Author Topic: Adoption papers 1880's  (Read 6588 times)

Offline Anjo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Adoption papers 1880's
« on: Sunday 16 December 07 18:57 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

have just found a child on census that is listed as being the adopted child of someone on my tree.  My question is would there be papers regarding this adoption and would they be freely available and if so where? And also what would the papers be able to tell me if I found them.

The child is Alice Hill born abt 1875 Ashbourne. On the IGI there is an Alice Hill b. 7 Mar 1875 and chr 18 Apr 1875 in St Oswalds, Ashbourne with mother named as Ann.
Alice is living with Joseph Gallimore and wife Sarah in 1881 age 6 and listed as boarder. In 1891 she is with Joseph Gallimore and Sarah age 16 and listed as adopted Daughter. 

If any kind soul can throw some light on adoption papers of this era I would be extremely grateful. This info isn't critical to my family research but would like to indulge my curiosity! ;)

thanks to all

Merry christmas :)
Angela.

Offline Tuppie

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Arnold Ridge Lee
    • View Profile
Re: Adoption papers 1880's
« Reply #1 on: Monday 17 December 07 09:18 GMT (UK) »
Hi Anjo

Legal adoption began in England & Wales on 1 January 1927 - before this date there was no central registration and informal fostering within the family was commonplace.
 There was normally no record of these private arrangements although you may find information in an adopter's will. If the adoption was made through the Poor Law or a charity such as Dr Barnado's, then there may be evidence amongst the records of the organisation concerned.

Tuppie
LEE, ROSE, Mosborough/Eckington<br />TREWEEK, HARDWICK.Cornwall/Derbyshire<br /><br />Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
www.sheffieldindexers.com

Offline Anjo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 17 December 07 13:08 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Tuppie thats really useful. At least I have someplace to start looking.

Thanks a million for your time and trouble its much appreciated.

Merry Christmas  :)

Angela.

Offline behindthefrogs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • EDLIN
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 17 December 07 16:06 GMT (UK) »
If there is any evidence that the family was monied then solicitors may have been involved in the adoption.  In that case a search of a2a for the relevant names may reveal that papers have been deposited in the county archive.

David   
Living in Berkshire from Northampton & Milton Keynes
DETAILS OF MY NAMES ARE IN SURNAME INTERESTS, LINK AT FOOT OF PAGE
Wilson, Higgs, Buswell, PARCELL, Matthews, TAMKIN, Seckington, Pates, Coupland, Webb, Arthur, MAYNARD, Caves, Norman, Winch, Culverhouse, Drakeley.
Johnson, Routledge, SHIRT, SAICH, Mills, SAUNDERS, EDLIN, Perry, Vickers, Pakeman, Griffiths, Marston, Turner, Child, Sheen, Gray, Woolhouse, Stevens, Batchelor
Census Info is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk