Author Topic: WEIR MARRIAGES IN EDINBURGH  (Read 5801 times)

Offline maclennan25

• RootsChat Senior
  • ancestors always seem to be just out of reach.....
    • View Profile
Re: WEIR MARRIAGES IN EDINBURGH
« Reply #9 on: Monday 10 January 05 23:25 GMT (UK) »
Hi Kay,

still no luck with your Orr family i'm afraid. so, assuming they were in the mid to south of Scotland somewhere - i can't find them any further north - there are four households where i have found a Peter and an Agnes living in the same house. - they don't look very promising though, as none have children with names of Christina and Elizabeth, and some aren't even old enough to have children.

i am not too sure where to look next. i have checked the name index for the whole of the british isles against all four names with and without dates, and i can find no matches where the four names are listed in any one place together. - any ideas? - i even checked surname variations such as orre, corr, carr.

i have found a few details on the igi though which you may or may not have already which would appear to be this family. - hopefully this may help you a bit:

CHRISTINA RITCHIE ORR 
  Female   
 Birth:  19 JUL 1866   Edinburgh Parish, Edinburgh, Midlothian, Scotland 
  Father:  PETER ORR 
  Mother:  AGNES CHIEN RATTRAY 

ELIZABETH LAING ORR 
  Female   
 Birth:  02 MAR 1874   Edinburgh, Midlothian, Scotland
  Father:  PETER ORR 
  Mother:  AGNES CHIENE RATTRAY 

PETER ORR 
  Male
  Spouse:  AGNES CHIENE RATTRAY 
  Marriage:  23 FEB 1866   Dirleton, East Lothian, Scotland

AGNES CHIENE RATTRAY 
  Female     
 Christening:  02 JUL 1843   North Berwick, East Lothian, Scotland
  Father:  CHARLES RATTRAY 
  Mother:  CHRISTIAN RITCHIE 

PETER ORR 
  Male     
 Christening:  03 JAN 1847   Kirkliston, West Lothian, Scotland
  Father:  GEORGE ORR 
  Mother:  ELIZABETH LAING 

sorry i can't help more, but if you think of anything else, let me know and i will be happy to try and help.

kind regards, Lorna.

Offline KayP

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 12 January 05 05:12 GMT (UK) »
Hi Lorna

Thank you so much for doing the extra searching for me. :)  I am truly stumped though as to where Peter and his family ended up on the 1881 census.  :(   I am going to check 1881 England census to see if they were there.  Otherwise perhaps they were just missed off the census altogether???  I found them in 1891 at 85a Fountainbridge, Edinburgh.  That is Peter ORR, Agnes, Elizabeth and a son Charles born 1884.  There was also another son, George Archibald ORR born 1868 but I haven't found out anything about him.  Thanks for finding Louis COLLINS for me.  I don't know if the other COLLINS with an ORR staying with them are mine or not but I will keep a note of them.  I haven't found Louis and Christina on the 1891 census.  Elizabeth Laing ORR Married Joseph Cowan in 1893 and I found them still in Fountainbridge in 1901.  They were my husband's great-grandparents.  .  I found Agness ORR again on the 1901 census at 87 Fountainbridge and Charles was with her there.  She was listed as a widow.Thank you so much for taking the time to help me - I really appreciate it.

Kay
ALLEY (Wiltshire); HOLLAND (Lancashire); WEIR (Scotland), SUTHERLAND (Scotland); PROSSER (Brecon); PRYOR (Cornwall); ANTHONY (Cornwall); FRY (Somerset)

Offline Angus

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 28 July 05 01:11 BST (UK) »
Hi Kay:

My great-grandfather, George Weir, was the brother of James Harold Weir (married to Catherine Sutherland) who was born in 1836 to William Weir and Catherine Malcolm.

I don't have any of the information you requested re James's
children's marriages, but I do have some information on the earlier families.

Sarah
Corner, Anderson (Edinburgh), Weir, Manson, Malcolm, Levache (Wick), Smith, Mason, Brown (Leith), McDonald (Glasgow)

Offline KayP

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 22 August 05 00:10 BST (UK) »
Hi Sarah

I have been on vacation so please forgive the gap in responding.  I have very little information on George Weir other than he was born in 1841 and possibly died in 1918.  I would be delighted to have any information you have on him and other members of the family.  If you would be interested I could send you what little I have on them also.

Looking forward to hearing from you, Kay
ALLEY (Wiltshire); HOLLAND (Lancashire); WEIR (Scotland), SUTHERLAND (Scotland); PROSSER (Brecon); PRYOR (Cornwall); ANTHONY (Cornwall); FRY (Somerset)