Author Topic: 1841/61 Dysart census  (Read 7350 times)

Offline welch41

• Error with email address please contact support
  • RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
1841/61 Dysart census
« on: Sunday 02 January 05 15:15 GMT (UK) »
Happy New Year to all the group.
Can anyone tell me if there is either a CD or booklet published for the 1841 and 61 census for Dysart?
I have tried FFHS and TVHS.
My surname list has now expanded to-
Davidson,Robertson,Gray,Spence,Morris,Syme,Duguid,Sinclair.
Regards
marilyn
Sussex-Killick,Balconbe
Scotland-Walker,Syme,Duguid,Gray,Galloway,Swan,Robertson,Davidson.Dysart area
England-Cambs-Pett
Suffolk-Fish

Offline longshanks

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: 1841/61 Dysart census
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 09 January 05 17:01 GMT (UK) »
I have access to the 1841 Census for Dysart if you can tell me what you want to know.
Beattie,Edwards,Hope,Jarman,McLuckie, Meason, Murray, Summers, Welsh, Wilde, Wemyss, Wright

Offline welch41

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 10 January 05 21:05 GMT (UK) »
I have access to the 1841 Census for Dysart if you can tell me what you want to know.
Hi,
that is very kind of you.
I have John Walker born 1828 Dysart, father David Walker mother Catherine.I would really like to know ages of the parents if it is listed.
many thanks
marilyn
Sussex-Killick,Balconbe
England-Cambs-Pett
Suffolk-Fish

Offline longshanks

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 11 January 05 21:29 GMT (UK) »
There is an 1841 Census entry for West Gallatown in Dysart, which is about a mile inland, at Back Lane. This gaves David Walker 31,  Catherine 30, John 11, David 7, Margaret 5, James 2, Alexander 1.  David's occupation is given as Linen Handloom Weaver - this was the main occupation in Gallatown.

I also know from the FFHS Death Records CD that a son of David Walker in Gallatown, Thomas Walker, died 27th December 1836.  He may belong between John 11 and David 7.

1841 ages, especially children's, are not very accurate. If born 1828 your John should have been 12 or 13, but that's not unexpected for 1841. Also no relationships are given or birthplaces.

There were a number of Walkers in Wester Gallatown, including Alexander 33, Alan 30, and Andrew 41 all married and all Hand loom weavers.  It is just possible these are brothers, though only one, Alexander appears in your ancestor's siblings. There is also a John Walker aged 69 Hand loom weaver living with Elizabeth 25. He could be the father of David, especially as if following the usual naming tradition here, John is named after his grandfather.

Again following the naming tradition, Thomas (the child who died early, possibly) could be Catherine's father, as David who follows has his father's name. The eldest daughter Margaret may indicate the name of David's mother.

There is another death entry for St Clair town, just south of West Gallatown in 14th November 1848 of a Catherine, daughter of David Walker, weaver.

Hope this helps.
Beattie,Edwards,Hope,Jarman,McLuckie, Meason, Murray, Summers, Welsh, Wilde, Wemyss, Wright

Offline welch41

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 12 January 05 18:23 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
Many thanks for all the info. you sent me.
It all ties in with what I already have.I thought Davids' mother was Johanna Robertson,but I cannot find a child of that name from that marriage,so I will work on the name Margaret as you suggested.
Thanks again and best regards
Marilyn
Sussex-Killick,Balconbe
England-Cambs-Pett
Suffolk-Fish

Offline longshanks

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 12 January 05 22:05 GMT (UK) »
I forgot to add, of the possible brothers amongst the other Walkers, Alexander, whose name appears amongst David's children, married Ann 30 and had children - John 12, Elizabeth 10, Ann 3, Jennet 1.

James married to Margaret (?) 46, had John 6, Ann 4, Margaret 2 and Jennet 2

Note they don't stick rigidly to the naming sequence but do have firstborn sons John

The third I mentioned doesn't fit this pattern Andrew 41, no spouse given, James 16, George 14, Andrew 12, Robert 10, Margaret 8 Thomas 6, Elizabeth 4, Ann 2.  He might bot be a brother but could be a cousin whose father was James Walker.

Its all speculative, but reading wider family networks sometimes helps. I wish I could solve mine, but they were in the lost parishes I guess (some of the 1841 census enumerators books missed the main ferry, but the second ferry sank in a storm).

Good luck.

Offline welch41

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 13 January 05 19:03 GMT (UK) »
hello again:)
I think you could well be right about Alex 33.David had a brother that name and that year,so I will work on that and the other clues you have given me.
I have been using Scotlands people site and found it to be very good.The trouble is I got carried away and I now have too much information to unravel ::)
Do you mind if I ask you another question please?
Does the pre 1855 death index give maiden names of married females?I have pondered about buying this,instead I bought the FFHS M.I;s but so far there are no entries that are useful to me.
Thanks again for your help.
Regards
Marilyn
Sussex-Killick,Balconbe
England-Cambs-Pett
Suffolk-Fish

Offline longshanks

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 13 January 05 23:09 GMT (UK) »
I've found the death index a pretty mixed bag. It doesn't contain the deaths I need to find, and this may be simply that a lot of poor families used common burial ground and didn't leave memorials or markers. I've found no gravestones or MIs earlier than my great great grandparents. What the index gives you is sometimes the maiden name and sometimes the married name, with sometimes extra information like kin - wife, daughter etc., occupation, and if from the newspapers, cause of death. At a tenner its a worthwhile investment even if you get more blanks than results. It also tells you in respect of children particularly, if they are buried in another person's plot. It was the custom for poorer families to beg a space in the grave of an adult death at the time of a child. There seems to have been a lot of this sort of generous spirit around. Although it hasn't solved my problem directly, it has given me an indirect clue I'm following up at the moment.

There are also a few mystery graveyards around with no stones, or just initialled stones, like one in the Cluny area of Auchterderran Parish which was excavated by the archaeologists in the late 1980s, and had been used up to the 18th century, but no-one is sure why.

Offline welch41

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 15 January 05 13:58 GMT (UK) »
I had wondered how the poor managed to bury the dead, the infant mortality was so high.Thats something else I have learned:)
I will certainly think about the death index,it could prove useful.
Regards
Marilyn
Sussex-Killick,Balconbe
England-Cambs-Pett
Suffolk-Fish