Author Topic: How to find scottish person born in england?  (Read 970 times)

Offline rootchatter1

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
How to find scottish person born in england?
« on: Saturday 15 December 07 22:57 GMT (UK) »
Hello,

I am trying to find the birth certificate of a person who was born born in England and lived in Scotland most their lives.

Is there an office i can go to in Scotland, like the General registers office in Edinburgh, or how would i do it?

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
Re: How to find scottish person born in england?
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 15 December 07 23:00 GMT (UK) »
If they were born in England, presumably the birth was registered in England.  What year are we talking about and do you have a name of the person.  There are lots of sites you can check for the birth. 

Try

http://www.freebmd.org.uk/cgi/search.pl

it is a free site and has most births from 1837 to the early 1900s.  If you need more help, shout and someone will help you.

Lizzie

Offline Ecneps

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Rosalie Mathilda Jönsson 1916-1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 15 December 07 23:03 GMT (UK) »
Hi, rootchatter1

Welcome to rootschat  :)

When you find the birth reference that you're looking for, you can either order the certificate from the local register office, there's a list here:
http://www.ukbmd.org.uk/genuki/reg/

or order direct from the GRO at
http://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/

As Lizzie says, do let us know if we can help further

Barbara  :)
`There are two lasting bequests we can give our children -  One is roots - the other is wings`- Hodding Carter

Census and bmd information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Lincs & Yorks - SIVILLS PREDGEN    Norfolk - EBBS WHITEROD ZIPFELL       Sweden - JÖNSSON CRONBERG ANDERSSON      Yorks - SPENCE HIDE HIRD      Durham - DALKIN SELBY RENWICK

Offline rootchatter1

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 15 December 07 23:34 GMT (UK) »
Thanks,

I should have said i am in scotland, obviously, the year would be 1976, and i know their name.

I just wondered if there was i place i could go and search in Scotland(pref Edinburgh) without having to order a single certificate online.  Or if i could do an online search....?

I suppose i could order, but id rather be able to pay to do a few searches at once, like you can at the registers office in Edinburgh.

Offline Ecneps

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 15 December 07 23:56 GMT (UK) »
If the birth was registered in England, you need to look at the GRO index for England, you can do that free online at ancestry.co.uk, pay-to-view at findmypast, or maybe if you contact Edinburgh library they'll be able to tell you if they have the index.  (Or someone on here could look up the details for you, but as it's probably a living person you need to give the details privately in a p.m - click on the green symbol below my name next to the little face!)

Unfortunately the only information you'd get would be the year and quarter, the registration district, the reference number and the mother's maiden name, you can't see the certificate, for more details you would have to buy one, cost £7.

Barbara
`There are two lasting bequests we can give our children -  One is roots - the other is wings`- Hodding Carter

Census and bmd information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Lincs & Yorks - SIVILLS PREDGEN    Norfolk - EBBS WHITEROD ZIPFELL       Sweden - JÖNSSON CRONBERG ANDERSSON      Yorks - SPENCE HIDE HIRD      Durham - DALKIN SELBY RENWICK

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 16 December 07 00:00 GMT (UK) »
Hi Rootschatter1 - Sorry I forgot to welcome you to Rootschat previously.  Hope you'll enjoy being here as much as the rest of us.

Unfortunately, the fact that your relative was born in England means he/she will be registered in England and there is no way you can look at the certificate on line.  You can find the quarter of the year the person was born as well as the registration district and the registration reference on line (and mother's maiden name for births from 1912 onwards) - although not with the website I gave you as it doesn't go as far as 1976.  You can search on Ancestry or Findmypast amongst others for anyone's birth.

The only way to see a certificate of a person born, married or died in England or Wales is by buying it, after you've found the reference on line, unlike the superb details on Scotlandspeople, where you can see the information before, or even without, buying a certificate, although you do have to buy credits.

It may be that the Registrars Office in Edinburgh has computer access to Ancestry, where you can do a search, or even your local library, but at the end of the day, you will have to buy a certificate to get the full information.

Lizzie

ps.  Barbara - you beat me to it, with the same information.

Offline Ecneps

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 16 December 07 00:03 GMT (UK) »
ps.  Barbara - you beat me to it, with the same information.

Great minds think alike Lizzie, and it's nice to know we both gave the same info, must be right!!!

:D

Offline weemary

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 16 December 07 10:23 GMT (UK) »
I was born In England and have lived most of my life in Scotland -  if I require a copy of my birth cert I have to  get it from England
Beaton Bethune, Campbell -  ROC
Mitchell Leslie - Aberdeen
Mackintosh, Anderson (Provost) -  Inverness
Boyle, Mckechnie, McPhail, Fulton  - Ireland, Greenock, Kilbrachan
Pearce, Curnoe/Curnow -  Cornwall
Patterson, Robson, Sloan, Campbell, Dixon, Wilson, Ritson, Hedley, Vipond, Coulson -  South Shields, Sunderland, Northumberland, Cumberland
Kitcheham/Kitchingham, Gage -  Kent