Author Topic: John GORDON -- Sarah PEEBLES  (Read 10693 times)

Offline indigobloke

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
John GORDON -- Sarah PEEBLES
« on: Sunday 16 December 07 13:17 GMT (UK) »
Dear all

I am trying to find more details about my great, great grandfather John Gordon.

He married in Sydney, Australia, in his late 40s and the certificate (1860/377) says he was a widower with 2 living sons from his first marriage.

He gives his parents as William Gordon (builder) and Mary Robertson.

In the IGI, I have found what is likely to be his christening details:
29 AUG 1812   St Cuthbert Parish, Edinburgh, Midlothian, Scotland.

I have also been able to identify details of Mary and her family in the IGI.

John unfortunately died while my great grandfather, Stewart, was very young so family knowledge of him is slim. However, he is thought to have been a sergeant-major in the Gordon Highlanders, was discharged in Scotland and traveled to Australia as a ships engineer.

What I am trying to find are details of John's marriage and his 2 sons. I'm not sure if this earlier marriage was before or after he migrated; I'm guessing it was before but I can't be certain. The family seems to have moved away from Edinburgh by the time of the first available censuses; I can't seem to find any trace of them, but I haven't searched exhaustively.

I'd appreciate any pointers.

Thanks
Peter
Wilson (Wakefield, Yorkshire)
Gordon (Midlothian)
Ruddle (Wiltshire)
Alley (Laois)
Pierce (Westmeath)

Offline tidybooks

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: John GORDON -- Edinburgh
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 16 December 07 21:05 GMT (UK) »
Hi Peter,

I think the parents William and Mary are in 1841 census, (remember this census asked all to round down to nearest 5 years)

At 7, St Anthony Place, Edinburgh St Cuthbert’s, Midlothian on 6th June 1841

William Gordon 60 b 1781 Scotland – Builder
Mary Gordon 60 b 1781 Midlothian wife
Henny (sic) Gordon 40 Midlothian
William Gordon 30 b 1811 Midlothian – Builder
Alex Gordon 30 b 1811 Midlothian - Mason

The parents do no appear in 1851 census, but the young William does.

I think you will have to try and trace John's son's birth certificates. if you have the info, list names with approx dates of births. We maybe able to find them.

Tom

Scotland - Buchanan, Thomson, Pat(t)erson, Stewart, Ritchie, Tracey
Ireland - Tracey, Conroy, Pat(t)erson.

Offline indigobloke

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 16 December 07 21:24 GMT (UK) »
Thanks very much, Tom

This certainly appears to be them. William is still listed as builder and the son's names mostly have a family connection (Mary's father was Alexander).

Looks like John had already left home (assuming the family stories are correct) and perhaps be in the military. The only information I have about his sons is that they are referred to as 'previous issue' on the birth certificate of my gt grandfather (born 1861) ... no names or ages, unfortunately, so I don't know whether they were living independently or staying with relatives when John migrated. John was about 49 when Stewart was born.

Peter
Gordon (Midlothian)
Ruddle (Wiltshire)
Alley (Laois)
Pierce (Westmeath)

Offline indigobloke

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: John GORDON -- Edinburgh 1812
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 08 May 08 11:42 BST (UK) »
I finally have new information on my ancestor John Gordon. On his death certificate, it names his first wife as Sarah Peebles.

IGI gives me the marriage details as:

16 SEP 1836   Saint Cuthberts, Edinburgh, Midlothian, Scotland

and gives the wife's father as David Peebles

Death certificate says they had 2 children; one son & one daughter (not 2 sons as on the certificate of the 2nd marriage). No names, though, but they are listed as living.

Sarah presumably died before around 1860 when I think he migrated to Australia.

I am still stuck for further details (birth of children/death of wife) and would appreciate any pointers. If still in Scotland, they should be in the 1841 Census.

Peter
Gordon (Midlothian)
Ruddle (Wiltshire)
Alley (Laois)
Pierce (Westmeath)

Offline chris mac

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: John GORDON -- Sarah PEEBLES
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 16 July 08 23:43 BST (UK) »
Hi Peter,
I too am researching John Gordon.He was my gt gt grandfather. Stewart Gordon was my gt grandfather. My line is down through Stewart's son Spurgeon Gordon. I have tracked down the same info that you have and am in the process of trying to find out when John came to Australia as well as when and where Sarah Peebles died. Also I am trying to track down any info regarding Eliza his 2nd wife. Hope we can get in contact.
regards
Chris Mac

Offline indigobloke

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 09 August 08 00:08 BST (UK) »
Hi Peter,

I think the parents William and Mary are in 1841 census, (remember this census asked all to round down to nearest 5 years)

At 7, St Anthony Place, Edinburgh St Cuthbert’s, Midlothian on 6th June 1841

William Gordon 60 b 1781 Scotland – Builder
Mary Gordon 60 b 1781 Midlothian wife
Henny (sic) Gordon 40 Midlothian
William Gordon 30 b 1811 Midlothian – Builder
Alex Gordon 30 b 1811 Midlothian - Mason

The parents do no appear in 1851 census, but the young William does.

I think you will have to try and trace John's son's birth certificates. if you have the info, list names with approx dates of births. We maybe able to find them.

Tom

Dear Tom (or anyone else)

John and Sarah (Peebles) Gordon seem to disappear from records after their marriage in September 1836 -- can't find them in either the Scottish or English 1841 or 1851 censuses. So haven't been able to trace the children's births yet.

One possibility I haven't followed up yet is that he did join the military and was sent somewhere. I suppose Ireland is a possibility. He may also have been sent to the Crimean war and come to Australia after that ... the dates could be about right (we still haven't found his arrival date and only have his marriage date -- 1860).

An alternative is to find the children. I have assumed that Sarah died. If she did, the children would have been left with family. In the 1841 census, there is an unmarried sister "Henny" (=Henrietta?). Maybe she took the kids in. The other alternative is a member of the Peebles family. All I know about them is that Sarah's father's name was David.

I'd be grateful for any other ideas or information.

Peter
Gordon (Midlothian)
Ruddle (Wiltshire)
Alley (Laois)
Pierce (Westmeath)

Offline indigobloke

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 18 September 08 13:50 BST (UK) »
Since the last post we have had some breakthroughs but they take us out of Midlothian.

John & Sarah are in London (Parish of St Pancras) for the 1851 census.

Through John's brother's will, we have located one child, 9 year-old John Gordon (born in England) at the Springfield village school in Cupar, Fife, in the 1861 Census. However, we lose track of young John after this; for the next census he woud have been well and truly out of school and could be anywhere. No sign of him in Fife in 1871 ... does anyone have a suggestion what to try next?

Thanks
Peter
Gordon (Midlothian)
Ruddle (Wiltshire)
Alley (Laois)
Pierce (Westmeath)

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 18 September 08 14:57 BST (UK) »
Hi Peter

I posted details of William brother's will. Re-reading your post, see that you already referred to it  :P

Monica  :)
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline tidybooks

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 18 September 08 15:16 BST (UK) »
Hi Peter and Monica,

I am having difficulty getting the same info as you, in the 1861 Scottish census. I use Ancestry and cannot get young John as a 9 yo English born, attending school in Fife. Did you get this from another source. I am not sure if this young John is correct one, parents married in 1836 and him not being born until 1852.

There is a death of Sarah Comb Peebles in 1948 on the IGI but not sure if this is correct one, either.

Did you get the will of John's brother, did it specify about John's children. If you get time, can you give more info re this link.

Tom
Scotland - Buchanan, Thomson, Pat(t)erson, Stewart, Ritchie, Tracey
Ireland - Tracey, Conroy, Pat(t)erson.