Author Topic: Island of Jura birth  (Read 5920 times)

Offline madgie

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Island of Jura birth
« on: Sunday 09 December 07 23:10 GMT (UK) »
My greatgrandfather Henry James claimed to have been born on Jura in 1836 on his marriage certificate, but later changed this to 1831. His father was WIlliam Clement James - an excise officer. The Customs and Excise department have no record of this, and suggest he may have been a temporary officer. I can find no trace of either of them before 1877 when Henry (or Harry) married - in Huntingdonshire, and have been searching for about 4 years to date. Can anyone help???
Madgie
Casanova, Giannoulakis (Chios); Georgiades, Nicolaides (Cyprus); Newsome, Allen, Booth, Parkinson, Williamson, Anderson, Darley (Yorkshire/Lincolnshire); James, Barwell, Moore, Platt, Barrett (Northants/Hunts); Newman, Lovell, Cole, Cousins (Hunts/Northants).

Offline daval57

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Christmas 2011. My daughter Clare with me.
    • View Profile
Re: Island of Jura birth
« Reply #1 on: Monday 10 December 07 01:05 GMT (UK) »
From 1800 to 1840 there was only 1 person born in Argyll with the surname James (Elizabeth b1806).
No other James' in Argyll, let alone on Jura.
In fact, in the whole of Argyll, there are only 2 OPR birth entries on SP for the name James from 1553 to 1854.
Sorry.
Dave   
-------------------
FORREST (Glasgow, Lanarkshire, Stirlingshire and Dunbartonshire)
ROONEY (Co Down, Co Antrim) 
BORTHWICK, FORTUNE, BARKER, SIVES (Lothians)
ANDERSON (Moray, Caithness)

Offline daval57

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Christmas 2011. My daughter Clare with me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 10 December 07 01:18 GMT (UK) »
There was a Henry James born 1833 to William James and a Catharine Donaldson in Dundee. 
That's the East coast of mainland Scotland and nowhere near Jura (sorry if that's stating the obvious but I don't know what your knowledge of Scotland is).
However, it is the only H James born to William I can find in Scotland.
Dave
-------------------
FORREST (Glasgow, Lanarkshire, Stirlingshire and Dunbartonshire)
ROONEY (Co Down, Co Antrim) 
BORTHWICK, FORTUNE, BARKER, SIVES (Lothians)
ANDERSON (Moray, Caithness)

Offline PrueM

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Please don't try to PM me :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 10 December 07 01:36 GMT (UK) »
There was a Henry James born 1833 to William James and a Catharine Donaldson in Dundee.
That's the East coast of mainland Scotland and nowhere near Jura (sorry if that's stating the obvious but I don't know what your knowledge of Scotland is).
However, it is the only H James born to William I can find in Scotland.
Dave

Assuming I've found the same family on the 1841 census, the William James in Dundee was a Merchant.  All members of the family shown born in Dundee.

Offline PrueM

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 10 December 07 01:41 GMT (UK) »
Have you got Henry on any later censuses, i.e. after his marriage?  And what was his wife's name?

Offline madgie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 10 December 07 09:24 GMT (UK) »
Yes - have found the Dundee Jameses. Suspect that though Henry MIGHT be telling the truth and have been born there, he was not registered there.
I have him, and wife, in 1877 (marriage); in the censuses 81, 91, and 1901, and his death - all in Kimbolton, Hunts. In all, he states either Scotland, or island of Jura as birthplace. Of course, could be fibbing!??
The only William C. James found after years of trawling for him in censuses is in Lambeth (!) London. Interestingly there is a Supervisor of Excise living a couple of doors away. This William was an artist, married to a Portuguese/Spanish lady from Evora: Ludovina Gabriella Collins. However, have been told the C. is probably not Clement. On the other hand, my mother frequently told me she had a Spanish grandmother. And her other 'tales' have turned out true!
Casanova, Giannoulakis (Chios); Georgiades, Nicolaides (Cyprus); Newsome, Allen, Booth, Parkinson, Williamson, Anderson, Darley (Yorkshire/Lincolnshire); James, Barwell, Moore, Platt, Barrett (Northants/Hunts); Newman, Lovell, Cole, Cousins (Hunts/Northants).

Offline madgie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 10 December 07 09:26 GMT (UK) »
PrueM: Your photo of grandad Harry looks very familiar - a family similarity, though could be coincidence. Was he a James???
His wife's name was Rebecca Hill - she was a widow with 3 children, previously married to Stephen Hill. Her maiden name was Newman born 9 June 1841 Little Addington, Northamptonshire.
Henry died 11 March 1905 in Kimbolton, Hunts. Age on death cert 74.

Offline PrueM

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 10 December 07 09:47 GMT (UK) »
Hi Madgie  :)

My grandad Harry was a McKay - no Jameses in my family, I'm afraid  ;)

Now, I've found Henry and Rebecca JAMES in 1881 living in the High Street, Buckden, Hunts - he is down as a Painter.  Is that correct?

Prue

Offline madgie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 10 December 07 09:51 GMT (UK) »
PrueM:
Yes - correct - then they moved to Kimbolton where they stayed till Henry's death in 1905. Pity about your grandad!!!
He is not just my brickwall - he is a concrete barricade! driving me mad - for years!