Author Topic: Anyone need French ?!  (Read 3924 times)

Offline Soureau

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Anyone need French ?!
« on: Wednesday 12 December 07 23:19 GMT (UK) »
Good evening,

I have recently found RootsChat and find this site very convivial.

As I speak, read and write fluent French, it occurred to me that if anyone has a problem with French documents in their family researches, I might be able to help.

For what it's worth.........!

Soureau

Offline MarieC

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • In Queensland, Oz
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone need French ?!
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 13 December 07 05:02 GMT (UK) »
Merci beaucoup, Soureau!  :D

I am reasonably fluent in French, but also have French ancestors who are difficult to trace.  If I find anything that I cannot translate confidently, I'll be in touch!

MarieC
Census information is Crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Martins in London and Wales, Lockwoods in Yorkshire, Hartleys in London, Lichfield and Brighton, Hubands and Smiths in Ireland, Bentleys in London and Yorkshire, Denhams in Somerset, Scoles in London, Meyers in London, Cooks in Northumberland

Offline Les de B

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 13 December 07 06:16 GMT (UK) »
Hi Soureau

I might take you up on your offer of translating for a 1825 French Insurance Policy relating to my gg grandfather, Charles Belin. He was actually English, living and teaching in France.

I had a friend who did translate it for me, but she had trouble with the translation of an illness which is mentioned in the first couple of sentences. She thought it read "He states that he has had a mild attack of small pox but otherwise has not been subject to any other illness or grave infirmity". She was not quite sure about "small pox".

What do you think it is?

Les
de Belin, Swindail, Willcock, Williams, Moore, Watts, Searjeant, Watson, McCready, Reid, Spink, de Lancey, Van Cortland, and of course, Smith!

Offline Soureau

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 13 December 07 08:58 GMT (UK) »
Good morning Les,

I confirm that "la petite vérole" is translated by smallpox. By precaution I checked with my huge Le Robert & Collins dictionary, but they say the same thing, although an alternative could possibly be syphilis. However, I reckon that in the context small pox is the correct translation.

Interesting document though, and Belin sounds French anyway. There's a well-known brand of biscuits - Les Biscuits Belin - available today in most supermarkets !

Nick

And for Marie:

Il n'y a pas de quoi ! Si je peux aider, ce serait avec plaisir !

Nick

Offline Tati

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Ephraim's daughter to infinity & beyond
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 13 December 07 09:26 GMT (UK) »
Hi all   :D

I agree it's smallpox too but I can't see any mention of 'a mild attack'. He merely states he had had smallpox.

:)

"My dear, I think the English pronounce it 'appiness"  

I'm afraid of no ghost

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Les de B

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 13 December 07 10:58 GMT (UK) »
Interesting document though, and Belin sounds French anyway. There's a well-known brand of biscuits - Les Biscuits Belin - available today in most supermarkets !

Nick

Hi Nick

Thanks for the translation. I'm glad he survived small pox.

The surname does sound French, and has been a "bug bear" for many years in our family as to whether it is French or English? As the Insurance policy reads, Charles Jospeh Belin was born in Salisbury, England. His father taught French in that town, but we can't find where he was born. Charles was educated at Oxford, and became a Deacon. He opened an English School in France (Insurance Policy was probably a result of him living in France). He later went to the University of Paris, and married in the British Embassy in Paris. His first child was born in Le Harve. After a couple of years as Vice Principal of Elizabeth College, Guernsey, he returned to England where was a Headmaster in Guildford, then later a Minister in Northampshire. It was after his return to England, that he changed his surname from "Belin" to "de Belin", that surname now passed down through the generations.

My name is Les de Belin, which sounds a bit like your brand of biscuits!!! ;D

de Belin, Swindail, Willcock, Williams, Moore, Watts, Searjeant, Watson, McCready, Reid, Spink, de Lancey, Van Cortland, and of course, Smith!

Offline Soureau

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 13 December 07 21:05 GMT (UK) »
Fascinating stuff ! Your ancestor certainly made his way around.

One thing though, having had a closer look at the text, I totally agree with Tati's remark that there is no mention of a "mild attack", only that he had had small pox, full stop.

Nick

Offline Les de B

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 14 December 07 04:03 GMT (UK) »
Hi Nick

This is the translation I received from my friend. As there was some doubt over the "mild attack" of small pox, is the rest fairly accurate? It doesn't have to be exactly precise, but as long as its close enough to understand its context.

Les

This is the Policy for Mr Charles Joseph Belin, presently residing in Ingouville, near Le Havre, who declares that he was born in Salisbury on the fifth of October, 1789. He states that he has had a mild attack of small pox but otherwise has not been subject to any other illness or grave infirmity.

The Company pledged itself to follow the general arrangements as stated above and below, and to pay on the death of the said Mr Belin in accordance with the agreement made on the 26th of April, the sum of ten thousand francs to his listed inheritors who are entitled, and who outlive him.

This present Policy rests on the condition that the first premium of one hundred and eighty one francs is paid, and which is pledged to the Company on the same day and date of each year until the year 1829.

If the insured person fails to pay on the 27th of April next year, the Insurance Company has nothing to pay on the first payment already made.

Written and signed and sent to Paris for the Insurance Company 27th April 1825.

Offline MarieC

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • In Queensland, Oz
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 14 December 07 11:28 GMT (UK) »

And for Marie:

Il n'y a pas de quoi ! Si je peux aider, ce serait avec plaisir !

Nick

Nick,

Vous êtes très gentil!

(Now if you also knew about tracing people who lived in Guadeloupe back to pre-Revolutionary France, that would be even better!!!)

MarieC
Census information is Crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Martins in London and Wales, Lockwoods in Yorkshire, Hartleys in London, Lichfield and Brighton, Hubands and Smiths in Ireland, Bentleys in London and Yorkshire, Denhams in Somerset, Scoles in London, Meyers in London, Cooks in Northumberland