Author Topic: 1881 census look up - M(a)clean, N Uist  (Read 4861 times)

Offline McVitie

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
1881 census look up - M(a)clean, N Uist
« on: Tuesday 18 December 07 12:10 GMT (UK) »
Hello to you,

I'd be most grateful to anyone who could look up the North Uist 1881 census, for my great grnaddad, Alexander Maclean (born NU 1845). His wife Catherine MacCuish (b 1846, from Vallay), is shown at their Hougharry croft with their son John 3, but no sign of her husband Alexander.

He was a plasterer by trade and may well have been working somewhere else on the island(s).

Kind regards :)

Mcvitie

Kennedys (Skye), MacIntyres (Skye), Macleans (South/North Uist), Macdonalds (Skye/South/North Uist), MacKinnons (Skye), MacInnes (Small Isles), Macraes (Kintail/Harris), Morrisons (Kintail), Buchanans (Skye), Maclures (Skye)

Offline RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Cuimhnichibh air na daoine bho'n d'thainig sibh
    • View Profile
Re: 1881 census look up - M(a)clean, N Uist
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 18 December 07 12:37 GMT (UK) »
There is a 33 yr old Alexander maclean listed as a visitor to the home of John Morrison aged 78 and his family in the 1881 census for North uist

Offline McVitie

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 18 December 07 14:40 GMT (UK) »
Hi Falkryn

Could well be him - does the census data happen to mention which parish of NU he was visiting?

Many thanks

Mcvitie
Kennedys (Skye), MacIntyres (Skye), Macleans (South/North Uist), Macdonalds (Skye/South/North Uist), MacKinnons (Skye), MacInnes (Small Isles), Macraes (Kintail/Harris), Morrisons (Kintail), Buchanans (Skye), Maclures (Skye)

Offline RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Cuimhnichibh air na daoine bho'n d'thainig sibh
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 18 December 07 14:49 GMT (UK) »
Trumisgarry

John Morrison and one of his sons are described as masons which could tie in , although this Alexander Maclean is listed as a crofter.

Offline McVitie

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 18 December 07 15:11 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the info Falkyrn.

Thinking about it, he was born into a crofting family so perhaps he had more than just the one trade as it were. Visiting 'masons' does indeed fit the bill though.

I will get my map out and see where Trumisgarry is in relation to Hougharry...

Thanks for your help.
Mcvitie

Offline Blue-Sten

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 19 January 08 13:04 GMT (UK) »
In a book of Crofting history (P131 for my ref), it shows Alex MacLean living as a Cottar in Hougharry.  He is down as living 1845 - 1901 and marrying twice.  His first wife was Catherine MacCuish of Bhalaigh and the second was Mary Belle MacDonald of croft 26 in Griminis.  It says that Alex and Catherine moved to Lionacleit.

I'm not sure what you know but I will tell you some basics.

Alex was one of 10 children to John MacLean (1803 - 1855) and Janet MacInnes (1816 - 1879).Incidentally, John had a brother, Charles who was living at croft 11, Hougharry.  i might have more details on these people and the other 9 kids if you want them.

Send me a PM if you want me to find out more for you...

Fiona

Offline McVitie

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 24 January 08 13:19 GMT (UK) »
Hi Fiona

Many thanks for your kind offer.

As it happens Fiona, when I posted a much earlier topic on my NU Maclean family (probably back in late 2006), you very kindly supplied me with all of the Maclean family line in NU, from Charles Maclean (b1760) all the way through to my great granddad Alex Maclean (1845-1901).

I subsequently came across a very helpful chap called Blair MacAulay who has connections to NU and he recommended I obtain the NU Croft Histories by Bill Lawson, which I recently did, and very glad I did.

I'm now trying to see if the Benbecula Croft Histories contains any information on Alex Maclean marrying Mary Belle Macdonald, and her family branch, before buying the book.

So thanks again Fiona - all your assistance has been much appreciated.

Regards
McVitie