Author Topic: A most unusual mine rescue involving outstanding bravery & an American president  (Read 1877 times)

Offline dennford

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
19 March 1907, Modesto Varischetti went to work as normal at the mine not far from Kalgoorlie. What Modesto and his workmates didn't know was that the area was about to be hit by a serious storm.  Some hours later whilst deep in the mine the storm dumped massive amounts of rain flooding three working mines in the area. trapping 160 men underground. All but modesto scrambled to safety;Modesto Varischetti was presumed drowned because of the volume of water that flooded the main shaft.

After everyone had given up their workmate up for dead, those on the surface heard tapping from below and realised he was still alive, probably trapped in an air pocket.

A high-capacity steam pump was rushed to the mine but despite all efforts the water level had been lowered only a few centimetres by nightfall.

The local mining inspector, Josiah Crabb, and one of the most respected mining engineers in the area at the time, the manager of the Sons of Gwalia mine at Kanowna- who was later to become President Hoover of the USA reported that clearing the shaft would take up to a week, and there was no hope of rescue. Newspapers around the world were calling Varischetti "the entombed man" and published daily bulletins of Varischetti's pitiful signalling. In the midst of this hopelessness a child suggested that a diver may be able to rescue him.

At that time by pure co-incedence Two pearl divers from Broome in the far north of the state were on leave in Fremantle some 600km away. In those days I believe that the divers carried thier own suits and helmet. These two brave souls who had never been in a mine in thier life volunteered to travel to Kal' and try to help.

The West Australian government ordered a special train, the "Rescue Special", which cut nearly two hours off the 12-hour run, setting a world record for the distance. At Kalgoorlie, horses then rushed the men and equipment to the mine.

Over the next three days the divers made many dives into the darkness. Now remember these guys had no experience of mining and no knowledge of the mines layout so after being led to the water level they were alone under the water to find thier way through the maze in complete darkness. All thiss wearing the cumbersome diving equipment of over 100 years ago.

After six days of being entombed Modesto was finally found by the divers. I believe that theymade one or two more dives that day, taking with them food,candles and a letter from modesto's brotherwho was waiting at the surface.

It was a further three days before the water was low enough for them to walk modesto out of that mine.

This is but a sketch of the story there are several places where more can be found on the www just google "Modesto Varischetti"

also a book, The Entombed Miner by Tom Austen.

Ford, Baines, Dixon, Platts, Peat, Proctor, Rotherforth, Dakin/Daykin, Sales, Beech, Hall, Parkin, Nightingale. ----- Harthill, Waleswood, Woodhouse-mill, Whitwell

South Yorkshire/Derbyshire/Nottinghamshire

Torremocha, Candog, Ramos, Reyes, Rodrigueus
-------Philippines --- Bohol

Offline Bellejazz

• I have turned off my notifications
  • RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: A most unusual mine rescue involving outstanding bravery & an American presi
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 09 December 07 01:21 GMT (UK) »
Over the next three days the divers made many dives into the darkness. Now remember these guys had no experience of mining and no knowledge of the mines layout so after being led to the water level they were alone under the water to find thier way through the maze in complete darkness. All thiss wearing the cumbersome diving equipment of over 100 years ago.

After six days of being entombed Modesto was finally found by the divers. I believe that theymade one or two more dives that day, taking with them food,candles and a letter from modesto's brotherwho was waiting at the surface.
It was a further three days before the water was low enough for them to walk modesto out of that mine.
This is but a sketch of the story there are several places where more can be found on the www just google "Modesto Varischetti"
also a book, The Entombed Miner by Tom Austen.

Yes they did this, I think they also took paper so Modesto could write letters.
It was the centenery of this event in March this year, Coolgardie had huge celebrations going on, we were invited but only my Husband attended (I had to stay here and hold the fort  ::) )

I did think the "Rescue Special" was still on display in Coolgardie, but I can't find any reference to that anywhere  :-\

We have "The Entombed Miner" book, I have not read it yet.

- Belinda.
Boake Carter: Dublin Ire. - Williamstown VIC Corbet(t): Northern Ire. - Creswick VIC Croak/Croke/Croker: Kilkenny Ire. - Creswick Hob(b)el: Salzgitter Germany - Talbot VIC Mulford: London UK - Williamstown VIC Mitchell: Kildare Ire. - Lilydale VIC Orenshaw: Uttoxeter UK - Creswick Rischmuller: Gottingen Germany - Ballarat VIC Smedley: Derbyshire UK - Kilmore VIC Wassmann: Salzgitter Ward: Tipperary Ire - Creswick VIC.