Author Topic: Riddell ROBSON - Builder - 1783-1867  (Read 4729 times)

Offline Reiver

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Riddell ROBSON - Builder - 1783-1867
« on: Wednesday 19 December 07 14:59 GMT (UK) »
May I seek some help/advice, please?

Riddell Robson was a builder in Newcastle in the early 1800s.  Info. from directories and on'line archives.  In 1823 he went to a performance of Tom&Jerry at the Theatre Royal, Necastle, a fire broke out and in the crush his wife died in his arms. I am pretty certain that he is indeed a relative but I'm not sufficiently sure.

My Riddell was baptised in 1783 in Newburn parish and I believe died in 1874 at Whorlton in the same Parish.on 24th June 1867 where the occupation on his DC was 'Landed Proprietor'. I thought the National Burial Index on Findmypast might add additional names but it didn't.

I think I have two children of his  - one also Riddell -  born between 1816 and 1822 but I'm not sure.  His wife's name is also proving eluaive - at least  I cannot find it via the IGI.

Any help would be appreciated.

Regards
Reiver

Offline oldtimer

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Riddell ROBSON - Builder - 1783-1867
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 19 December 07 16:24 GMT (UK) »
Hi Reiver!

a couple of thoughts -

As a landed proprietor he may have had enough "clout" to have had quite an extensive obituary in the local newspaper following his death.

Also, as, above, he would more than likely have left a will.

Judy  ;)
Best wishes, Judy :-))

"All UK Census Transcriptions are Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"

Offline Reiver

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 19 December 07 16:28 GMT (UK) »
Thanks very much Judy.  I shall endeavour to follow those up

Reiver  :)

Offline oldtimer

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 19 December 07 16:31 GMT (UK) »
Hi Reiver

Have just found a marriage for a Riddell Robson to an Ann Nelson in 1814 at St John's Church, Newcastle

http://genuki.cs.ncl.ac.uk/Transcriptions/NBL/MNSJ1813.html

;)

"All UK Census Transcriptions are Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"

Offline John Dixon

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 19 December 07 16:42 GMT (UK) »
Reiver
Good luck on your search,  Whorlton Church is a good hike from Newburn.   On the Ncle- Stamfordham Road just past the Jingling Gate Pub on the left at the next Cross Roads , on the way to the old Walbottle Colliery and Callerton.

John Dixon
NORTH NORTHUMBERLAND & TYNESIDE

Offline Reiver

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 19 December 07 20:39 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Judy for the marriage at St. John and John for Whorlton Church location.

The Riddell who I felt was son of the above Riddell called his daughter Ann Nelson ROBSON.  I'm sure I know why now  :).  It would seem that St John Church was on Westgate, the area which occurs frequently in the online archive material for Riddell.

I understand Whorlton Church was built about 1899.  So presumably it was a long walk from Whorlton to Newburn - the parish church much earlier.

Regards
Reiver

Offline oldtimer

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 20 December 07 04:17 GMT (UK) »

The Riddell who I felt was son of the above Riddell called his daughter Ann Nelson ROBSON. I'm sure I know why now :).

Hi Reiver! It's great when that happens, isn't it! Very thoughtful of our ancestors to leave us clues like that!!!  :D :D

Offline sharmor

• RootsChat Extra
  • Many records held at home for Tyne Valley area
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 20 December 07 16:45 GMT (UK) »
May I seek some help/advice, please?

Riddell Robson was a builder in Newcastle in the early 1800s.  Info. from directories and on'line archives.  In 1823 he went to a performance of Tom&Jerry at the Theatre Royal, Necastle, a fire broke out and in the crush his wife died in his arms. I am pretty certain that he is indeed a relative but I'm not sufficiently sure.

Any help would be appreciated.

Regards
Reiver
this would have been the old Theatre royal that stood on Mosley st. it was pulled down in 1837 with the opening of the grand building which stands on Grey st.
Forster, Hall, Yielder ,Robson, Corbridge and st John lee/ parishes.  also researching Harmison/Harmieson. have lots of info on above

Offline Michael Dixon

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 20 December 07 17:41 GMT (UK) »
My namesake John raises the fact that Whorlton Church is
a "good hike" from Newburn.

Riddell was baptised at Newburn Parish Church in 1783.

In those "early" days,  everyone ( Anglican that is) born within the territory that was NEWBURN parish, would have been baptised in the parish church.

So Riddell could have been born in Newburn village/town itself very near to the parish church,  or at Dalton the western extreme of the parish, or even at Whorlton, and still have been baptised at the parish church ( on Census 1841 that looks like him on page 823/14 2-11, in Whorlton)

Michael Dixon
Names.

GALLAGHER ( + variations).
Areas. Co Sligo, Co Leitrim, Co Mayo. IRELAND.
Ontario, CANADA
Lowell, Ma, USA
Counties of Northumberland & Durham, ENGLAND
-------------------------------------------------------------------
MALEY/MELIA/MALLEY  - with or without " O "
Westport Co Mayo. Northumberland
-------------------------------------------------------------------
DIXON
Cumberland.. Brampton, Carlisle, ENGLAND

Census information is Crown Copyright. from www.nationalarchives.