Author Topic: Philip WOODHAM of Milton Ernest  (Read 12660 times)

Offline cathymcc

• I am sorry but my emails are not working.
  • RootsChat Veteran
  • Sam & Hilda Worker
    • View Profile
Re: Philip WOODHAM of Milton Ernest
« Reply #27 on: Saturday 22 December 07 11:59 GMT (UK) »
Linda

Poor Philip died [on the 20th Nov 1844 in hospital] from burns after he had had a fit on the 15th of Nov.  It is recorded in the Turner Archives.

I expect you have this information - but if not please consult the Bedfordshire Archives online search site?

cath
Bedfordshire: Worker [Flitton]; Ames [Kempston]; Manton [Kempston]; Morris [?]; Valentine [Kempston]; Two & Osborn [Cranfield]

Herfordshire and West London: Brown [Kent in early 19th C]; Blackwell.
McCarthy [Clonakilty, County Cork - searching for needles in the haystack!] and LOSTY [Dublin]

Offline johnP-bedford

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Saturday 22 December 07 17:51 GMT (UK) »
Hello, thanks for that Cathy,  I'm sure Linda #1 will be in touch.

There is also info on the BLARS site of other Woodham family members of Milton Ernest including Coates.

Also in David Newman's book 'The Importance of Milton Ernest' there is an extract from letters of John Turner of M/E to his brother in America in 1834 where he describing the households of the village ".... we will find Philip Woodham and his wife with their son Cotes & his little brats in their old home ..." .

Which ties in with what is recorded on the 1841 census, Philip & his wife Eliza, plus Coates & his wife Mary, plus their children (I mean brats)  Ann, George, Andrew & Isaac.

cheers John  
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Partridge - North Beds; Northants & Peterborough
Bishop - Bedford; Hunts, Hemingford Grey
Allen - Hunts, Hemingford Abbotts
Clement - Croydon
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline cathymcc

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Sam & Hilda Worker
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Saturday 22 December 07 18:17 GMT (UK) »
Gosh, John...

I did think there was more on WOODHAMs [but no gaol records in the 19th C  :( ]  So they were ''good boys & girls"  ;D

I had thought the name had came up in the past - but no Milton Ernest family called WOODHAMs in rootsweb [family trees].

It sounds awful so I hope 'Phil' was well sedated before he died and didn't suffer too much?  Strange how you hear of  people on the list and then they become almost your own family and you feel for them as if it happened yesterday?

Or is that just me?

cath
Bedfordshire: Worker [Flitton]; Ames [Kempston]; Manton [Kempston]; Morris [?]; Valentine [Kempston]; Two & Osborn [Cranfield]

McCarthy [Clonakilty, County Cork - searching for needles in the haystack!] and LOSTY [Dublin]

Offline cathymcc

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Sam & Hilda Worker
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Saturday 22 December 07 18:42 GMT (UK) »
John

As a post script: I will look out for that book as I used to do the travelling library out there in the 1970s & there were lots of nice people in Milton Ernest bringing me tea & cakes - we needed a 'loo break' and everyone was so kind. 

They treated us so well and I knew them well so used to look out books for 'our regulars' and put them aside - they used to put their initials on the fly leaf of the book - so I knew whether they had read them or not!

They used to give me road-kill - or chickens at Christmas [not plucked and still warm]!  I used to take letters and packages from village to village and all sorts - it was a great [if badly paid] job!

Best job I had really

cath

Offline cathymcc

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Sam & Hilda Worker
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Saturday 22 December 07 18:53 GMT (UK) »
John

Note:   In Bedforshire ''road-kill'' is an euphemism for ''poached'' and means the game is perhaps not too legal?!

cath

Offline johnP-bedford

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Saturday 22 December 07 19:16 GMT (UK) »
Cathy,  I thought it was a dead pheasant that was knocked down by traffic.  However thinking back in the early 1960's my dad would go and "road kill" a few pheasants with a 12 bore shotgun in Bromham Park. Little John would go with him & be sent home with a brace tied together hanging underneath his gaberdine rain coat. That seems so long ago.   

The book is in Bedford central library, as I read & noted that extract there a few weekends ago. It is also in the Beds Family History library of which yours truly is the librarian.
Clement - Croydon

Offline cathymcc

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Sam & Hilda Worker
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Saturday 22 December 07 19:57 GMT (UK) »
lol -

I think a brace would count as ''road kill" and I have eaten them  and it "strong "meat  - not your chicken etc.

cath

Offline tickle

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Monday 08 September 08 14:33 BST (UK) »
Hi guys

Just picked up on this thread and may be able to give you something other than road kill pheasant to chew on!

I am descended from a Woodham family from Southill, and Riseley back to a Thomas Woodham at Knotting in the early 1600s. Some of his kids went to Ely, and had more kids (naturally,) amongst them one or two named Philip. You're now into the 1700s. Some of the family stayed in Beds , moved to Cambs, thence to Essex. The Sharnbrook lot may also be related.

So, just to add to your quest, the broad brush approach in Beds particularly, may be one way to handle this family. Except for Sharnbrook which seem to have stayed relatively 'put', Woodhams moved around, so leave no stone unturned.

A lot of them are also dissenters which means that baptisms are not generally available before the late 18th century. They also went vast distances to worship, my lot from Gamlingay went all the way to Rothwell in Northants on a regular basis before they founded their local chapel in the late 17th century.

Hope this helps

Take care

Tickle
Alder - Berks
Benning/Bening - Middx, & Cambs
Brook - Suffolk/Cambs
Burton - Herts
Petley - Suffolk
Death - Suffolk
Ellington - Suffolk/Cambs
Elsworth - New York
Fayers/Faiers/Faires - Suffolk
Grasemann - Germany & London
Howels - Hants
Mitchell - Sussex, Surrey
Oldham - Lancs
Priest - Hants
Raines - Co Cork, Ireland
Rysdyck/Rysdyke - Netherlands, & New York
Ryder - Cheshire/Lancs
Sanders - Hants
Urmson - Cheshire
Willis - Suffolk
Woodham - Cambs, Beds, Essex

Offline johnP-bedford

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Wednesday 03 June 09 23:08 BST (UK) »
Are you sure you have the right Elizabeth Brown? There's another on 30 Mar 1777 which fits better all round
An Elizabeth Woodham was buried at ME on 12 Nov 1843 age 67   --> born 1776

Well. so I'm bored & I thought I'd look into this - & because another Genes ReU contact asked the same question...

I now think the Elizabeth Brown who married Philip Woodham in 1796 was the daughter of Coates Brown & Mary Edgley, baptised 30 Mar 1777; & these pair married in Milton Ernest on 16/04/1765.

why ?  as the Elizabeth Brown, daughter of James Brown & Elizabeth Pain, baptised 10/09/1769 was buried 06/05/1786 at M/E aged 17 years cause of death was 'Fever'; according to the M/E parish records..

Sorry Linda (Limney) - that's blown your family tree !

Also Philip & Elizabeth Woodham had son Coates born 1807 - thus keeping going a family name, perhaps.   

regards John

Clement - Croydon