Author Topic: need some help please  (Read 706 times)

Offline poppysmum

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Granpa Wilson and Cousin Dod - Peebles Cemetery
    • View Profile
need some help please
« on: Friday 14 December 07 10:56 GMT (UK) »
ok, I'll try and explain this one!

John Tennant and elizabeth blackie, married in leith moved to glasgow, he was a customs officer.
at least 6 kids, one called james married jessie main, their daughter was my great granpas mum.

Right, james wife jessie died in glasgow poorhouse and i have her poor relief aplication, it says that of her husbands family there is a sister helen married to andrew manson (i have found this one) and an other sister elizabeth, wid sherriff liverpool.  Now when i first saw this i thought it meant she was the widow of a sherrif, but i have found two boys in the manson family who have the middle name sherriff so now i am thinking this was her husbands name, not occupation.
By the way, elizabeth was born in leith in 1842.

I have been trying to find her but with no luck after the 1861 census where she is living with her parents

has anybody seen any clues that i might have missed or have any ideas for me?
pretty please  :)

caroline

Whytes, Durness; Bulloch, lanarkshire; Wilson, lanarkshire; Wilson, peebleshire; Rickelton, Glasgow; Harris, ayrshire and glasgow ; Steele, ayrshire; Duffy, leith Smith, Leith;  Stewart, ayrshire and Glasgow

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: need some help please
« Reply #1 on: Friday 14 December 07 11:24 GMT (UK) »
What date did Jessie Tennant die in Glasgow Poorhouse? That will at least establish a date when sister-in-law Elizabeth was widowed/alive.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline MarieC

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • In Queensland, Oz
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 14 December 07 11:39 GMT (UK) »
Could Elizabeth have remarried?  Have you looked for a remarriage for her?

MarieC
Census information is Crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Martins in London and Wales, Lockwoods in Yorkshire, Hartleys in London, Lichfield and Brighton, Hubands and Smiths in Ireland, Bentleys in London and Yorkshire, Denhams in Somerset, Scoles in London, Meyers in London, Cooks in Northumberland

Offline poppysmum

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Granpa Wilson and Cousin Dod - Peebles Cemetery
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 14 December 07 12:38 GMT (UK) »
jessie died in 1915 but the poorhouse application is dated 1895 (i'll need to check to be sure).

i haven't checked for a remarriage but i haven't found her first marriage yet.

thanks, caroline
Whytes, Durness; Bulloch, lanarkshire; Wilson, lanarkshire; Wilson, peebleshire; Rickelton, Glasgow; Harris, ayrshire and glasgow ; Steele, ayrshire; Duffy, leith Smith, Leith;  Stewart, ayrshire and Glasgow