Author Topic: A curious cause of death  (Read 3969 times)

Offline millymollymandy

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
A curious cause of death
« on: Monday 10 December 07 22:41 GMT (UK) »
I have a copy of my grandmother's husband's father's Death Certificate. Henry James Vincent died on 6th December 1872, aged 27, in Curry Mallet (North Curry), Somerset. The cause of death was 'fracture of skull by falling from a donkey - accident'. It also states that an inquest into his death was held on 11th December 1872.

I am obviously very curious as this seems an unusual cause of death. On the 1871 Census for Curry Mallet, Somerset, his occupation is 'quarry man'. Could the accident have happened whilst he was working? Would his death have been mentioned in any local newspaper at that time, e.g. Taunton? Can anyone please help or point me in the right direction?

:o :-\ ::)

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: A curious cause of death
« Reply #1 on: Monday 10 December 07 22:45 GMT (UK) »
Could it have been a Donkey Engine?
Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline cheshiremog

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • JACHs Jacksdale Area Culture & Heritage Group
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 07 January 08 21:42 GMT (UK) »
Hi M-M-M
Yes accidents were often featured in local newspapers so it would be worth contacting the library for that area to establish what the local paper was at that time and if the library has the newspapers in their archive (usually on fiche). You have a rough date so that is very helpful.  In our village inquests were often held in the local pub and were quite descriptive with eye witness accounts - usually the employers were found to be blameless - not much health and safety or employees rights in those days.
This site lists all the libraries around the country so you can check out which library
http://www.familia.org.uk/libraries.html

You may also be interested to know there is a site dedicated to quarrymen
http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~stonemen/
At least you could get your ancestor's name entered on the roll
I am descended from stonemasons from Cornwall
UK Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
General Information relating to villages of JACKSDALE, PYE HILL & WESTWOOD Notts
Cheshire - TAYLOR, HEAPY, KNOWLES, HAMPSON, CLAYTON, STONIER, PRITCHARD, NADIN, GALLIMORE
Staffs - HEAPY
Devon - CLIFT, VITTERY, TRIST, MOLLOY, COBLEY, LEAR, GUILFOYLE, BICKFORD, EPPS, BEAZLEY, DARKE, LANG, QUANT, BLANKENSHIP
Devon & Cornwall - CLIFT, LARK
Somerset -Frome -HEAPY
Derbys/Notts- COCKAYNE, PHEASEY, KNOWLES

Offline cheshiremog

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • JACHs Jacksdale Area Culture & Heritage Group
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 07 January 08 21:56 GMT (UK) »
Donkey Engineer
Small engine powered by steam or compressed air used to drive pumps or drain sumps (pits in which excess water is collected) ... or to operate a hoist for a shallow shaft

Source - Dictionary of Mining, Mineral & Related Terms
http://books.google.com/books?id=OV9KBUoknFIC&pg=PA164&dq=donkey+engineer&ei=-Z-CR-yXC4eSswPMi6m3DA&sig=zqLY9oTwed5Gp-DCWqQBzm-bv8c
UK Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
General Information relating to villages of JACKSDALE, PYE HILL & WESTWOOD Notts
Cheshire - TAYLOR, HEAPY, KNOWLES, HAMPSON, CLAYTON, STONIER, PRITCHARD, NADIN, GALLIMORE
Staffs - HEAPY
Devon - CLIFT, VITTERY, TRIST, MOLLOY, COBLEY, LEAR, GUILFOYLE, BICKFORD, EPPS, BEAZLEY, DARKE, LANG, QUANT, BLANKENSHIP
Devon & Cornwall - CLIFT, LARK
Somerset -Frome -HEAPY
Derbys/Notts- COCKAYNE, PHEASEY, KNOWLES

Offline millymollymandy

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 17 April 10 23:28 BST (UK) »
Hello,

I have been looking back and reading my thread 'A curious cause of death'.

I apologise, Cheshiremog and Stan, for not thanking you for your helpful comments, very rude of me!

I had no luck with this matter. Somerset Studies Library confirmed that the Langport Herald for this date was missing  and that the Somerset County Gazette, Somerset County Herald and Taunton Courier report other inquests, but not this particular one. Also, Chard and Ilminster News had not commenced publication at this time.

This was very disappointing. I hoped that I might get to the bottom of this curious death. I wonder whether anyone could suggest where else might hold a copy of the Langport Herald for that time.

Many thanks,

Millymollymandy