Author Topic: How to Find out who Bought a Property  (Read 849 times)

Offline Pughy

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
How to Find out who Bought a Property
« on: Saturday 08 December 07 10:58 GMT (UK) »
HI All
I was not sure were to put this, so I plumped for Common Room.
In the village were my family were living & still do there were three Thatch Cottages which they owned,They appeared to have definitely owned them in 1861 but possibly earlier, On the 1861Census there were family members living in all three cottages.On the 1841 & 1851 Censuses it is difficult to ascertain quite where they were living as it only gives the Village name but no specific address.
My question is how do I find out who originally bought the Cottages and when.
The Cottages in question were demolished abt 1950, at that time I do not know who owned them, but it was assumed that they were still owned by the family, evidently my Mother was asked some years after they were demolished by the owner of the adjacent property could he fence of the land which she agreed to.I have no interest in the land, it was only a small plot anyhow.
My interest is the History of the Cottages.
Tried the Land registry they could not help.
Any Suggestions Regards
Pughy

Offline behindthefrogs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • EDLIN
    • View Profile
Re: How to Find out who Bought a Property
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 08 December 07 11:06 GMT (UK) »
The old deeds or some other documentation may have been deposited in the local record office.  I suggest that you start by doing a search on:

www.a2a.org.uk

for the cottages by name if they have one or for your family name.

David
Living in Berkshire from Northampton & Milton Keynes
DETAILS OF MY NAMES ARE IN SURNAME INTERESTS, LINK AT FOOT OF PAGE
Wilson, Higgs, Buswell, PARCELL, Matthews, TAMKIN, Seckington, Pates, Coupland, Webb, Arthur, MAYNARD, Caves, Norman, Winch, Culverhouse, Drakeley.
Johnson, Routledge, SHIRT, SAICH, Mills, SAUNDERS, EDLIN, Perry, Vickers, Pakeman, Griffiths, Marston, Turner, Child, Sheen, Gray, Woolhouse, Stevens, Batchelor
Census Info is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Pughy

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 09 December 07 13:43 GMT (UK) »
HI David
Checked the AtoA out nothing there any other suggestions.
Thanks
Regards
Pughy

Offline mshrmh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 09 December 07 15:11 GMT (UK) »
Further to David's suggestion of the local record office, perhaps there is a local history group who may have ideas or a local studies library. Sometimes there are small local history books/pamphlets about very local areas that may be out of print but held by the library.

Offline old rowley

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • first steps
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 09 December 07 15:39 GMT (UK) »
if it is at all possible you maybe able to view the poor rate book's for the area and dates concerned. These will either be held at the local library (if it is a large one) or at the county records office. If you can not get to the library yourself the local history studies librarian may do this for you. The poor rate book's will not tell you when the cottages were first owned by your family members but by tracking back on the entries you should be able to see when a change of ownership may have occured at the properties.

old rowley
Claxton- East London & Essex<br />Cuthbert- Mile End East London <br />Edwards - East London & Essex<br />Goll- Norfolk<br />Harris-Mile End East London<br />Hurr - Suffolk<br />Law- Bethnal Green East London<br />Moll- East London<br />Robinson- Bethnal Green East London<br />Tait- Argyll & Glasgow<br />Thompson Shoreditch East london<br />Watson- Glasgow<br />Wood- Bethnal Green East London<br /><br />Local history interest; Noak Hill & Harold Hill Essex<br /><br />census information crown cop