYLE(DUNDALK)

Offline Carmela

• RootsChat Senior
  • Trixie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 08 December 07 05:09 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jill,
Another possibility is transportation to Australia. I believe that there was a law whereby a man was considered legally
dead after a 7 year absence from home, if his wife had not heard from him during that time. This might explain why George's wife was without husband, but married in 1861
and a widow in 1871, all without there being any record of his death.
Wives of transported convicts often remarried, calling themselves widows, sometimes long before the 7 years had elapsed.
If you do decide to explore this possibility, the first thing to look for would be a record of the trial in assizes records or
newspaper archives, both probably at the county record office. I know nothing about Yorkshire research.

If you find that he was convicted of a crime and sentenced to transportation, the people on the Australia board can help you with Australian records.

(btw--we have a connection. I am a descendant of the Bradfields, but having no more luck than you. Contact me by pm, if you wish)

Regards,
Carmela
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationararchives.gov.uk

Current obsessions:
OXF: Rose of Wheatley and Holton 1700s
BRK: Stevenson of East Hanney 1600-1880s
BKM: Woodman of Wing
DEV: Youlden of Whimple
SOM: Smith, Gudge, Joy and Tett of Crewkerne

Offline MarieC

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • In Queensland, Oz
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 08 December 07 07:42 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jill

I sympathise!  I have two gggrandparents who did this and it is maddening.  In the case of the man, it was similar - his wife described herself as married for some time after he disappeared, then as widow. 

Another possibility - he could have gone bankrupt.  This is what happened to my gggrandfather Edward Martin, and he disappeared shortly thereafter.  If you look at the London Gazette online (google for London gazette or gazettes-online), you can search by name and it has bankruptcy notices.  This is how I found Edward's bankruptcy.

He could have changed his name - in which case you wouldn't find him, since people could just decide to do that.  He could have emigrated.  The goldrushes in California and Australia began in the early 1850s and attracted many people.  There are no emigration records in Britain before 1890, as far as I know, but you might get lucky with shipping lists and passenger lists.  It would be a major search as it is just a "Maybe" and you don't know which country.

I have thought of all these things for my Edward, but it hasn't helped me find him!!  :'( :'(  Good luck!  :)

MarieC
Census information is Crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Martins in London and Wales, Lockwoods in Yorkshire, Hartleys in London, Lichfield and Brighton, Hubands and Smiths in Ireland, Bentleys in London and Yorkshire, Denhams in Somerset, Scoles in London, Meyers in London, Cooks in Northumberland

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 08 December 07 07:53 GMT (UK) »
Hi [from Aust.] Jill,

When/if you are ready to share his name and parental and birth date details on the Aussie board, you my get a get a lead.  Worth a try anyway.  We have some really good records and some good searchers too ;D
Sue

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline jillruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Poppy
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 08 December 07 12:01 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for all the suggestions.

There are so many different options to pursue!

I don't think bankruptcy is likely - he was only a lowly ag lab. Transportation might be nearer the mark - especially with this 7 year rule which would account for his wife still calling herself 'married' in the 1861 census.

(Actually, is there any way that I can transport a little white and black cat who is refusing to let me type this and has covered my notes with little wet paw prints (raining cats and dogs outside!! Tee! Hee!)   ::)

Sue, I think I'll pursue the Aussie Board and see if anyone can find a record of him being transported.

Jill
HELP!!!

Offline jeanlit

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 08 December 07 12:11 GMT (UK) »
Jill

Too late for transportation to Australia.

As someone else mentioned, the gold rush started in Australian in 1852 so this is the most likely. 

Jean