Author Topic: TWENTYMAN family cumbria  (Read 7988 times)

Offline frederickay

• RootsChat Veteran
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
TWENTYMAN family cumbria
« on: Monday 03 January 05 00:06 GMT (UK) »
hi .Twentyman is a large family and  i have info here to share with people . jan
valentine.fairhurst,hayes,hammond,codling,rust.norfolk.deyrujo.jutsum.wharton.lacey,probert,prickett,preby atherley-jones.clifton ..london /china. judd, eubank , dixon , hine , airey ,park .twentyman , dampier , jones in suffolk , limby , derrick , stockwell..

Offline dorothy

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: TWENTYMAN family cumbria
« Reply #1 on: Monday 14 February 05 12:36 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jan,

I am wondering if you can help us at all, we are trying to get together an archive for Egremont in Cumberland.

We have just received an old post card of Egremont that was posted to a Miss Twentyman, Friends School, Brookfield, Wigton.

The card was sent by someone with the initials BW.

We cannot read the date that it was sent unfortunately, can you help us find out who this Miss Twentyman was so that we can get the full history for this postcard

Thanks

Dorothy
Ash, Holder, Hollyhead, Hubbard, Pearson families in Staffordshire.
Cockbain, Leeson, Moore, Nicholson, Skelly in Cumberland.
Mckee in Bangor Co Down and Cumberland.
Adlam, Brazington Merrett in Gloucester
Crook in Kent & Cumberland, Rattray Perthshire Scotland, Husband Scotland, Blair Perthshire Scotland, Paterson Scotland

Offline Mary T

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 06 March 05 19:49 GMT (UK) »
I'm doing a one name study and DNA project on the Twentyman family and may be able to help identify Miss Twentyman.

What sort of date are we looking at please?

Mary
Twentyman, Noddle, Cumberland. Wilson, Greenwood, Clayton, Bond, Moss, Johnson, Yorkshire.

Offline dorothy

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 07 March 05 15:34 GMT (UK) »
Hi Mary

The date on the postcard is unreadable i'm afraid but dating by the King George the V stamp and when Ivy cottages were demolished it would be between 1910 and 1930.

It would be great if you could help with this

Thank you

Dorothy
Ash, Holder, Hollyhead, Hubbard, Pearson families in Staffordshire.
Cockbain, Leeson, Moore, Nicholson, Skelly in Cumberland.
Mckee in Bangor Co Down and Cumberland.
Adlam, Brazington Merrett in Gloucester
Crook in Kent & Cumberland, Rattray Perthshire Scotland, Husband Scotland, Blair Perthshire Scotland, Paterson Scotland

Offline stwentyman

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 15 March 05 06:05 GMT (UK) »
Hello:

I am a Twentyman who lives in Virginia, and am descended from mid-to-late-19th-century Carlisle emigrants (first to Ontario, and then to Waukegan (Chicago suburb) around the turn of the century; my grandfather fought in World War II and became a career Army officer and moved around the country before settling down in Fort Belvoir, Virginia).  I believe the last of my ancestors born in England was a Thomas Twentyman (although I could be wrong), who (I think) is my great-great-grandfather (my Twentymans had a habit of producing many children at oddly advanced ages).

The Twentyman name is almost completely unknown in North America; outside of my own lineage (Chicago/Virginia), the only North American Twentyman I know of is a British Columbian tea merchant.  Google searches yield a few scattered results in New York and elsewhere, but for the most part the name is completely unknown here (although it seems to be considerably more widespread in Australia and particularly in the north of England, for obvious reasons).

I'm posting for two reasons: first, to give the state of things and an impression of the family's scarcity in America, and second, to ask for any information at all about my Cumbrian ancestors.  This is entirely out of personal interest; whatever you could tell me about the family's history, origins, prominence, or prestige would be greatly appreciated.  In particular, I'd like to know the origin of the name; about one in ten people I meet have the same curiosity, but I'm afraid that I've never been able to give a good answer (although to my eyes, the twenty (and whatever symbolism that might carry) seems Celtic, and such an origin seems certain given the geography).

Thank you very much for any assistance; the name is almost unknown in North America, with only the two or three other branches that I know of, and the unusual name has been a strange and fascinating puzzle for my entire life.  Any information (any at ALL) would be appreciated more than I can express.

- S. Twentyman

Offline audrey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 15 March 05 07:44 GMT (UK) »
there is entire web site on the Cumberland Twentyman name
I did some work for it last year
audrey

Offline sirsimon

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 10 August 14 21:55 BST (UK) »
I am researching the Twentyman family.

I am looking for information on Joseph Twentyman whom married Mary Underwood in Bromfield in 1806