Author Topic: BALLARD / GODDARD Winterslow  (Read 4185 times)

Offline booksatskipton

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Ballard / Goddard Winterslow
« Reply #9 on: Monday 19 February 07 19:09 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I haven't got any more to add to the debate. I am amazed how much you have managed to find out about the Shears / Ballards / Pressleys / Forders / Battens etc .

best wishes
Jane

PS you mentioned in another posting that some of the Pressleys had gone to NZ - who were they?

Offline colinsorigins

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 24 February 07 00:40 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jane

The Pressleys who emigrated were James' brothers Henry and Samuel.   They initially sailed to New Zealand but then sailed from Wellington to Melbourne and ended-up at the gold fields in Ballarat.

I have been extremely lucky in tracking these two down.   When I was trying to find relatives from my father's line, I was put in contact with a distant relative, Pam Shears.   The name is a coincidence because her line comes from Devon, but I asked the obvious questions about our shared name and the Pressleys who I knew had gone to Ballarat.   It transpired that Pam worked in the Public Record Office of Victoria and was able to provide a detailed history of the Pressleys up to the present day.   I have also been in contact with Pressley relatives in Wiltshire who have visited and been visited by the Australian Pressleys.

It seems that the brothers sailed to NZ together.   Samuel was unmarried, and Henry had married Susan Moore in Salisbury in 1843 and took at least three children with him, Consinah, Elizabeth and Jane.   It is probable they travelled to Ballarat together.

Henry had a total of 10 children, one of whom was born in NZ.   He stayed in Ballarat and died 20 Feb 1879 in an accident on Eureka Street, Ballarat.

Samuel married Charlotte Trewin 02 Nov 1854 'in Mr. Williams tent' Ballarat.   They had 11 children.   They had left Ballarat by 1859 and obviously moved around but Samuel ended up as a farmer.   He died in 1884.

Fascinating stuff

Best wishes

Colin
Winterslow: Shears, Sheath, Stainer, Ballard
Wilton: Pressley, Beckett
Downton: Davis
Oxford: Honey
Usk/Caerwent: Thomas
Radnage/Dixton: Howells

Offline booksatskipton

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 24 February 07 15:44 GMT (UK) »
Dear Colin

You are right it is fascinating hearing what happened to the familes - I find we have relatives across the world.  The people who left for the other side of the world were certainly very adventurous - no internet to help them in those days! 
I was also in contact with some Mussels from Canada who originally came from Downton (related to Sarah david I think) - they had been part of the large number of people who left Downton when there was much unemployment, I think  the Parish chartered a boat to take them.

best wishes
Jane

Offline colinsorigins

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 25 February 07 16:44 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jane,

If you type Downton Canada into Google you will get the story of the exodus plus a list of the people who went.   The only Mussel I noticed at a quick glance was William aged 16.

You are correct about Sarah Davis, her grandmother was Grace Mussel.   The Mussell name appears throughout the Downton PR.   The earliest entry I am confident of is the burial of Margaret daughter of John in 1611.   There is quite a lot in the IGI and, although mostly submitted by church members, some of it is undoubtedly accurate.

Best wishes

Colin

Offline iasha

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
sophia jane goddard - winterslow
« Reply #13 on: Monday 10 December 07 19:47 GMT (UK) »
what a great website :D

I have recently started to research my family tree, and when just tapping a name I believe to be an ancester it brought me to a topic on this site and I am hoping the person writing that will read this.

I believe that a Sophia Jane Goddard married a Charles Noyce and lived in a house called Dunsville in Winterslow near Salisbury. I think she was born in 1816 (thats all I know about her). They had a son called Charles who married a Sarah Jane Yeates in 6/4/1871.
Any details regarding these people would be good. Hope this post is in the right place (new to forum). Sophia Jane Goddard is my 3x great grandmother.

thanks

Offline krisesjoint

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Its my Party - I can eat cake
    • View Profile
Re: BALLARD / GODDARD Winterslow
« Reply #14 on: Monday 10 December 07 21:01 GMT (UK) »
Hi iasha,

A big welcome to RootsChat  :D

Lovely you have found a connection with some of the members. I have merged your topic with the topic which brought you to us in the hope of attracting booksatskipton and colinsorigins's attention.  ;)

Kind Regards............Kris  :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline colinsorigins

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 11 December 07 03:04 GMT (UK) »
Hi iasha

We seem to be related, as Sophia Jane's sister Fanny is my 3xgreat grandmother.   There is a lot of correspondence on the this site on Ballard/Goddard.   The most comprehensive is under the topic 'Hindon Baptisms and Burials for PERRETT' started by shaunadavid.

The reason that the Ballard and Goddard names appear is because most members of the family appear at different times with either name.   The best illustrations of this are Mary the mother who had both names on her burial entry in the parish register, and Fanny who is referred to as both Fanny Ballard and Fanny Goddard on her marriage certificate.

I have not tracked down our 4xgreat grandparents John and Mary Ballard.   They seem to have originated from Hampshire and had the children Richard and Elizabeth born West Meon, Ann born Titchfield and Louisa born Kilmeston
before arriving in Winterslow.   All of these were baptized as Goddard with parents John and Mary Goddard. {I originally was convinced that the family came from Ringwood but, with prompting from Valda, I have changed my view on this}

The family changed its name to Ballard when it arrived in Winterslow.   So Sophia Jane who was baptized 15 June 1817 was baptized Ballard with parents John and Mary Ballard, and Fanny was baptized Ballard 18 Mar 1821.   However, Sophia Jane was married as Goddard with father John Goddard on 1st June 1844 at Winterslow, whereas Fanny was married as Fanny Ballard akas Fanny Goddard with father John Ballard.

Burials were John Ballard 22 Aug 1843 aged 73, Mary Goddard alias Ballard 12 Feb 1866 aged 90 and Sophia Jane 9 Dec 1887 aged 71.   All lived in Gunville.   This is at the eastern end of the village and runs from The Common up to the Shripple.   The men were mainly labourers and many were described as coppice labourers.   This suggests that John Ballard and his son Richard, who changed his name from Goddard to Ballard, worked in the woods.

I hope you find this useful.   [Suggestions from anybody as to why the family name changed between Goddard and Ballard will be most welcome.]

Take care

Colin

Offline colinsorigins

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 20 December 07 06:28 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Having concluded that John and Mary were originally Goddard and were from Hants, and that they changed their name to Ballard when they arrived in Winterslow, I have been looking for their marriage in Hants.

Now this may be a coincidence.   There is a marriage between John Goddard and Mary Mitchell at Kingsclere 20 April 1797.   At first sight this is not very promising because Kingsclere is some way from Winterslow.   However, in 1787 there is a marriage between William Goddard of Kingsclere and Ann Penn at Laverstock, and Laverstock is close to Winterslow and it is where John and Mary's daughter Ann settled after she married Thomas Perrett.

The drawback is that, although there is a baptism for Mary Mitchell in Kingslere, Mary Goddard always gave her place of birth as Ropley.   Nonetheless, this seems a worthwhile lead to follow up.

Regards

Colin