Author Topic: It seems that you are not allowed to download or view attachments on this board.  (Read 5647 times)

Offline JamesSut

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Hello all,

Why do I get the message "It seems that you are not allowed to download or view attachments on this board." when viewing posts?

This includes my own posts where the attachment is an image which was originally displayed directly in the post itself.

E.g. http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=21078

Can anyone else see the images in that thread?

James

Offline casalguidi

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: It seems that you are not allowed to download or view attachments on this board.
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 02 January 05 19:20 GMT (UK) »
No, I can't.

James, is it because we are not supposed to post census images on the boards due to copyright reasons discussed in recent threads?

Casalguidi
Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Cuimhnichibh air na daoine bho'n d'thainig sibh
    • View Profile
Re: It seems that you are not allowed to download or view attachments on this bo
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 02 January 05 19:27 GMT (UK) »
It is very likely as  Casalguidi has said ...... while a limited provision of information from copyright sources may under certain circumstances be allowed ... it is not permitted to post copyright material without the acknowledged permission of the copyright holder. ... images of the original documents may be subject to copyright .

Unfortunately in this very litiguous society we live in Rootschat cannot afford to take any chances.

Purely a personal view and not necessarily the view of rootschat ... or condoned by rootschat in any form.

I think there are enough caveats in that lot to safeguard everybody  :o

Offline JamesSut

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: It seems that you are not allowed to download or view attachments on this board.
« Reply #3 on: Monday 03 January 05 15:28 GMT (UK) »
Thanks, that probably explains it.

I guess all images in the thread are made unavailable when someone spots a potentially copyright image.  My original post in that thread was from my own family tree database.

James

Offline trystan

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-founder
    • View Profile
Re: It seems that you are not allowed to download or view attachments on this bo
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 04 January 05 07:42 GMT (UK) »
Yes - Falkyrn explained it beautifully!
Send RootsChat a postcard:
RootsChat.com, Europa House, Barcroft Street, Bury, Lancashire, BL9 5BT
Admin Tip: Forgotten your Username or Password and would like to reply to one of these messages?  CLICK HERE to get a reminder.
AOL Users: You may need to 'cut and paste' any links you get in emails for them to work.

Offline petere

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 08 January 05 17:19 GMT (UK) »
Hello all,
I understand why images cannot be posted on this forum, but does that also apply to posting images in a PM to a specific person. If images cannot be posted that is fine, but if they can, would someone please advise me how to do it. I have a copy of a census image and a copy of a marriage certificate, both obtained from a County Record office for another Rootschatter.

Many thanks

Peter E

Offline audrey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 08 January 05 17:22 GMT (UK) »
Peter
send them by e mail
audrey

Offline RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Cuimhnichibh air na daoine bho'n d'thainig sibh
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 08 January 05 20:25 GMT (UK) »
The same limitations apply for any medium provided by Rootschat .... or in reality any provider.

Purely hypothetically if some unknown person wanted to pass information which may or may not be copyrighted to another unknown person the medium of email could be considered the medium of choice . It may be that such unknown persons may consider that the volume of information passed via ordinary email systems would assist in the passage of any such suspect material.

The problem lies in the Copyright Laws in this country and contract laws in others ... there is in reality no such thing as "fair use" we have situations where copyright is openly flouted (recording TV programs) but a blind eye is turned but it is inevitable that the holders of copyright materials would seek to protect them.... after all it is probably their livliehoods ..... and as Rootschat grows it will come to the attention of the bigger companies ... In some instances its a case of lawyers firing off letters / or instituting legal action first and questions being asked later .... often very expensive questions.

Rootschat is provided free to us as users .... we should support them as much as possible

Offline petere

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 08 January 05 20:47 GMT (UK) »
Audrey, Falkyrn,

Thanks for your replies.

Regards   -   peter