Author Topic: Try and get your head round this then. Servant Family.  (Read 944 times)

Offline coombs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Research the dead....forget the living.
    • View Profile
Try and get your head round this then. Servant Family.
« on: Saturday 08 December 07 10:51 GMT (UK) »
Hi

My ggggrandfather Thomas Roberts was born in 1813 in Kemsing, Kent son of Thomas and Ann Roberts. Thomas Snr was a servant and butler who died in Kemsing in 1835. They had wed in 1807 in Patrixbourne in East Kent.

Thomas born 1813 and his wife Esther had a daughter Ann Elizabeth Roberts born in 1851 in Woolwich, Kent. They are on the 1861 census in Brighton. Esther died in 1863 and Thomas moved to London and remarried in 1864 and he describes his father as Thomas Roberts deceased, Servant.

In 1871 census, Ann Elizabeth Roberts is 19, born Woolwich, Kent and living with Henry & Elizabeth Bloomfield aged 60 (Elizabeth was born St George Han square, London c1810) in 177 Grange Road Bermondsey, South London in 1871 census, with a daughter Ann Luff Roberts aged 1 who was born at 177 Grange Road in Oct 1869. Ann Elizabeth Roberts wed in 1873 to Sidney Luff, thus making her daughter Ann Luff Roberts just Ann Luff as her mum wed her alleged father.

In the 1881 census, Elizabeth Bloomfield was the Head of Household, aged 70, born St George Han square, widowed and still living at 177 Grange Road, with Ann Luff aged 11 and her sister Esther Luff aged 7. Their father Sidney had died in 1874 and their mum remarried in 1878 to Henry Bastable. Ann and Esther were neices to Elizabeth on the 1881 census in the relationships column. I was stunned when I looked them up on the 1881 census for the first time as this gave me a lead.

Henry Bloomfield, Elizabeth's late husband had married her in 1852 and I was also stunned to find her maiden name was Elizabeth Roberts, and the 1852 marriage cert says that she was 41 and fathers name was Thomas Roberts, deceased, a Butler. I found Elizabeth on the 1841 and 1851 census in Bermondsey, London with her mum Ann Roberts, born c1777, and widowed in 1851 and Ann appeared to be the head of household in 1841 as she had no husband. Meaning that Elizabeth Roberts born 1810 in London must be the sister of Thomas Roberts born in Kent in 1813.

But Ann was born c1777 in Bermondsey, Surrey/London. So that must mean that she moved out to Kent c1805 wed Thomas Roberts in 1807 and because of Thomas's job as a servant, it appears as if they switched between their employers London and Kent country estates. Also St George Hanover square is a posh area of London.

Thomas Snr died in 1835 in Kemsing Kent and Ann must have returned to London as she was living with her sister in the 1841 and 1851 censuses.

Ben
Researching:

LONDON, Coombs, Roberts, Auber, Helsdon, Fradine, Morin, Goodacre
DORSET Coombs, Munday
NORFOLK Helsdon, Riches, Harbord, Budery
KENT Roberts, Goodacre
SUSSEX Walder, Boniface, Dinnage, Standen, Lee, Botten, Wickham, Jupp
SUFFOLK Titshall, Frost, Fairweather, Mayhew, Archer, Eade, Scarfe
DURHAM Stewart, Musgrave, Wilson, Forster
SCOTLAND Stewart in Selkirk
USA Musgrave, Saix
ESSEX Cornwell, Stock, Quilter, Lawrence, Whale, Clift