Author Topic: George Sayer  (Read 4780 times)

Offline pauljohnmac

• I am very sorry but my emails are no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: George Sayer
« Reply #9 on: Monday 17 December 07 16:19 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for your suggestions, I have seen Georges baptism record from the Workhouse records at Maidstone, it does not reveal anything further.  I also have his marriage certificate to Eliza Edwards, no father mentioned so I think he may have been illegtimate.    His mother Elizabeth is also a mystery as I can only find her on the 1881 census living in Ramsgate, showing as a widow of Thomas Sayer a boatman. She died in 1884 aged 60, death reported by Eliza her daughter in law.

George was a railwayman and committed suicide in 1887 at St Lawrence, he was out of work due to depression and had alarge family to support, I think it got too much and he hanged himself!! I have the report from the local paper. I have been researching this family for many many years, with no hope so far of finding his father.
Sayer,Edwards, Heard, Muddle, Bishop, Power,  McConnell,Linley

Offline Bill749

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • over 70 and still wearin' genes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 17 December 07 16:55 GMT (UK) »
Hi Paul

If the baptism does not name the father then I think the Bastardy Bonds are your next line of attack.

The 1851 census for the Eastry RD, which includes Deal and the surrounding parishes, is available on CD-ROM #13 from Kent FHS - check www.kfhs.org.uk/public2.htm for details.  If you can find out where they were living at that time it might give you a clue as to where to look for any bonds.

As he was living in Deal later, this might be a good place to start, as the records for St Leonard's are easily accessible.  The bonds are available on microfiche, but it would be advisable to check the date range before ordering.

Regards, Bill
Banks, Beer, Bowes, Castle, Cloak, Coachworth, Dixon, Farr, Golder, Graves, Hicks, Hogbin, Holmans, Marsh, Mummery, Nutting, Pierce, Rouse, Sawyer, Sharp, Snell, Willis: mostly in East Kent.
Ey, Sawyer: London
Evans: Ystradgynlais, Wales
Snell: Snettisham, Norfolk
Knight, Burgess, Ellis: Hampshire
Purdy: Ireland/Canada/Durham/Pennsylvania
McCann: Ireland
Morrow: Pennsylvania
Sparnon: any
Beers, Heath, Conyers, Miller, Russell, Larson, Clark, Sibert, Hopper, Reinhart: USA

Offline casalguidi

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 17 December 07 17:10 GMT (UK) »
Not conclusive of course but given her age and birthplace in the 1881 census (Elizabeth SAYER bc1817 Sandwich) what about ................

1 Queen's? Court, Ramsgate

Elizabeth STOKES? head of family wid 44 laundress b.Sandwich

RG9/537 folio 50 page 1

2 Ivy Cottages (near the Plains of Waterloo)

Samuel STOKES head mar 40 mariner/boatman b.Ramsgate
Elizabeth wife 34 b.Sandwich
George son 7 b.Eastry
Sarah dau 3 b.Ramsgate

HO107/1630 folio 416 page 26

Notice son George of the correct age and birthplace in 1851 :-\

Not having much luck with 1871 unless she could be the Sarah SAYER at Chatham Passage lodger widow age 53 b.Sandwich (I haven't checked other years to see if this Sarah crops up again thus be eliminated).

RG10/994 folio 47 page 42

Who were the witnesses to George's marriage to Eliza?  Could they be relatives or have you eliminated them?

Casalguidi
Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline pauljohnmac

• I am very sorry but my emails are no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 19 December 07 15:18 GMT (UK) »
Thanks, you have hit upon a very intersting fact, in that the witnesses at George and Elizas wedding are Sarah Stokes and Thos Philpott!  Good spot! So there must be some link between the Stokes name. George is shown as George Sawyer with the 'w' crossed through, and then at the bottom he is shown as George Sayers. (with an s on the end)
Thanks so much this may be the clue to end my brick wall, will have to do more research, maybe when christmas is over!!
Sayer,Edwards, Heard, Muddle, Bishop, Power,  McConnell,Linley

Offline cathieee

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 15 June 15 15:53 BST (UK) »
hi i ve just seen this thread through google
my g g great grandad stephen pilcher (petley) was base born ,im trying to find out his father ,his mother was mary petley ,he was bapt at st mary s eastry on 3rd sept 1797 ,i can find no marriage cert for her marrying a pilcher ,my ggg grandad only went by the name of stephen pilcher as an adult though ,i have his marriage cert ,all the census s and death record ,but i need his fathers name to go any further back
thanks.....cathie

Offline sarah

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-Founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 15 June 15 16:35 BST (UK) »
Hi Cathie,

I am very sorry but you have just replied to a member who sadly we have lost touch with. :'(

When we loose touch with a member we leave a little note underneath there name but who knows he may just log in and see your reply (this does happen)

Regards

Sarah :)
For Help on how to post an Image on RootsChat
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=459330.0

If you have been helped on RootsChat be sure to spread the word!

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk