Author Topic: Slater & Berry families - Buckingham  (Read 1232 times)

Offline chilibear

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Slater & Berry families - Buckingham
« on: Monday 10 December 07 19:00 GMT (UK) »
Hi!  Could someone please help me!  I am trying to find any details about my great grandparents who married in Buckingham.  I have very little to go on since my great grand father moved around a lot and had several wives at the same time!

He is David Slater, born ca 1857, Clay Cross or Pilsley, Derbyshire.  She is Mary Ann Berry, born ca 1865, Ratley, Warwickshire.  They married in Buckingham and their first child, Harold was born there in 1885.  Their next child was born in Whittington, Derbyshire ca 1890.  I have looked on Ancestry and cannot find their marriage.  It must have been between 1881 and 1890.  David Slater is on the 1881 Census in Derbyshire, married to a Mary Ann, but she is not my great grandmother.  Apparently he had a wife in Banbury as well; I do not know who she was, but she was living there many years later and died there before 1906.

It's a bit of a long shot, but if anyone can tell me anything I should be extremely grateful!

Chilibear
Merrall, Ayres, Waterfield, Cotton - Leicester
Slater - Leicester, Derbyshire, Buckinghamshire
Blakey, Moult - Derbyshire

Online PaulineJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Slater & Berry families - Buckingham
« Reply #1 on: Monday 10 December 07 19:27 GMT (UK) »
His birth?
Births Dec 1856   
Slater    David         Chesterfield    7b   458

How can you state that they 'married in buckingham' yet later say you have no record of the marriage?
What certs do you actually hold?
Will you provide the census households with refs so that we can see what info you have used to make your deductions?

Pauline
All census look up transcriptions are Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/
======================================
We are not a search engine. We are human beings.

Offline chilibear

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 10 December 07 20:41 GMT (UK) »
Hi Pauline,

I have my grandmother's birth certificate.  She was Eva Slater, born on 26th November 1898 in Sheffield to Mary Ann Slater, formerly Berry and David Slater (engine tenter).

I have already ordered the one that you have suggested for David Slater's birth since it seems to be the most likely and I have ordered the birth certificates for the two eldest children (I have the BMI references for all their children).  I cannot find a BMI reference for their marriage; my aunt told that my great grandparents married in Buckingham and about the wife in Banbury, however, she is not certain about exact dates and places.

The census information that I found is:
1901: Class: RG13; Piece: 2989; Foli: 31; Page: 6 (Mary Ann Slater and children, but not David)
1891: Class: RG12; Piece: 2766; Folio: 35; Page: 64 (David and Mary Ann Slater and two children)
1881: Class: RG11; Piece: 3442; Folio: 133; Page: 17 (David and Mary Ann Slater, but she was born in Derbyshire, therefore I think that she is not my great grandmother).
1871: Class RG10; Piece: 2501; Folio: 41; Page: 38 (David Slater only)
1861: Class RG9; Piece: 2526; Folio: 32; Page: 17 (David Slater with his parents).

However I can only be certain that the 1901 and 1891 are my family, since the dob and places of birth for the other David Slater’s vary.

Also see my other posting:
Berry family, Ratley (sorry I do not know how to link them together).

I hope that makes things clearer.

Chilibear.

Online PaulineJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 10 December 07 20:55 GMT (UK) »

1891 is a Daniel Slater, and the 1-y-old Eunice turns into a 11-y-old myra in 1901?

Pauline
All census look up transcriptions are Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/
======================================
We are not a search engine. We are human beings.

Offline chilibear

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 11 December 07 09:57 GMT (UK) »
Pauline,

I actually had read the name as David on the 1891 census.  I agree that it could be Daniel and I had spotted the problem with the names of the children.  However, my great grandparents did have girls named Eunice and Myra; I guessed that my great grandmother muddled them up on the 1901 census.

Chilibear

Offline kathrynturner815

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 24 January 24 11:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi both! A long time since your chat some 17 years ago which I've just latched on to. My grandmother was Myra Slater 1893-1968, sister of Eva. Eunice was another sister who seems to have left the family early and disappeared from their radar. My daughter is now researching the family further, so all very interesting! Love Katy Turner nee Weaver x

Offline Frameworkknitter

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 31 January 24 11:37 GMT (UK) »
After a break of many years,  I am researching family history again. David Slater certainly made it difficult for his descendants to do so! Slowly, slowly, I am making progress.

Offline Frameworkknitter

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 31 January 24 11:38 GMT (UK) »
It seems that I have changed my username from Chilibear to Frameworkknitter!

Offline kathrynturner815

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 01 February 24 17:00 GMT (UK) »
That's good to hear. I'll get back with anything I hear and hope you have more success x