Author Topic: Alexander Skene - Aberdeen c1844  (Read 3081 times)

Offline lesleyta

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Alexander Skene - Aberdeen c1844
« on: Sunday 16 December 07 10:33 GMT (UK) »
Hi there

I'm trying to find Alexander Skene born, I can find him in England on the 1881 and 1891 Census saying he was born in Aberdeen in either 1844 or 1846.

Any help gratefully recieved.

Lesley

8) :o 8)
Batten, Schwenk, Hedley, Tubby, Chatterly.   Morpeth, Paddington, Kilburn, Cawston

Offline Indaloman

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Alexander Skene - Aberdeen c1844
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 16 December 07 10:43 GMT (UK) »
Do you have any more info, name of father etc? There are dozens of Alexander Skenes in Aberdeenshire
Knight (Nottingham & Hants) Hancock, (Kent) , Hancox (Warwickshire), Linneys (Hants) Brothers (Langford, Beds,East London), Bridgers (East London)

Other restorers please feel free to use my work if wished

Offline Piglet01

• Email address not working please contact support
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 16 December 07 11:58 GMT (UK) »
Hello Lesley

A search on the IGI which is free (www.familysearch.org) using the name and 1845 +/- 2 years, brings up
3 within the timeframe.  One looks like yours- but as Indaloman says - you'd need to know parents - or names passed down through the family.

Regards,   Steve   :O)

For general Scottish rersearch:
www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk - it's free to register and allows you to do some searching, but is basically a pay per view site.  Well worth a look though.

Offline hume

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 16 December 07 12:52 GMT (UK) »
Hi everyone,

While Alexander shows a grocer in 1881, I can't see him in Scotland in 1871, with a similar occupation. I am guessing he married Eleanor Elizabeth Cunnington (Carrington, per 1881?) in 1875, Richmond, Surrey? You may need to apply for this certificate, to get his father's name and occupation.

There is an Alexander, c. 1844, brother to George in the 1871 census. Their mother, Lilas, is living with them also. His birth is probably the 1842 one, born to William Skene and Lilas Cowie in Turriff. He does "disappear" after that census, so it could be him. :-\

hume24

That Skene family (headed by George) looks to have moved to Gamrie, Banffshire by 1881. No Alexander with them.

Offline lesleyta

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 16 December 07 13:57 GMT (UK) »
Hi all

Many thanks for the replies and help!

Yes he did marry Eleanor Cunnington ... and I didn't even think of getting that certificate - what a dummy!

There's no Lilas in our family.  Alexander and Eleanor's first born was named after Eleanor's father (Henson), 2nd male was James.

I'll find that cert and order it, any luck I'll get it before Xmas.

Thanks again for all your help.

Lesley
Batten, Schwenk, Hedley, Tubby, Chatterly.   Morpeth, Paddington, Kilburn, Cawston

Offline Skeneo

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 21 July 11 20:46 BST (UK) »
Alexanders family  I have traced back to Elgin Scotland c 1750