Author Topic: Menzies family in Surrey (I think)  (Read 1989 times)

Offline Kathykins

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Menzies family in Surrey (I think)
« on: Tuesday 18 December 07 08:32 GMT (UK) »
Hello all,

I'm trying to trace a Scottish family that moved to Surrey shortly after 1901. James Menzies, born in Perthshire married Elizabeth Mary Cobb born in Coupar Angus, Scotland. James died in Coupar Angus in 1943 and Elizabeth died in Richmond, Surrey in 1959. They had at least two children - Lawrence, born in 1906 (I think) who went on to become deputy governor of the Bank of England, and a J Menzies who signed his father's death certificate.

I'd love to know more about this family, and whether there are any descendants who might remember my great grandma and grandma. Any information would be very gratefully received!

Offline nanny jan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Russian John
    • View Profile
Re: Menzies family in Surrey (I think)
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 18 December 07 08:41 GMT (UK) »
Hi Kathykins,

Could this be Laurence's birth registration:

Laurence James Menzies  Mar 1907  Wandsworth  1d 665

Nanny Jan
Howard , Viney , Kingsman, Pain/e, Rainer/ Rayner, Barham, George, Wakeling (Catherine), Vicary (Frederick)   all LDN area/suburbs  Ottley/ MDX,
Henman/ KNT   Gandy/LDN before 1830  Burgess/LDN
Barham/SFK   Rainer/CAN (Toronto) Gillians/CAN  Sturgeon/CAN (Vancouver)
Bailey/LDN Page/KNT   Paling/WA (var)

All census look-ups are crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 18 December 07 12:15 GMT (UK) »
The Times, Tuesday, Nov 27, 1951; pg. 9; Issue 52169; col E
Bank of England Changes:
Mr L.J. Menzies, an acting deputy chief cashier (exchange control and overseas) has been appointed a deputy chief cashier (exchange control and overseas).

The Times, Saturday, Feb 23, 1957; pg. 4; Issue 53773; col B
Appointments in the Bank of England
Mr L.J. Menzies to be an adviser to the governors.

The Times, Tuesday, Oct 08, 1957; pg. 8; Issue 53966; col C
Australian Visit of Bank Official
Darwin, Oct 7
Mr L. J. Menzies, adviser to the Governors of the Bank of England, arrived here to-night en route for Sydney to attend a three-months' course on central banking administration with bankers from Asian countries, Australia, and New Zealand.

The Times, Tuesday, Aug 12, 1958; pg. 6; Issue 54227; col D
(paraphrasing) Mr L. J. Menzies chosen to be Secretary (most senior official) of the Export Credits Department upon the enlargement of its role. Mr A. E. Percival and Mr A. T. K. Grant to be under-secretaries.  (This was intended as a 2 or 3 year secondment).

The Times, Saturday, Feb 28, 1959; pg. 11; Issue 54397; col D
picture of L. J. Menzies (attached).

The Times Wednesday, Apr 29, 1959; pg. 16; Issue 54447; col F
Another related article with a picture of L. J. Menzies (attached).

The Times, Tuesday, Dec 05, 1961; pg. 12; Issue 55256; col B
L. J. Menzies returns to his role as adviser to the governors.

The Times, Monday, Dec 23, 1963; pg. 8; Issue 55891; col A
Birthdays Today
Sir Laurence Menzies, 57

The Times, Wednesday, Sep 07, 1983; pg. 16; Issue 61631; col D
Deaths
Sir Laurence James Menzies, of Esher, Surrey, who held several appointments at the Bank of England, and for many years was chairman of International Combustion (Holdings), left estate valued at £262,156 net.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Kathykins

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 18 December 07 13:10 GMT (UK) »
Wow! Yes, that's him alright - apart from anything else, he's the spitting image of my Dad!

Thank you so much! Is there any chance you could email those pictures to me Jorose?

Offline Ming

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 05 October 08 20:00 BST (UK) »
I am Neil Menzies, one of three grandchildren of James and Elizabeth (Cobb) Menzies, who you enquired about on the Roots ancestor site.
Our grandparents, who lived in Balham, had (we believe) three children; a first child Harold Alexander (b 1902) who died aged 16 months in Feb 1904; my father Henry Graham ( also known as Peter ) b 1904 and Laurence (b 1907).
HGM was brought up in Balham and joined Shell as a clerk sometime in the '20s. He volunteered for the RAF in 1938, married Norah Menzies of Isleworth in 1940, and I, their only child, was born at Meikleour, in 1941. We lived in Hungerford  until 1948, thence to Harrow, Middlesex, and in 1958 to Northwood. My parents moved to Merriott, Somerset in 1969. Father died in 1983, and my mother moved to Edinburgh in 1989, where she lived until she died in late 2002.
LJM joined the Bank of England likewise as a clerk, and had the career that has been recorded in the Bank, culminating in becoming Deputy Chief Cashier, and then heading the newly formed Export Credit Guarantees Department for HMG. He married Agnes (Nan) Smart in 1936, and they had 2 children Ian (b 1938 ?) and Wendy (b ?). Ian had a career in HSBC mainly in the Far East, marrying Shirley (d 2004) and having two daughters. Wendy married Brian, having four daughters.
As I have two daughters, you'll note that of eight great-grand children none is male and carries the Menzies name!
My recall is of my paternal grandmother, who frequently came to stay and some time we visited Union Place when she was in Coupar A.( It is not clear from your question to whom you refer when you ask for memories.)
I happened upon your Roots request whilst surfing last week and appreciate that as it is over 9 months since you posed your question. You probably have all this from other sources by now.
If you wish to come back, please do.
With my best wishes,
Ming 

Offline Kathykins

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 06 October 08 08:13 BST (UK) »
Hello Neil,

Thank you so much for your reply - it's wonderful to hear from you. I had managed to find a little bit more information about the Menzies family, including a gravestone in Coupar Angus, but none of the details you mention.

Elizabeth Cobb was the sister of my great grandfather Harry Cobb, who married Grace McKenzie in Coupar Angus and had three children - my grandmother Margaret, and her brothers Frank and Jim. Jim had no children, while Frank had a son named Neil. Margaret married Jack Morrison and they moved to Manchester, where they had two sons, Harry and Ian. Harry and Ian both remember Elizabeth Cobb as "Aunty Lizzie" and we have a couple of not-very-good photographs of her with Margaret and Frank as young children. I also have some photographs of the Cobb family, and one of Harry and Elizabeth's mother Margaret Ferguson.

I have had some luck tracing the Cobb family and would love to share my research with a cousin. I have sent you a pm with my home email address, and I would love to get in touch.

Thank you again for your reply, and I look forward to hearing from you.

Kathy

Offline Ming

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 06 October 08 10:12 BST (UK) »
That is interesting! So you may recall 6 Union Place.
I know of Harry and Ian in Manchester, as my mother was in touch with them, and indeed she left a small bequest to both in her will, for which I was executor.
You may contact me on

Moderator comment: e-mail address removed to prevent spamming and other abuse.  Please use the personal message system to exchange e-mail addresses.  Thank you!

Ming 

Offline RobertGM

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 19 March 18 08:40 GMT (UK) »
Hi Kathy (& Neil), are you still researching the family of James and Elizabeth? I may have some additional (and corrected) information - which may now be "old hat" for you. I would like to know more about Elizabeth Menzies (nee Cobb).