Author Topic: Was everyone on the census???  (Read 2548 times)

Offline Finder

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Was everyone on the census???
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 12 December 07 21:58 GMT (UK) »
I'll try for a bit longer but will ask for help, each day I'm finding tiny bits of info, it's like one of them giant jigsaw puzzles, at first it doesn't make much sense, though gradually as more bits are added it's gets clearer

I know everyone here wants to help & that's what is so good about Rootschat, being a ancestry detective is so interesting, glad I started to do this research

James

Offline Mean_genie

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 12 December 07 22:17 GMT (UK) »
A few people deliberately avoided enumeration in every census year, but it is much more likely that 'missing' people are actually there, but are hard to find or identify for some reason.

Individuals who are not with their families are a case in point. If the head of household filling in the schedule is a landlord or employer, they are much less likely to know (or even care about) accurate age and birthplace details for everyone under their roof. And of course if you do find your single apprentice, servant, soldier etc, it's much harder to be sure that you have the right one, because they are not with their father William or sister Philadelphia, or whatever you would normally use as a checking point.

Plenty of people today completely fail to follow simple instructions and fill in forms correctly, so why should we expect our Victorian ancestors to be any different? There were misunderstandings over the arrangements for shift workers, and people who were short-term visitors could be missed out because the head assumed that they would be included at their usual address, and so on.

Then the enumerator had to copy up all the schedules, as best he could. Since it is only the enumeration books that we see, we have no way of knowing what the enumerator was copying from, so even though we are pleased to find one whose handwriting is very clear, it won't help at all if he had to decipher something horrible. And that's before Ancestry et al start indexing, but that's another story...

1911 is very interesting, because for the first time we get the information directly from the schedules and cut out the middle man (or woman). The standard of legibility is generally pretty good. On the debit side, 1911 was the first census to be the subject of an organized boycott (by the suffragettes), but you can't win 'em all, I suppose.

Mean_genie

Offline Finder

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 13 December 07 02:26 GMT (UK) »
thanks Genie, I'm mainly interested in the period between 1880 - 1900

if it helps to speed things up the guys name is Thomas Kennard, I'll ask this in the common room because, don't know where he was born or when, who his parents were, where he lived after 1881

he married Rosina Golding in 1876, there was 2 children in 1881, Emily aged 2 & Thomas aged 4, there was a third child Florence Rosina Kennard born 1889

I'm trying to find out where Rosina lived between 1881 - 1900 & where Thomas Kennard senior disappeared to

Rosina Golding was born in 1860

Only known occupation of Thomas Kennard was a fireman with West India Co. in 1881

I'm guessing Rosina lived with relatives or friends in the Hampshire county, most likely South Stoneham or Shirley

Thomas Kennard has Irish origins, not sure if he was born in UK or Ireland, did find a reference to a Thomas Kennard being born at Abergavenny in Wales 1857, the profile seems to fit but not sure

also found a reference to a Thomas Kennard on the ship " British Crown ", October 1880, aged 23 & US census of a Thomas Kennard aged 42 at Nebraska, Fillmore in 1900

hope some of this info helps

Online osprey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 13 December 07 12:38 GMT (UK) »
What details for his father are given on the marriage certificate? This would help track him down. Or the names of the witnesses?

In 1871, there's a Thomas Kennard aged 17 b. Exeter, Devon aboard the HMS Eclipse whose station is North America and West Indies RG10/5780 folio 140 pg 8. 

South Stoneham is only a few miles from Southampton. The archives in Southampton have crew lists for ships registered there and others that used the port.
http://www.genuki.org.uk:8080/big/eng/HAM/Southampton/#MerchantMarine
Cornwall: Allen, Bevan, Bosisto, Carnpezzack, Donithorn, Huddy, James, Retallack, Russell, Vincent, Yeoman
Cards: Thomas (Llanbadarn Fawr)
Glam: Bowler, Cram, Galloway, James, Thomas, Watkins
Lincs: Coupland, Cram
Mon: Cram, Gwyn, John, Philpot, Smart, Watkins
Pembs: Edwards (St. Dogmael's)
Yorks: Airey, Bowler, Elliott, Hare, Hewitt, Kellett, Kemp, Stephenson, Tebb

Offline Finder

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 13 December 07 13:12 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Osprey, a few more clues to chase, the HMS Eclipse is interesting, though I'm thinking his age could possibly make him a mis-match, but always expect the unexpected....!, haven't obtained a copy of the marriage cetificate yet, might be a good idea for a starting point

Offline Valda

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 14 December 07 08:58 GMT (UK) »
1891 census RG12 926 folio 100
6 Crown Street South Stoneham
Rosina Kennard Wife Married 29 Living on own means Highfield Hampshire
Thomas Kennard Son 14 Highfield Hampshire
Emily Kennard Daughter 13 Highfield Hampshire
Ethel Kennard Daughter 9 Highfield Hampshire
Louisa Kennard Daughter 3  Highfield Hampshire
Florence Kennard Daughter 18 months Highfield Hampshire

Births Jun 1881   
KENNARD  Ethel    S. Stoneham  2c 63

Births Mar 1888   
Kennard  Louisa     S. Stoneham  2c 70

Did Thomas junior join the navy?

Name  Kennard, Thomas
Official Number:  278386
Place of Birth:  Southampton, Hampshire
27 February 1875 ADM 188/443

If Thomas senior was at sea you wouldn't necessarily expect to find him on censuses. If he died at sea or abroad you would not expect to find his death registration in the GRO indexes.

Have you found the family on the 1901 census?

A possible second marriage

Marriages Jun 1904   
Kennard  Rosina    Southampton  2c 81

Regards

Valda
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online osprey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 14 December 07 10:55 GMT (UK) »
this could be a total red herring, but there is a Thomas Kennard in the GRO marine death indexes for 1892. He was 38 and on board the Caerleon - page 91.

:-\

But the marriage certificate is a must.

;)

Cornwall: Allen, Bevan, Bosisto, Carnpezzack, Donithorn, Huddy, James, Retallack, Russell, Vincent, Yeoman
Cards: Thomas (Llanbadarn Fawr)
Glam: Bowler, Cram, Galloway, James, Thomas, Watkins
Lincs: Coupland, Cram
Mon: Cram, Gwyn, John, Philpot, Smart, Watkins
Pembs: Edwards (St. Dogmael's)
Yorks: Airey, Bowler, Elliott, Hare, Hewitt, Kellett, Kemp, Stephenson, Tebb

Offline Finder

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 14 December 07 11:43 GMT (UK) »
thanks everyone, my head is in a spin, all the information is a surprise, I run a small business & very busy getting in pre - xmas orders, looks like I have lots of info to glean through when it goes back to normal

my mother recalls visits to granma Rosina Kennard when a young child perhaps in late 1920's - early 1930's

Valda the time you spent researching is appreciated

my mother vaguely recalls a mention of someone a female of the Kennard family dying early to throat cancer & a male killed in action during WW1, could possibly be young Thomas

Offline Finder

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 14 December 07 12:05 GMT (UK) »
I'll try to get a marriage certificate...