Author Topic: Surname: TOURGIE and Huguenot Link  (Read 1308 times)

Offline Jamie H

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Surname: TOURGIE and Huguenot Link
« on: Monday 10 December 07 23:37 GMT (UK) »
Can anyone help with information about the name TOURGIE, or TOURGY and a possible link with Huguenots? I would like to know if the TOURGIE's migrated to England from the Channel Islands and became the TUDGEYS, OR TUDGAYS. And, were they Huguenots escaping from France in the 1680s? I have seen on the web that a Pierre Tourgie went to the USA and they thought he came from the Channel Islands.

Thank you for any help you can give,

Jamie  :)
TUDGEY; STEVENS (Surrey); SMITH (Surrey, Essex, Norfolk); WILKS (Worcs); YOUNG (Worcs); COWLEY (Ireland, Surrey); GROVE (Hampshire); REEVES (Gloucs. Worcs.); RETFORD (Hampshire, Surrey); FAIRBROTHER (Kent); WEBB (Surrey, Bucks); WILLIAMS (Pembrokeshire). Nicol (Scotland);DOLLOWAY (Kent); BOX (Worcs).

Offline Mike E

• Email notifications have been turned off
  • RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Surname: TOURGIE and Huguenot Link
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 17 April 08 10:01 BST (UK) »
Hi Jamie -

In the 1841 Channel Islands census there are several families named Tourgis.  Are there particular first names / family members you are looking for around this time?

Mike
Entwistle (Bolton and Edgworth)
Cook(e) (Manchester and Warwicks)
Whitaker (Lancs and Cumberland)
McMillen and Palmer (Co Down)
Hyde and Oakley (Staffs)
Lovet, Edwards and Clark (Salop)
Ratcliffe, Walker and Ruffley (Lancs)
Sainsbury (Gloucs, Cornwall and Yorks)
Laundry (Cornwall)
Waterhouse and Haigh (Yorks)
Bird, Rendel / Rendle, Bull, Stoodley, Shoemake / Shoemark, Groves, Baker, Hallett, Burford, Gaylard, Mounter, Highmore (Somerset)
Barber, Brown (Cheshire)
Waterfield (Derby)

Offline Jamie H

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: Surname: TOURGIE and Huguenot Link
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 17 April 08 11:50 BST (UK) »
Thanks Mike. No, I don't think that would fit. I do have a William TUDGEY in Wiltshire in 1752, and later ones were all in England, so any Huguenot link would have had to be further back than 1841.

Thank you for replying :-)

Jamie
TUDGEY; STEVENS (Surrey); SMITH (Surrey, Essex, Norfolk); WILKS (Worcs); YOUNG (Worcs); COWLEY (Ireland, Surrey); GROVE (Hampshire); REEVES (Gloucs. Worcs.); RETFORD (Hampshire, Surrey); FAIRBROTHER (Kent); WEBB (Surrey, Bucks); WILLIAMS (Pembrokeshire). Nicol (Scotland);DOLLOWAY (Kent); BOX (Worcs).