Author Topic: Ancestor drops off the radar... advice please.  (Read 1848 times)

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Ancestor drops off the radar... advice please.
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 08 December 07 22:03 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jill

I have had a look, based on the info you give in the thread you mention above.

I find it quite confusing - you say your George is baptised in Hedon, yet the only birthplace and census place on censeses is Key(n)ingham, Yorkshire.  How did you identify that the baptism applies to your George?

In 1853 my ancestor was sentenced to transportation and never seen again.  Although it is generally given as being "too late" I have no evidence that the sentence was commuted.

Sorry not to be more helpful at this stage.

kind regards, Arranroots  ;)
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SOM: BIRD, BURT aka BROWN - HEF: BAUGH, LATHAM, CARTER, PRITCHARD - GLS: WEBB, WORKMAN, LATHAM, MALPUS - WIL: WEBB, SALTER - RAD: PRITCHARD, WILLIAMS - GLA: RYAN, KEARNEY, JONES, HARRY - MON: WEBB, MORGAN, WILLIAMS, JONES, BIRD - SCOTLAND: HASTINGS, CAMERON, KELSO, BUCHANAN, BETHUNE/ BEATON - IRELAND: RYAN (WATERFORD), KEARNEY (DUBLIN), BOYLE(DUNDALK)

Offline jeanlit

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 08 December 07 23:29 GMT (UK) »
Just to repeat from the Emigrants to Australia listing:

From Wikipedia:
With increasing numbers of free settlers entering New South Wales and Van Diemens Land by the mid-1830s, opposition to the transportation of felons into the colonies grew. The most influential spokesmen were newspaper proprietors who were also members of the Independent Congregation Church such as John Fairfax in Sydney and the Reverend John West in Launceston, who argued against convicts both as competition to honest free labourers and as the source of crime and vice within the colony. The anti-transportation movement was seldom concerned with the inhumanity of the system, but rather the hated stain it was believed to inflict on the free (non-emancipist) middle classes.

Transportation to New South Wales ended in 1840, by which time some 150,000 convicts had been sent to the colonies. The sending of convicts to Brisbane in its Moreton Bay district had ceased the previous year, and administration of Norfolk Island was later transferred to Van Diemens Land.

The continuation of transportation to Van Diemens Land saw the rise of a well-coordinated anti- transportation movement, especially following a severe economic depression in the early 1840s. Transportation was temporarily suspended in 1846 but soon revived with overcrowding of British gaols and clamour for the availability of transportation as a deterrent. By the late 1840s most convicts being sent to Van Diemens Land (plus those to Victoria) were designated as "exiles" and were free to work for pay while under sentence. In 1850 the Australasian Anti-Transportation League was formed to lobby for the permanent cessation of transportation, its aims being furthered by the commencement of the Australian gold rushes the following year. The last convict ship to be sent from England, the St. Vincent, arrived in 1853, and on 10 August 1853 Jubilee festivals in Hobart and Launceston celebrated 50 years of European settlement with the official end of transportation.

Transportation continued in small numbers to Western Australia. The last convict ship to arrive in Western Australia, the Hougoumont, left Britain in 1867 and arrived in Western Australia on 10 January 1868. In all, about 164,000 convicts were transported to the Australian colonies between 1788 and 1868.

Jean

So transportation to NSW stopped in 1840,  Queensland 1839, Tasmania 1853, Western Australia 1868  -- according to above  Victoria ?

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 09 December 07 11:28 GMT (UK) »
Hello Jean

That's very helpful thanks - seems to rule out Oz - I wonder where else transportation was still operating, if anywhere?  I know some were sent to Bermuda (always seems odd since we pay so much for the privilege these days!!)

I am still puzzled as to how Jill identified which chap was hers on previous records anyway!

;)

p.s. Jill has indeed posted on the Oz board - missed that while I was away yesterday!  Jill, please post cross references, or we will get in a terrible tangle trying to keep up with you, lol!

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,272598.msg1566368.html#msg1566368

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SOM: BIRD, BURT aka BROWN - HEF: BAUGH, LATHAM, CARTER, PRITCHARD - GLS: WEBB, WORKMAN, LATHAM, MALPUS - WIL: WEBB, SALTER - RAD: PRITCHARD, WILLIAMS - GLA: RYAN, KEARNEY, JONES, HARRY - MON: WEBB, MORGAN, WILLIAMS, JONES, BIRD - SCOTLAND: HASTINGS, CAMERON, KELSO, BUCHANAN, BETHUNE/ BEATON - IRELAND: RYAN (WATERFORD), KEARNEY (DUBLIN), BOYLE(DUNDALK)

Offline MarieC

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • In Queensland, Oz
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 09 December 07 11:46 GMT (UK) »
She'll come back some time, Arranroots!  :)

This chap could have been transported to Western Australia where, as Jean says, transportation finished in 1868 - could even have sneaked in on the last ship to Tasmania!  I still think the gold rushes in Oz or California are distinct possibilities.

MarieC
Census information is Crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Martins in London and Wales, Lockwoods in Yorkshire, Hartleys in London, Lichfield and Brighton, Hubands and Smiths in Ireland, Bentleys in London and Yorkshire, Denhams in Somerset, Scoles in London, Meyers in London, Cooks in Northumberland

Offline jillruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Poppy
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 09 December 07 12:27 GMT (UK) »
Hi all,

Thanks for all the help.

Arranroots, its such a long time ago that I identified my George Bishop's baptism in Hedon that I've been struggling to remember!

I know he gives his birthplace as Keyingham in the 1851 census but I've been through the Keyingham PRs at the RO - and he wasn't from there. His wife's family was from Keyingham and all his children were baptised there, so I reckon either the enumerator assumed, or George just went along with it!

I think I did a bit of lateral thinking. Hedon is very near Keyingham (about 5 miles). There are 2 George Bishops baptised there in 1815 and 1816 respectively (they were cousins). The 1815 George has both parents mentioned in his baptism record - the 1816 George has just his mother (Rebecca).

My George's marriage certificate to Ann in 1838 does not give any father's details + I found a Settlement Order for the other George's family to Norfolk, where I found his marriage (funnily enough to a Rebecca!) and him living in Kings Lynn on the later censuses.

I've been through the PRs for other neighbouring parishes and no other George Bishop of the right era came to light.

If George was in prison or in hospital, wouldn't he be included in the 'normal' census in 1861? What about if he was in the armed forces? I'm trying to remember if there was any major conflict going on in the 1850s. Wasn't the Crimean War about then? If he had been killed in action, where would I find his death certificate?

Sorry about not cross referencing the threads - I forgot!  :'(

Having said that, if George was transported to W Australia - are there any records I can check?

Sorry - so many questions! I really want to find out what happened to this chap!  :-\

Jill
HELP!!!

BATHSHEBA BOOTHROYD bn c. 1802 W. Yorks.

Baptism nowhere to be found. Possibly in a nonconformist church near ALMONDBURY or HUDDERSFIELD.

Offline MarieC

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • In Queensland, Oz
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 09 December 07 12:47 GMT (UK) »

If George was in prison or in hospital, wouldn't he be included in the 'normal' census in 1861? What about if he was in the armed forces? I'm trying to remember if there was any major conflict going on in the 1850s. Wasn't the Crimean War about then? If he had been killed in action, where would I find his death certificate?

Having said that, if George was transported to W Australia - are there any records I can check?

Jill

Yes, as Arranroots said he may just be in the census with his initials if in an institution of some kind.  He should be there if he was still in England (but mine wasn't!)  :(

I think the Crimean War was in the 1860s but I could be wrong. 

I'm not an expert on WA convicts but if you post on the Emigrants to Australia board, and also check the resources that are there, I'm sure you will find help.  Finding him as a gold rush emigrant would be more difficult.  You could check Australian death indexes for him to see if he died here!

MarieC
Census information is Crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Martins in London and Wales, Lockwoods in Yorkshire, Hartleys in London, Lichfield and Brighton, Hubands and Smiths in Ireland, Bentleys in London and Yorkshire, Denhams in Somerset, Scoles in London, Meyers in London, Cooks in Northumberland