Author Topic: Who was Hannah Hudson?  (Read 2052 times)

Offline chris_49

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Unknown Father - swiving then vanishing since 1750
    • View Profile
Who was Hannah Hudson?
« on: Wednesday 12 December 07 09:29 GMT (UK) »
Hi Everybody,

I'd like to get the thoughts of all you brilliant experienced rootschatters on the origin of my great great grandmother Hannah Hudson. I'm not asking for help looking up censuses or BMDs - just your thought processes. Bear with me on this, there's a fair bit of it.

The first definite sighting of her is her marriage to my great great grandad Samuel Green in 1852 in Cubbington. After that she's found on censuses in the village, but with ages 34 ('61) 46 ('71) and 50 ('81) which is odd but I've seen the originals and that's how I'd transcribe them. Her husband's age is variable too, as is her birthplace - Bedworth, Foleshill or Coventry - take your pick. I'm sure all these are the right couple because of Samuel's birthplace of Hill Wootton and their grandchild Ellen Skelcy, 3, staying with them in 1881 - (mistranscribed as Skeley) - she's my great aunt who is known about and wasn't at her parents' that year.

The marriage record is not particularly helpful. Both parties are merely "of age" and addresses merely Leek Wootton and Cubbington respectively. The witnesses were the wonderfully-named Worthy Sly and Harriet Batcheldor - not relatives as far as I know, they married each other in Leamington a few weeks later.  Sam lists his dad as John Green Ag Lab, which is as expected (except I thought John was dead then) but Hannah just leaves that blank.

Usually that means her father was unknown or maybe deceased, but I can't find a Hannah Hudson to whom that applies. In fact in 1851 the only Warwickshire-born Hannah that year was a Visitor in Leamington, aged 23, a servant as was my Hannah. Unfortunately the three visitors in that house are given only their county of birth, Warks.

The other two visitors were Isabella Knight and her daughter Emma. Isabella is a fairly unusual name, and the only Isabella Knight I found in 1841 was at Southam Union Workhouse, though her birthplace interestingly was Foreign Parts. There were other Knights there who seem to be all the same family (it was a very small workhouse) including Emma and Maria. I think they were in Leamington in 1851 visiting Maria Knight 15 an inmate in the Female Penitentiary on Wise Street.

Maria was given born Lighthorne as are some of the early Knight children (IGI extracted records) although youngest Henry was born Southam. Also in Southam 1841 was Hannah Hudson 11, living with parents Edward and Rhoda Hudson and some of their other daughters. So I thought, maybe Hannah was a friend of Maria's also visiting that census night.

However I tended to ignore this Hannah because a) although she wasn't on the IGI all her sisters were there chr either in Ryton or Ladbroke and b) a Hannah Hudson married John Grigg in 1852 and I assumed that must be her - until I idly looked up the Griggs in 1861 and found that they were much older than expected - in fact the Kenilworth-born Hannah was almost certainly the Hannah Hudson found in Harbury in 1851 (same son John) and born in Kenilworth, and that was why the IGI had her as Hannah Thurley or Hudson - Thurley her maiden name.

So that leaves the other Hannah free to marry Sam Green. OK, the birth place looks wrong but they may have been on a visit to the Coventry area which is why she was vague about where she was born. (Both next eldest sister Mary and next youngest Sarah were baptised Ladbroke, IGI.) More serious is the absence of father on the cert. Her mother Rhoda seems to have died 1848, and Edward seems to have remarried to Rebecca Wiles or Wills in 1854. Perhaps he was already in this relationship in 1852 and Hannah disapproved?

What, though is there to link this Hannah Hudson to Cubbington other than a Leamington domicile in 1851? Just one small clue. In 1851 Edward was living with his married daughter transcribed Ellen Nickel b "Righton" but actually Nickes. This fits with his daughter Ellenor chr Ryton-on-Dunsmore 1825 and her marriage to John Nicks 1850. John Nicks b North End was a visitor in Warwick in 1851, but they later move to Staffs and Yorkshire as Nix, but with  tell-tale Warks birthplaces North End and Ryton. North End is in Burton Dassett parish and that's where William and Ann Nicks had their children baptised, they were there in 1841, though not John who was 15 or so - but Thomas was there and in 1851 there's Thomas Nicks b North End a servant at Cubbington Hall.

So it's a bit tenuous, but it's all I have. Much research before 1837 has to rely on assumptions such as this. I know I should search the Ladbroke Southam and Ryton parish records for Hannah's baptism, but it's finding and going through the multitude of greater Coventry ones that's daunting.

What do you experts think? I'm not asking anyone to check records for me, but I have them for the data I've given (omitted to save space) if anyone wants them. All IGI records are extracted rather than the dreaded member-submitted.

Thanks in advance, Chris

Skelcey (Skelsey Skelcy Skeley Shelsey Kelcy Skelcher) - Warks, Yorks, Lancs <br />Hancox - Warks<br />Green - Warks<br />Draper - Warks<br />Lynes - Warks<br />Hudson - Warks<br />Morris - Denbs Mont Salop <br />Davies - Cheshire, North Wales<br />Fellowes - Cheshire, Denbighshire<br />Owens - Cheshire/North Wales<br />Hicks - Cornwall<br />Lloyd and Jones (Mont)<br />Rhys/Rees (Mont)

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Who was Hannah Hudson?
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 12 December 07 15:24 GMT (UK) »
An idea:

HAve you/can you found/find the death for Edward, and then see if he left a will? They are often wonderful tools for finding what happened to children, especially for finding married names of daughters. If he lists his children and they include Eleanor Nickes AND Hannah Green - then BINGO you have your proof.

Edmonds/Edmunds - mainly Sussex
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex

census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline chris_49

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 12 December 07 16:16 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Liz,

I did think of that, but on the one hand my Warwickshire peasant ancestors tended not to make wills before the C20th, and on the other Edward is believed to be the one who died in 1884 in Southam district aged 86 which is about right - surviving both Ellen (d 1876 in far-off Yorkshire) and Hannah (d 1882) - whereas his 2nd wife was younger than he and may be the one who survived to 1897, and I'd think she'd be the main beneficiary.

However, he seems to have had no children by this marriage, so he might have made a will while his daughters were alive, or he might have left something to his grandchildren - my great grandmother was the only known surviving child  of Hannah, but by 1884 she'd had six of her own, and Edward would have had six grandchildren and (by then) at least six great-grandchildren by Ellen. (He also had a childless daughter Rhoda still alive, Sarah and Mary have not been found.)

So on reflection it's probably worth taking a look, thanks for the suggestion, any others gratefully received.

Chris

(Correction - the other Hannah Hudson widow married Joseph Briggs, and the son on both censuses was Henry Hudson.)
Skelcey (Skelsey Skelcy Skeley Shelsey Kelcy Skelcher) - Warks, Yorks, Lancs <br />Hancox - Warks<br />Green - Warks<br />Draper - Warks<br />Lynes - Warks<br />Hudson - Warks<br />Morris - Denbs Mont Salop <br />Davies - Cheshire, North Wales<br />Fellowes - Cheshire, Denbighshire<br />Owens - Cheshire/North Wales<br />Hicks - Cornwall<br />Lloyd and Jones (Mont)<br />Rhys/Rees (Mont)

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 12 December 07 17:05 GMT (UK) »
Another idea:

the witnesses at 'your' Hannah's marriage seem not to be rellies. But have you found the witnesses on the marriages of the possible Hannah's sisters' marriages? it was quite common for sisters to be witnesses. So ... if any of the sisters maried after Hannah (sadly that discounts Ellen whom you know most about) AND they had a witness called Hannah Green........ - well, who knows?

Another thought:
Looking at Edard and Rhoda and their daughters, would Hannah have been the eldest? In which case it is possible she could have been born before the marriage (may not even have been biologically Edwards) She could well have grown up with the surname Hudson and thus married with that name, but her christening could have been in her mother's maiden name. That is something I have seen several times. Indeed her christening might therefore be in a neighbouring parish, if Rhoda and Ed didnt necesarily live in the same parish before marriage. So - have you found Rhoda and Ed's marriage? if so what was her maiden name, and is there a Hannah christened in that name.

Sorry I am getting a bit rambly...
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 12 December 07 17:23 GMT (UK) »
One question I must ask - who were Hannah Hudson and the others (Isabella and Emma Knight)  visiting in 1851? i.e who was head of household? Do they give any clues?
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex

Offline chris_49

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 12 December 07 17:37 GMT (UK) »
Thanks again Liz, thanks for taking the time to think about this.

The only sister I know about who married after Harriet was Rhoda in 1857, so I could look at that.

I think the eldest was Mary b1823 Ryton (the year her parents married). who must have died young as another Mary was born 1827 Ladbroke. The only serious gap is between her and Sarah 1831 which fits with Hannah, given as 11 in 1841 in her parents' home. Of course none of this proves she's my ancestor. I'll try the Ladbroke registers to see if Hannah was missed off the IGI - if she was baptised there, that more or less rules her out.

Rhoda's maiden name was Wright which is a top-20 surname so that doesn't help. Anyway, if Hannah was born before 1823 that makes her age seriously out on all censuses.

Another thing I should have said, I did consider Hannah might have been a very young widow in 1852, but she was Spinster. The witnesses - Worthy Sly was from Wiltshire but Hannah Batcheldor from Cubbington so she might be a relative, but if so I've not found the connection.

Thanks again, Chris

PS just got your next note: the family they were visiting were the Sewells, not known to be related. He was from Rutland but she was from Warks so I'll try to find her maiden name for clues. Possibly before 1837 again.