Author Topic: Treasure Ship Tragedy - The Royal Charter  (Read 29281 times)

Offline wilcoxon

• -
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barry Sheene 1950-2003
    • View Profile
Re: Treasure Ship Tragedy - The Royal Charter
« Reply #27 on: Sunday 22 August 10 12:16 BST (UK) »
When was Benjamin Carr born.

There is a man of that name imprisoned for 1 month for  larceny  October 1853 West Riding, Yorkshire, but no age or address given.

Nothing showing for a mining engineer
Census information is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline Hunter51

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Wednesday 25 August 10 15:31 BST (UK) »
Thanks Benjamin was born 1823.
 Can anyone look up a ship called the SS City of Adelaide it sailed from Melbourne to Sydney on The 20th May 1876 I have been told there was a Benjamin Carr onboard and wondered if the ship came from Sydney to England with him onboard.

Thanks Alan...

Offline wilcoxon

• -
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barry Sheene 1950-2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Saturday 30 July 11 12:49 BST (UK) »
In a book I have about Anglesey in general there is a section about the tragedy. Published 1999.
" Rumours spread that some locals were, by studying the tides , able to look amongst the rocks for the spoils and reaped a rich harvest. There may be some truth in this story as not so many years ago an old cottage near Moelfre was being modernised  and a bag of gold thought to have come from the wreck was found in the chimney "
Census information is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline slee1977

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Wednesday 26 March 14 01:22 GMT (UK) »
Hello folks,

My name is Lee and I'm the ancestor of John Richardson (b) 1808 Warton, Warwickshire. He and his brother Keeling Richardson (b) 1818 Warton, Warwickshire were convicted of poaching and attempted murder in 1844 at the Stafford Assizes and thus transported to Van Diemens Land (Tasmania).

Keeling Richardson found alluvial Gold in the "Nook" in 1852 and began a gold rush, and the town known as"Mangana" grew in the Fingal valley, Tasmania.   

http://www.fingalvalleyhistory.com/Mangana.htm

The creek is still named "Richardson's Creek".

The younger brother "James Richardson" who was a miner went in search of his brothers after receiving news of the gold find and returned home with some of the gold on board "The Royal Charter".

Well as you all know The Royal Charter sank off the coast of Anglesey, Wales in the storm of 1859.

James Richardson and his friend David Bell were Two of the many casualties who sadly died that night, and James's body was brought out of the sea nearly a month later.

Upon his body was £1 6s in pocket, £10 10s in belt, a gold ring with a heart upon it, Two small locks of hair in separate pieces of paper - marked on outside "David" and "George" also a receipt for a registered letter in Melbourne, August 24 1859, for "William Richardson" from "David Bell".

I have teamed up with family members in Tasmania, Peter Day of St Allgo's Church & Shaun Holden in order to solve where James Richardson is buried. So far James has not shown up on any of the burial registers for some of the local churches, but there are still some to check.

I would like to ask if anyone on here may have any extra bits of information that could help?

James Richardson was born 1825 Warton Warwickshire and his parents were William & Elizabeth Richardson of the same area.

At the moment I have copies of Two original pages from the passenger list of The Royal Charter as it left Melbourne. I also have newspaper articles from The Angelsey Archives reference James's body being recovered. I also have both James and David being upon the passenger list from the Public Record's Office Of Victoria and a few other bits and bobs...

Any assistance would be very much appreciated,

kind regards,

Lee.