Author Topic: Recording Family History for the future  (Read 2289 times)

Offline jax

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Recording Family History for the future
« on: Sunday 02 January 05 14:09 GMT (UK) »
Hello everybody - happy new year  ;D

I have come across a website where you can buy memory books to record our lives now - for future generations.  I have ordered two, one for my parents to fill in and one for myself to record my own life.

I thought this was a great idea - the link is below. 

http://www.pricelesstreasuresonline.com/index.html

You can PM me if you want to know what I think about them when they arrive.  They may be a load of rubbish, in which case they will be going back - but I just couldn't resist as this is something I have been looking out for - for a while  :D

jax  ;)
Jones, Venner, Kenealy, Morphett, Tree, Maxted, Page, all from or around Lydd, Ivychurch, Romney Marsh.<br />Also<br />Twyman, Daisy Kent/Thanet Area.<br />Also<br />Fidler, Berkshire.  Butcher, Faversham.<br />Also<br />Everson Suffolk/Norfolk<br />Knights, Vann (Wenn) Norfolk
Hilden - Kent and surrounding areas (romany gypsy connections)

Offline suttontrust

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Recording Family History for the future
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 02 January 05 20:33 GMT (UK) »
It doesn't look like something I'd ever touch.  If we're trying to make life easier for future researchers what we need to do is preserve documents, letters and photographs, and any diaries that we're rash enough to keep.  For instance, I recently spent a year as an elected member of the local Council, and have a collection of mementos from that year that posterity might be mildly interested in.  But I suspect that when I'm gone it will all be chucked out.
Godden in East Sussex, mainly Hastings area.
Richards in Lea, Gloucestershire, then London.
Williamson in Leith, Vickers in Nottingham.
Webb in Bildeston and Colchester.
Wesbroom in Kirby le Soken.
Ellington in Harwich.
Park, Palmer, Segar and Peartree in Kersey.

Offline jax

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 03 January 05 15:02 GMT (UK) »
Chucked out??? how sad  :(

I believe these books do allow space for photos, mementos and such like to be kept also...  I guess its like a glorified diary which I think could become very precious to our children and their children after we've gone. 

I would love to have come across such a thing from one of my ancestors with their own thoughts and feelings hand written inside.  It would give more of a picture of our lives rather than just documentation of facts and events.  And the one I will give to my parents to fill with their memories and thoughts will hopefully evoke some further information of which I have been unaware.  And I know I will treasure it long after they have gone too..

jax
Jones, Venner, Kenealy, Morphett, Tree, Maxted, Page, all from or around Lydd, Ivychurch, Romney Marsh.<br />Also<br />Twyman, Daisy Kent/Thanet Area.<br />Also<br />Fidler, Berkshire.  Butcher, Faversham.<br />Also<br />Everson Suffolk/Norfolk<br />Knights, Vann (Wenn) Norfolk

Offline jax

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 05 January 05 19:42 GMT (UK) »
My books arrived today - very prompt service, but have to admit that although I love the idea of this - the books are not worth the money in my opinion.

I expected them to be hard backed A4 size books and a feel of quality and tasteful design.

But instead they were soft covered A5 size.  Also, I didn't like the little pictures (looked very childish) and lacked a traditional feel to them that I expected. 

Again, although a fantastic idea - and I will keep on searching - I was not impressed with the overall quality and design of these  :(

I am sure that some people would love them, and indeed they offer an excellent and very prompt service.

They also offer a 30 day no quibble money back guarantee, which is great - but it has still cost me the P&P + handling fee of £1 per book for administration  ???

Oh well - we live and learn -  ;)

Offline cfmshrops

• I am sorry but my emails are no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 05 January 05 21:39 GMT (UK) »
:)
Well I see from a recent magazine a "Life Diary" advertised as just being released. It is a little expensive though at £24.85. However, it is A4 and hard backed available from www.lifediary.com
This one looks a bit too modern for me though - so all you entrepreneur's out there......
But I agree, I wish someone had left even a few letters or that my tidy Mum had not thrown them away!
Kearns-Shropshire,Staffordshire and Dublin.
Swann -  Bolsover, Heanor, Notts/Derbyshire
Pugh - Shrewsbury,Shropshire
Stone - Quarndon, Derbyshire.

Offline jax

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 06 January 05 12:03 GMT (UK) »
when I was growing up I remember that my grandmother used to keep a daily diary and I remember that they were with my mum and dad after she died (about 24 years ago now)

then the genealogy bug bit me and I was very excited to ask mum and dad for her diaries - but alas - they both shook their heads as they replied 'they got thrown away'  :'( - NOoooooooooo

Offline cfmshrops

• I am sorry but my emails are no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 06 January 05 20:23 GMT (UK) »
:(
I sympathise lots.
I remember one too as well. I went to a local village sale (I used to dabble in antique stuff). The sale was a village Reverends house with a library full of local history books. I remember them going for 50p per lot - you know the  big wooden boxes - full and lots of them.
But I had to restrict what I bought to what would fit in the car!!!
I wonder with the advance of technology if we put it on to a CD ROM or DVD if someone will allow for the space!
It also makes me think in the future will someone need readers like we do microfilm - the mind boggles!

Kearns-Shropshire,Staffordshire and Dublin.
Swann -  Bolsover, Heanor, Notts/Derbyshire
Pugh - Shrewsbury,Shropshire
Stone - Quarndon, Derbyshire.

Offline nuttyred

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 24 June 05 11:58 BST (UK) »
What i plan to do is make a 'scrapbook' for my 2 daughters, 9 and 13, for their 18th birthdays as a 'special-money can't buy present', the scrap books will be full of treasured memories of the 1st 18 years of their lives, some thing they can enjoy for ever and show their children and grandchildren!!   
i am gathering up photos of school events, birthdays, christmas,when it snowed, holidays etc etc....as well as concert tickets, postcards,newspaper cuttings and so on.

a diary! what a good idea.........i'm going to write one, then when i'm long gone it can be read by my daughters/grand children/g grand children etc
Parkin-Crowle/Epworth
Tune-Crowle
Coultard-Crowle
Clements-Garthorpe/Swinefleet/Suffolk
Brown-Whitgift/Sutton-le-marsh/Anderby
Worsley-Garthorpe/Luddington
Graham-Walkeringham/Swinefleet/Whitgift/Reedness
Featherby-Reedness area
Martin- Lincs
Meggitt-Lincoln/Saxilby
Jude-Lincoln/Scunthorpe