Author Topic: Alloa, Clackmannan and Dunfermline Fife problem  (Read 4488 times)

Offline tommacgregor

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Alloa, Clackmannan and Dunfermline Fife problem
« on: Tuesday 18 December 07 03:19 GMT (UK) »
Hello,

As most of us have discovered, from time to time an individual's Surname is spelt incorrectly and this leads to hours and hours of fruitless searching. I have this problem in the WATSON branch of my family and hope tht some kind soul out there can give me a helping hand.

James Allen, christened 13th December, 1668 at Culross in Perthshire married Janet WATSON, born 2nd October, 1671 at Culross in Perthshire. The marriage took place on 29th November,, 1694 at Culross.

To the best of my knowledge, Janet's parents were John Watson, born about 1645 at Alloa, CLACKMANNANSHIRE, who married, (and this is the problem), a Helen JANSIE born about 1642 in DUNFERMLINE, Fife. The marriage took place on 27th December, 1664 at DUNFERMLINE, Fife. The Surname query is preventing me from tracing Helen's parents.

John WATSON's parents appear to have been
Thomas WATSON, born about 1617 at Alloa, Clackmannanshire who married an Elizabeth FORRESTER about 1640 at Alloa.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Kind regards,

Tom.

Offline merryhow

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Alloa, Clackmannan and Dunfermline Fife problem
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 18 December 07 23:43 GMT (UK) »
Hi Tom, had a quick look at the IGIs can't see a definite birth or marriage for HELEN.There are quite a few marriages which appear to relate to this couple but all are submitted and Helen's surname varies, Jansie,Fawsie,Fowsie.

Don't know if you have these births;

HELEN WATSONE b 4th June 1668
                            ch 9th June 1668

WILLIA  WATSON b 15th May 1670
                            ch  about 24th May 1670

JANE WATSON ch 11 Feb 1680

Parents  Father - JOHN WATSONE/WATSON
              Mother - HELEN JOWSIE

All the above births in Culross, Perth. All extracted entries.

Could Helen have come from the Edinburgh area? there seems to have been at least one family of Jowsies having children there at the right period.

Val

Offline tommacgregor

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 19 December 07 04:27 GMT (UK) »
Hello Val,

Many thanks for your kindness in contacting me.  Yes, I had noticed the variants in the spelling of the Surname. I also have details of Janet Watson, born on 2nd October, 1671 at Culross, Perthshire. She married James Allen, christened 13th December, 1668 at Culross. The marriage taking place on 29th November, 1694 at Culross, Perthshire. I would be happy to give further details on the Allen's if you like.

If my research is correct, then John Watson's parents were Thomas Watson, born about 1617 at Alloa, Clackmannanshire and he married an Elizabeth Forrester, born about 1620 at Alloa. The marriage took place about 1640 at Alloa.

It really is great to see people such as yourself trying to lend a helping hand to others. I am delighted that I can help in my old-fashioned way and again, would urge others to come forward and add to the leads that we have given today.

Warm regards from the State of Victoria, Australia.

Tom

Offline merryhow

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 19 December 07 22:57 GMT (UK) »

Hi again Tom,
                     thanks for the offer to share but as far as I know I have no connection to any of your families only to Alloa.

Have you managed to confirm any of these birth and marriages from the OPRs? If not I'll let you know the next time I'm going to the "Mitchell" and perhaps I can help.

Warm regards indeed - start of summer for you, looking out the window all I see is frost(approx -2C).

Val

Offline tommacgregor

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 20 December 07 01:01 GMT (UK) »
Hello again,

It's lovely to hear from you and I greatly appreciate your interest. Since joining RootsChat I have started to make a few friends who share their memories of their childhood with me. I know very little about Clackmannanshire although I was born at Kirkcaldy in nearby Fife.

I'm currently having a look at Thomas WATSON, who was born about 1617 at your area of expertise, Alloa in Clackmannanshire. He married Elizabeth FORRESTER about 1640.

I'm also trying to dig up some information from Dollar and Tillicoultry but I simply don't have the same level of knowledge that I have when researching individuals from Fife. Two members of my Cook ancestors are involved. John Cook, born 8th November, 1674 at Dollar, Clackmannanshire who married Janet Nicol about 1694 at Tillicoultry. Can't find a damned thing about Janet.

John Cook's father was James Cook, born 10th August, 1645 at Clackmannan. He married Christian Ronald at a place called Sauchie-Clackmannan, Clackmannanshire. The marriage took place on 6th June, 1673. According to my knowledge, his parents were John Cook, born about 1619 in Clackmannan and a Joanne Horne. The marriage took place on 28th November, 1641.

Yes, the weather here in Victoria is warming up although it should be rather mild on Christmas Day - something like 25 Degrees Celsius.

Look forward to hearing from you soon.

Kind regards,

Tom.