Author Topic: Stirling Family  (Read 5270 times)

Offline andrew shanks

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Stirling Family
« on: Monday 17 December 07 18:13 GMT (UK) »
I have a James Stirling born c1725 in Stirlingshire married to an Agnes Wallace in 1751 at Cumbernauld.  I also have an Archibald Stirling born c1735 possibly at Bannockburn or St Ninians married to a Eupham Ewing.

I am trying to establish who the parents were of James and Archibald - if anyone has any information about this I would be grateful for any assistance.

:)
Ireland: Arlour, Arlow, Hammond, Hannah, Shanks, Templeton

Scotland: Allan, Black, Carlyle, Corkingdale, Fleeting, Grant, Hammond, Hannah, Kirkwood, Lothian, McFarlane, Main, Neilson, Shanks, Sneddon, Stirling, Wood

Sussex/Hampshire/Surrey/London/Kent: Beagley, Champion, Clark, Douch, Earl, Jones, King, Ladyman, Ley, Pattenden, Peskett, Pink, Readings, Standen, Stonestreet, Windiate

Offline merryhow

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Stirling Family
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 16 March 08 14:23 GMT (UK) »

Hi Coonwarra,have you found the parents of James and Archibald? I think they are most likely ALEXANDER STIRLING and LILIAS STINSON/STEVENSON/STEPHENSON.The IGIs show what at first glance appear to be two families but a quick check of the christening dates makes me 90+% sure it's the same family.Some of the 8 children appear to have been christened in both Gargunnock and St Ninians.
In Gargunnock Lilias is always STINSON and in St Ninians STEVENSON or STEPHENSON.

I couldn't see a marriage for Alexander and Lilias.

What do you think are they the same family? More importantly are they yours.

Val

Offline valr

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 19 March 08 20:50 GMT (UK) »
Stirling is an exciting line to be following in that area!
 Some Stirlings were quite a "big deal" in the area - landowners etc - both in this area and eg in Muiravonside. There is a statue of Sir David Stirling who founded the SAS on the back road past Hill of Row to Doune....
Good luck!
val
Scotland -McCall, King, Morrison, Thomson, Mcfarlane, Stewart, Dow, Jolly, Roberston, Christie, Mclaren, Campbell, McGregor
England - Roberts, Steel, Underhill, Brookes, Pope, Stump

Offline GDTom

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 28 May 08 09:48 BST (UK) »
Hello Coonwarra

Have you established the parents of James Stirling, born 9 July 1720 and married to Agnes Wallace 19 August 1751.  I too am looking for the parents, both in Cumbernauld.

I am not sure he will be from the Stirling area but suspect his father was an Alexander as his first son was Alexander Stirling 3 May 1752 (my ancestor).

GDTom

Offline andrew shanks

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 30 May 08 22:06 BST (UK) »
Hi GDThom

Not with any certainty.  The christening of the James Stirling that was the son of Alexander Stirling and Lilias Stinson or Stevenson is in the IGI with a date of 29 Jul 1725.

There is a James Stirling in the IGI with a christening date of 9 July 1720 but this is in Old Kilpatrick, Dunbarton to parents John Laird Law Stirling and Susannah Hamiltone.  I am wondering what makes you think that the James Stirling christened in 1720 is the one that married Agnes Wallace?

Scotland: Allan, Black, Carlyle, Corkingdale, Fleeting, Grant, Hammond, Hannah, Kirkwood, Lothian, McFarlane, Main, Neilson, Shanks, Sneddon, Stirling, Wood

Sussex/Hampshire/Surrey/London/Kent: Beagley, Champion, Clark, Douch, Earl, Jones, King, Ladyman, Ley, Pattenden, Peskett, Pink, Readings, Standen, Stonestreet, Windiate

Offline GDTom

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 31 May 08 14:30 BST (UK) »
Hello Coonwarra

Thank you for your prompt reply.  I am afraid we have only been using this for a couple of days so have not had time to perfect the use.  We are relative babies to Genealogy.

For certain I know that my great-great grandparents were William Stirling (24 Mar 1811) married to Isabella Graham 30 Oct 1833 at Denny, Stirlingshire.

His parents for sure were David Stirling (Christened 16 Oct 1779) and Isabella Graham.  They were married on 4 Jun 1800 in Denny.  His baptismal  entry says that on 16 Oct 1779 Alexander Stirling and Ann McAlpine had a child Begotten in Uncleanings(!) Baptised David Jas. Stirling Sponsor.

I cannot find a marriage entry anywhere for Alex Stirling and Ann McAlpine, nor any other children, so this is perhaps where I am going wrong.

Then I found an Alexander Stirling baptised on 2 May 1752 in Cumbernauld which is Dunbartonshire which states 'James Stirling and Agnes Wallace had a child baptised called Alexander.

James Stirling at marriage to Agnes Wallace on 19 Aug 1751 at Cumbernauld, Dunbartonshire gave his occupation as Farmer, Hags of Bankier. 

All my Stirlings were from arround Haggs with is between Denny and Kilsyth.

I am on holiday at the moment so don't have my file, but there were other co-incidences.  Isabella Hendersons father was also a farmer at Haggs just in the area of Bankier.

That really is why I think it more likely that James's father would be from the Denny, Kilsyth area, but am very likely wrong.

I  don't know where you are, but from your name I wonder if it is Australia.  I wonder too if you know that there is a hugh set of drawers at the Genealogy Society in Edinburgh which is full of index cards of the Stirling family.  I am not sure who donated them.

I am not sure if you can let me have an e-mail address, I am not sure of the rules of this thing, but I do have extracts which I think are pertinent (but only if I am on the right track).  As I say, I am certain up to David Stirling and Isabella Henderson.

Offline andrew shanks

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 01 June 08 08:14 BST (UK) »
Hi GD Thom

I will send you PM so that you can e-mail me directly.