Author Topic: Google Book Search - So Annoying!  (Read 1132 times)

Offline Siamese Girl

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Google Book Search - So Annoying!
« on: Wednesday 12 December 07 16:33 GMT (UK) »
I know it's a wonderful, useful thing but it is driving me nuts - I've done a search for George Hole+Pilton and I come up with the Marriage Allegation Bonds of the Bishop of Bath and Wells, which just gives a snippet review.

The snippet I get includes the line " unto my daughter Edith Hole £20 into the hands of her husband George Hole" I'm pretty sure they are folk I am interested in. I've tried including other names nearby to shift the little snippet window I get up or down to read more but without any luck .... it is SO irritating. So near and yet so far!!!

Carole
CHILD Glos/London, BONUS London, DIMSDALE London, HODD and TUTT Sussex,  BONNER and PATTEN Essex, BOWLER and HOLLIER Oxfordshire, HUGH Lincolnshire, LEEDOM all.

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Google Book Search - So Annoying!
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 12 December 07 18:15 GMT (UK) »
Hi Carole,
It continues; Unto my dau Christian How £20 Unto my dau M.... Jeffries £20. Un to my son Robert.....

I hope that this helps.
Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Siamese Girl

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 12 December 07 18:39 GMT (UK) »
Well it's interesting to see that others obviously get the same snippet - the bit I'd like is the name of her father which presumably precedes it.

I don't know whether the book search is good or not. Sometimes you strike gold and can read everything, but the books that just allow a snippet, or even worse no preview at all are just tantalising if you don't have any way of getting hold of a copy!

Carole
CHILD Glos/London, BONUS London, DIMSDALE London, HODD and TUTT Sussex,  BONNER and PATTEN Essex, BOWLER and HOLLIER Oxfordshire, HUGH Lincolnshire, LEEDOM all.

Offline DianaM

• RootsChat Member
  • So much Family History, so little time ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 13 December 07 11:45 GMT (UK) »
I'm getting "Appoints as trustees his brothers-in-law said Samuel Perry, James Jeffry, of Axbridge, gent., and George Hole, of Pilton. £20 per annum to be paid durine"
Any use?

Diana
CAVILL (Yorkshire, Lancashire, Pennsylvania), BROWN (Yorks) SCOTT (Yorks) STANLEY (Staffs) TAVERNOR (Staffs) BLAKE (London, Wilts) FOGG (Derbyshire, Manchester)
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 13 December 07 13:23 GMT (UK) »
My search also brought up page 992 from "A Genealogical and Heraldic Dictionary of the Landed Gentry of Great Britain" ...it mentions Christian, wife of John Bethell and daughter  of George Hole of Pilton - did you get that one?
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Siamese Girl

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 13 December 07 17:00 GMT (UK) »
DianaM and ShaunJ ..... in both cases - no I don't seem to get either, however I search. I wonder how the Google book search works? It all seems a bit arbitary as to what it turns up ???

Carole

Offline RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Cuimhnichibh air na daoine bho'n d'thainig sibh
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 18 December 07 11:17 GMT (UK) »
Bdm James Tuthill Vicar of Compton Bishop. At Compton Bishop 10 december 1746

Offline perth tiger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 18 December 07 11:29 GMT (UK) »
i dont know if this is relevant to you or not

davey hodgson holliday nelson oxberry ruddock sunman Sidebottom
yorkshire
Census information is Crown copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk included on your posts.