Author Topic: 1851 Census - West Lothian - Grant  (Read 4784 times)

Offline mrbloggins

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
1851 Census - West Lothian - Grant
« on: Thursday 13 December 07 11:09 GMT (UK) »
Is someone able to help me with census information for 1851 covering West Lothian?  The family I am looking for is:  Head:  John Grant; Spouse:  Mary Baird;  child: Marion Grant, christened 15 Jan 1843, Ecclesmachan, West Lothian.

The John Grant I have on my charts was born in 1820/1821 and was a medical doctor.  The John Grant listed above may or may not be the same one - I'm crossing my fingers.
Atkinson, Ranney, Bludd, Blud, Bittner, Mason, Dixon, Bainbridge

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: 1851 Census - West Lothian - Grant
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 13 December 07 13:53 GMT (UK) »
The only Marion Grant born 1843 (or anywhere near it) Ecclesmachan appears on 1851 Census with parents James and Mary and James is shown as an Ag. Lab.

Other childrens baptisms all show parents as James Grant and Mary Baird so looks like the John shown on Marion's baptism should in fact be James.

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline mrbloggins

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 13 December 07 14:10 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for looking Annette.  It was a bit of a long shot, but this particular family was the closest I could find on the LDS site.   My mother's great grandfather was Malcolm Ranney from Topsham Devon, who married Marion Grant from Scotland.  Marion was born (according to the 1901 Canadian census) in July 1844 and her father was John Grant (originally from Scotland) who was a surgeon in the Boer War and later an MD in Toronto Ontario, Canada.  There's no mention anywhere of Marion's mother so I suspect she probably died young.

Anyway, thank you very much for checking out this census for me.  It's one more source I can cross of the list.

Merry Christmas

Steve

Offline runningbear

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 15 December 07 20:44 GMT (UK) »
hi steve,

according to what i can see, someone else is researching the family and have them married in canada in 1857, seems they say that malcolm was born in the indies 1838 and they have the father's name.

like annette i cannot find a surgeon/doctor grant on the 1851 census.

have you got all the canadian census info on this family? as there might be clues in earlier ones.

Joe
helping wherever possible

Offline mrbloggins

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 16 December 07 02:35 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the info Joe.  I thought for a minute you'd stumbled onto my rootsweb tree but the Malcolm born in 1838 has to be from someone else.  I'd be interested in knowing where this other information is.  The 1838 is definitely wrong but they may have info I can use.

Malcolm was actually born in Bombay, India, as were four of his brothers and sisters - His father, William Parker Ranney, originally from Topsham, was a sea captain with the East India Company.  Malcolm's date of birth was 27 November 1829 - He married Marion Grant in two ceremonies - one in Scotland and then weeks later in Toronto, Canada.  I've got Malcolm's line traced from the current date right back to his great, great grandfather but I have pretty much nothing on Marion Grant's family other than the fact that her father's name was John, he was a medical doctor and he was born in Scotland and died in Toronto.

Thanks again for looking.  If you can find that other info you mentioned, I'd appreciate a link.

Steve

Offline mrbloggins

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 16 December 07 14:15 GMT (UK) »
Sorry - change all dates to 1800s in the last post.

Offline M. Ranney

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 02 April 11 08:04 BST (UK) »

Hi Steve. I was hoping you would have information regarding the Ranney line prior to William Parker Ranney.  I've recently began tracing the Ranney family heritage and have made it as far as William Parker but was hoping to utilize your research to expedite my searches through history. I'm a direct descendant of William (through Malcolm b.1829 Bombay) and have been working on tracing my personal history.

Any information you have prior to William would be greatly appreciated!!

Michael

Offline mrbloggins

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 02 April 11 13:18 BST (UK) »
Hi Michael - it's great to hear from you, especially since you are talking about my Great-Great-Great Grandfather, William Parker Ranney.  I have traced his line back another four generations (William Parker Ranney's father was William (born 1759 in Great Yarmouth), his father was William Ranney (born 1731 in Yarmouth England and his father was George Renney (born c:1700); George's father was Thomas Renney (married Ann).  Here's a link to my chart on Rootsweb:

http://wc.rootsweb.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?op=GET&db=atkinson1&id=I22813

Contact me by email and I'll send you a genealogy report filling in all of the Ranney lines coming forward from Thomas and Ann.  My email address can be located on the top of the page on that rootsweb link above. (if I write it out in text here I would end up on all kinds of spam lists)

Steve Atkinson

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 02 April 11 13:39 BST (UK) »
Hi Steve and Michael

Welcome to RootsChat Michael  :)

Michael, to be able to use the Personal Message service (PMs), you need to have posted at least 3 times on the main forum.

Once you have done so, your PM facility is activated and it is the way to exchange personal emails here on RootsChat.

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk