Author Topic: English graveyards- rant or campaign?  (Read 3087 times)

Offline Adamand

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: English graveyards- rant or campaign?
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 15 December 07 10:00 GMT (UK) »
Hello Stan. The thing that is a shame is that the gravestones in the majority of cases are laid face down.
With the stones being at the head of the grave  they are just pushed forward and so remain in the confines of that particular grave.
The gravestones are so heavy that i am afraid the inscriptions will never be seen again

Adam

Offline Dancing Master

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 15 December 07 10:33 GMT (UK) »
A lot of churchyards and cemeteries are not safe to visit alone unfortunatley due to youths and children considering them to be a playgtround.  Gone are the days when you could take a walk through the peaceful places because the vandals have their eyes on your cars.

People are finding the gravestones have been lowered to the ground because of the danger of children playing on them and as in one case it fell over and crushed the boy.

OK very sorry about the boy but he should not have been playing in the cemetary on the gravestones in the first place.

Also, I see daily both in a morning and in the evening whilst driving past a particular Liverpool cemetary, people (mostly the same ones) each day taking their dogs into the cemetary presumable for walkies and poo's.  How disrespectful is that.

Cemeteries are not the place for dogs, vandals or being used as playgrounds.

Offline mshrmh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 15 December 07 15:28 GMT (UK) »
Dancing Master that reminded me - I was on a rare visit to Manchester city centre this week & went past St Ann's Church. They have now railed off the few remaining tombstones and put up a notice. The notice gives some information about the remaining stones and then says they deserve better than being walked over or used as picnic tables!
Their website says their graveyard was given to the council in the 19th century - must have been an early example, but details were recorded.
http://www.stannsmanchester.com/content/view/122/131/

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 15 December 07 15:42 GMT (UK) »
...  How disrespectful is that.

Cemeteries are not the place for dogs, vandals or being used as playgrounds.

What a shame.  :(

I find most of the cemeteries I have visited have been very peaceful places with no -one else around.  Most of them in my area of East Sussex have also been turned partially or wholly into nature reserves.  In the summer the only company I have are butterflies, bees and birds, truly lovely and very respectful.

Kerry
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Searching for my family - Baldwin - Sussex, Middlesex, Cork, Pilbeam - Sussex, Harmer - Sussex, Terry - Surrey, Kent, Rhoades - Lincs, Roffey - Surrey, Traies - Devon & Middlesex & many many more to be found on my website ....