Author Topic: Your comments please!  (Read 1187 times)

Offline Silvilocks

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Your comments please!
« on: Friday 14 December 07 08:31 GMT (UK) »
Morning all

I would really appreciate your comments on this, as for once in my life I’m completely lost for words.

I recently started a distance learning genealogy course – it leads to a qualification, its long term and it isn’t cheap. I’ve been working on this week’s assignment which takes the form of various questions. You submit your answers online and immediately get a pop up box with the instructor’s correct response.

One question asked me to outline a research plan to go further with the information I had to work with. This was the opening of the ‘instructor’s correct response’. It helps if you know that Tollington is a sub-district of Islington, London.

‘Begin first by looking at the 1911 census for Tollington.’

What the *!$%*!!! The 1911 isn’t available to search through districts!!! A novice researcher would know that and this is the response of a supposedly professional instructor! What makes it even worse is that the qualification I was aiming for was with specialization in ENGLISH records and I’m getting misinformation like that given to me.

Can anyone suggest how I should handle this? The course is run by a professional (hah!) organization and the qualification is given in conjunction with a university. I can’t decide at the moment whether to go in with all guns blazing and send really outraged emails to both, or whether to just email the genealogical organization, quietly point out their error and ask for their comments.

I’m not naming and shaming at present as I don’t think I could do that without getting libellous. I won’t be going any further with the course and I am considering asking for a refund of the money I’ve paid so far. If they come back with a stroppy attitude I’m also going to have them over their advertising of the course, as they have no right to be using words like ‘professional’ and ‘knowledgeable’ about themselves.

Feeling a bit better now I’ve got this off my chest, but I’m still furious. Will be really grateful to hear what any of you have to say on the matter.

Cheers

Silvilocks

Edit: Just to add that 1911 isn't a misprint for 1901 - the person to be searched for was born in February 1911.

Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline nanny jan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Russian John
    • View Profile
Re: Your comments please!
« Reply #1 on: Friday 14 December 07 09:17 GMT (UK) »
Hi Silvilocks,

I'd email pointing out the very basic error, and if you are not going to continue the course, ask for a refund (it is "not doing what it said on the tin")

Nanny Jan
Howard , Viney , Kingsman, Pain/e, Rainer/ Rayner, Barham, George, Wakeling (Catherine), Vicary (Frederick)   all LDN area/suburbs  Ottley/ MDX,
Henman/ KNT   Gandy/LDN before 1830  Burgess/LDN
Barham/SFK   Rainer/CAN (Toronto) Gillians/CAN  Sturgeon/CAN (Vancouver)
Bailey/LDN Page/KNT   Paling/WA (var)

All census look-ups are crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 14 December 07 09:29 GMT (UK) »
hi silvilocks

had a look online

http://www.1911census.org.uk/

so it looks like you can search the 1911 census for 45 pounds a pop
result or no result but need to know the address

ev
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 14 December 07 09:32 GMT (UK) »
I agree with Nanny Jan. The 1911 census is not really available to the public yet (and will not be for some time) and £45 to complete the answer to the question is unreasonable and probably not possible as ev says you need to know the address to search- did they mention anywhere that there would be huge costs to complete some of the assignments?
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 14 December 07 09:48 GMT (UK) »
hi all

maybe better to name this organization and we can check it's reputation
and worth of qualifications good or bad

ev
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Offline Silvilocks

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 14 December 07 09:55 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Thanks for the replies so far. To clarify a couple of points about the course, we’re not actually required to carry out the research for this assignment, so I don’t have to send a large cheque off for a census search. We’re just supposed to say what research plan we would follow in theory. If the response had been ‘obtain the 1911 census entry for the address at which this person was born’, I wouldn’t have a problem. But you’re specifically told to search through a district, which they must know isn’t possible if they actually know what they’re talking about.

Ev, I’m not happy about naming until I’ve given them a chance to have their say. To be honest, I don’t think they’re going to be able to give me an acceptable answer – I can’t see that there is one. In that event, I intend to check with a mod that I won’t be dropping Rootschat into any trouble if I name them on here and I’ll be quite happy to say who they are.

I’m gradually calming down, and I think I’m going to send them a cool and calm email, pointing out what they’ve done and asking what they have to say. THEN I’ll let rip.

Cheers

Silvilocks

Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 14 December 07 09:59 GMT (UK) »
Agree it's probably best not to mention the name but do let us know what they say.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!