Author Topic: Findlays of Fetteresso  (Read 47780 times)

Offline dod m

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Findlays of Fetteresso
« Reply #36 on: Wednesday 01 September 10 21:32 BST (UK) »
Hello, A couple of Cookney School Registers, one dated 1874-1889 the other 1897-1921 were recovered. these records had fallen down behind wall panels. As far as I'm aware the rest of the records were destroyed by the Council.
They are in Excel XLR format, so can be sorted by name date etc.
If anyone requires a copy?.PM me and I will email a copy to you.
Regards Dod
Jamieson,
Gillespie
Brown,
Collie,
Milne,
Anderson,
Stewart,
Wyllie,
Findlay,
Kincardineshire Scotland.

McIntyre,
Helm,
McLean
 Dunoon Argyll Scotland.

Offline Aberdeen Archives

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Thursday 02 September 10 13:27 BST (UK) »
Hello, A couple of Cookney School Registers, one dated 1874-1889 the other 1897-1921 were recovered. these records had fallen down behind wall panels. As far as I'm aware the rest of the records were destroyed by the Council.
They are in Excel XLR format, so can be sorted by name date etc.
If anyone requires a copy?.Let me know.
Regards Dod
Aberdeen City and Aberdeenshire Archives hold records relating to Cookney School, including admission registers from 1921 and log books from 1874, so they certainly weren't destroyed by the Council!  The Archives hold school records for around 500 schools across the North East of Scotland and you can see what school records we have on their online catalogue at www.aberdeencity.gov.uk/archivecatalogue

Do you know if the original registers you have which are in an Excel format survive?  It explains why the Archives only have ones from 1921 if these were found at a later date, behind a wall panel.  It's amazing the places things like this turn up in!  We recently received an admission register which was believed to have been destroyed in a fire, but had actually been taken home by one of the teachers.  The register was then found in the loft many years later!
Contact us at either:
Aberdeen City and Aberdeenshire Archives, Town House, Broad Street Aberdeen, AB10 1AQ
Telephone: 01224 522513  Email: archives[at]aberdeencity.gov.uk
OR
Aberdeen City and Aberdeenshire Archives, Old Aberdeen House, Dunbar Street, Aberdeen, AB24 3UJ
Telephone 01224 481775 Email: archives[at]aberdeencity.gov.uk

Offline dod m

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Thursday 02 September 10 14:38 BST (UK) »
I believe you already had access to the records when you copied them from the originals held by a local farmer who found them when he was converting the school into a grain drier.

I copied these records about 20 years ago, and have no idea if the originals still survive.

If you have the complete set of admission records, I'm very pleased to hear that, and I look forward to accessing them on line.Thank You for letting me know.

When Kincardineshire was amalgamated with Aberdeenshire there was very strong rumors that school registry records among others were being destroyed!!.

Thank You for your help.
Dod
Jamieson,
Gillespie
Brown,
Collie,
Milne,
Anderson,
Stewart,
Wyllie,
Findlay,

McIntyre,
Helm,
McLean
 Dunoon Argyll Scotland.

Offline Aberdeen Archives

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Monday 04 October 10 11:56 BST (UK) »
I believe you already had access to the records when you copied them from the originals held by a local farmer who found them when he was converting the school into a grain drier.

I copied these records about 20 years ago, and have no idea if the originals still survive.

If you have the complete set of admission records, I'm very pleased to hear that, and I look forward to accessing them on line.Thank You for letting me know.

When Kincardineshire was amalgamated with Aberdeenshire there was very strong rumors that school registry records among others were being destroyed!!.

Thank You for your help.
Dod
It seems we do indeed hold a photocopy of the admission registers - our list shows them as being for 1867 to 1899 and 1897 to 1921.  The ones we hold from 1921 to 1968 are the original registers kept by the school.  It would be interesting to find out if the other ones do survive somewhere - though given that they were found behind a wall, they might have been in some state and photocopying was the only option!

How odd that there was a rumour that Kincardine records were to be destroyed!  I know that there was a lot of people who didn't want (and still don't) to be part of Aberdeenshire, and that Kincardine should retain its status, so it might have been to do with that.  The Kincardine records were already held by the Grampian Regional Archives, before they became part of what is now Aberdeen City and Aberdeenshire Archives.

The link given about the records online is a link to our catalogue.  It does not have images of the records, nor can you search on information held within the records.  It's a list of items we hold (like a library catalogue) so you can see what school records we have and then get in touch about how to access them!
Contact us at either:
Aberdeen City and Aberdeenshire Archives, Town House, Broad Street Aberdeen, AB10 1AQ
Telephone: 01224 522513  Email: archives[at]aberdeencity.gov.uk
OR
Aberdeen City and Aberdeenshire Archives, Old Aberdeen House, Dunbar Street, Aberdeen, AB24 3UJ
Telephone 01224 481775 Email: archives[at]aberdeencity.gov.uk

Offline joanearls

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Isabella McDonald married George Duthie
« Reply #40 on: Monday 22 November 10 12:38 GMT (UK) »
I have a George Duthie and Isabella McDonald Circa 1822/1823 in my family tree with a daughter named Jessie born in 1857 who was married in 1882 to Daniel Mooney who was my great great grandfather . On their marriage certificate it states that George Duthie is the father and occupation  as Master Mason mother maiden name as Isabella McDonald and deceased.  On the Census of 1861 it has a George Duthie  Born in Fortwilliam and Isabella born in Argyle.I am especially interested in Isabella McDonald who was supposed to be a direct decendent from the Glencoe McDonalds.My mother was very proud of her Glencoe connections but I can't find them . It's guesswork after that as to who her parents were.
Would anyone have any information that would help.hanks Joan

Offline Douglas Nelson

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Friday 17 December 10 18:42 GMT (UK) »
Hi Mark Simpson

I can clear up a few of your questions regarding the Findlay's from Netherlay. My uncle was William Findlay from Netherley.  He married Hilda.   Betty is my cousin. My mother Lizzie was a sister of William Findlay.

There were 8 siblings in total.  George 31/07/1884 - 7/06/1968, Elsie 8/08/1885, David (who emegrated to NZ) 20/10/1886 - 1992, Maggie (died in infancy) 26/07/1888 - 26/09/1889, Lizzie (My Mother) 6/09/1890 - 26/4/1977, William 26/04/1892, May 9/10/1893, Nina (Mary) 17/10/1902 - 13/11/1995, and Fanny 12/01/1904 - 26/01/1993.  May had 2 daughters called Nellie and Jessie.

There parents were David Findlay 30/06/1856 - 18/02/1937 and Margaret Craig 22/10/1858 - 22/02/1917.

David was the youngest of a family of William Findlay and May Lourie. The other siblings were Jean, Willie, George, James, John and Robert.

Margaret Craig was the daughter of George Craig and Barbera Middleton. The other siblings were Elsie, Barbera, Mary, Isobel, Nellie, Jeannie, Jamie, George and Joseph.

Betty's brother Alistair visited me here at Chrisswell Farm, Greenock some years ago and my sister Elsie who lives in St Thomas in Ontario has visited the family in NZ.

Douglas

Offline Dougalgeorge

• RootsChat Senior
  • Marjorie Aspinall
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Saturday 18 December 10 08:23 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

A big thank you to Dod for the Cookney school rolls   :)

Merry Christmas to all  8)

Kindest regards
Tracey
Blackbird - Swalwell, Durham
Aspinall - Newton by Hyde, Ashton Under Lyne, Glossop, Westhoughton
Simpson - Hyde, Cheshire
Milne - Stonehaven, Scotland
Robertson - Dundee
Porter - Alnwick, Northumberland

Offline Gushetneuk

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Thursday 24 February 11 22:10 GMT (UK) »
Hi all, Fanny Findlay was my Grandmother and I remember Ninah well.  My Grandmother wrote somethings down in the last few years of her life when she lived in Glebe Court. There is a lot written down about the history of the Craig and Findlay families and some of her youthful memories that make good reading. I was going to get it all  re-typed but have not got round to it.

If anyone wants copies get in touch and I think my aunts have some more info if needed. There's also stuff on the Milnes as well   

Offline dod m

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Tuesday 15 March 11 19:40 GMT (UK) »
Hi all, Fanny Findlay was my Grandmother and I remember Ninah well. My Grandmother wrote somethings down in the last few years of her life when she lived in Glebe Court. There is a lot written down about the history of the Craig and Findlay families and some of her youthful memories that make good reading. I was going to get it all re-typed but have not got round to it.

If anyone wants copies get in touch and I think my aunts have some more info if needed. There's also stuff on the Milnes as well
Hi there, I would be very interested in a copy of the history of the above families.
Dod m
Jamieson,
Gillespie
Brown,
Collie,
Milne,
Anderson,
Stewart,
Wyllie,
Findlay,

McIntyre,