Author Topic: sad story in the scotsman  (Read 672 times)

Offline poppysmum

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Granpa Wilson and Cousin Dod - Peebles Cemetery
    • View Profile
sad story in the scotsman
« on: Friday 14 December 07 09:42 GMT (UK) »
Yesterday i found the death certificates for two children in my ancestors family that had been burned.
i loked on the scotsman website to see if anything came up, it did and when i clicked on it, it let me see the whole article instead of asking for payment.
The story was sad, the mum had left 3 kids, 4, 2 and 5 months in the house alone for 10 minutes and they must have played with matches and set the bedding on fire, they were all killed.

Thing is though, the scotsman let me look at clippings all day without charging me but this morning it is back to normal and asks for payment.   :(
Whytes, Durness; Bulloch, lanarkshire; Wilson, lanarkshire; Wilson, peebleshire; Rickelton, Glasgow; Harris, ayrshire and glasgow ; Steele, ayrshire; Duffy, leith Smith, Leith;  Stewart, ayrshire and Glasgow

Offline MarieC

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • In Queensland, Oz
    • View Profile
Re: sad story in the scotsman
« Reply #1 on: Friday 14 December 07 11:50 GMT (UK) »
poppysmum,

All I can say is, your ancestors must want to be found and are helping!  Lucky you!  (Some of mine are putting big obstacles in the way!)

MarieC
Census information is Crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Martins in London and Wales, Lockwoods in Yorkshire, Hartleys in London, Lichfield and Brighton, Hubands and Smiths in Ireland, Bentleys in London and Yorkshire, Denhams in Somerset, Scoles in London, Meyers in London, Cooks in Northumberland

Offline poppysmum

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Granpa Wilson and Cousin Dod - Peebles Cemetery
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 14 December 07 12:25 GMT (UK) »
i hadn't thought of it like that!
Whytes, Durness; Bulloch, lanarkshire; Wilson, lanarkshire; Wilson, peebleshire; Rickelton, Glasgow; Harris, ayrshire and glasgow ; Steele, ayrshire; Duffy, leith Smith, Leith;  Stewart, ayrshire and Glasgow

Offline MarieC

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • In Queensland, Oz
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 15 December 07 09:38 GMT (UK) »
Well, The Scotsman let you look at things for one whole day free - very odd!  Just allowed you to get what you needed about your rellies!

Do tell them to talk to mine and tell them to stop hiding - there is nothing to be concerned about!

MarieC
Census information is Crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Martins in London and Wales, Lockwoods in Yorkshire, Hartleys in London, Lichfield and Brighton, Hubands and Smiths in Ireland, Bentleys in London and Yorkshire, Denhams in Somerset, Scoles in London, Meyers in London, Cooks in Northumberland