Author Topic: WDYTYA is coming to SBSTV in OZ  (Read 63162 times)

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: WDYTYA is coming to SBSTV in OZ
« Reply #504 on: Tuesday 11 March 08 10:15 GMT (UK) »
Excellent Dee - Ita's cousin is most welcome. We may be able to help her with other lines of her research!

Dee, I think you should discuss anything you wish with Ita's ancestor and no justification is required.  ;)

Regarding respect for deceased ancestors ... I will not discuss my close ancestors on rootschat or anywhere else online. Some are happy to do so, others are not ...

You are right Shanko, the expression nudge used may have hit a nerve but he was not directing this personally at your mum or anyone else's close family members.

Back onto topic - is anyone else watching the repeats of Aussie WDYTYA? I saw  some of Geoffrey Robinson's last week and still did not warm to him though he had an interesting tale to tell. I too, thought that Jack Thompson's was excellent (I missed it the first time round) - he really seemed to enjoy the experience.

I am very much enjoying the UK series, though last weeks episode did not venture too far into the past  :D. Looking forward to Vic Reeves next Sunday!

Offline deeiluka

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Mrs Dee & me.......
    • View Profile
« Reply #505 on: Tuesday 11 March 08 10:24 GMT (UK) »

Back onto topic - is anyone else watching the repeats of Aussie WDYTYA? I saw  some of Geoffrey Robinson's last week and still did not warm to him though he had an interesting tale to tell. I too, thought that Jack Thompson's was excellent (I missed it the first time round) - he really seemed to enjoy the experience.

I am very much enjoying the UK series, though last weeks episode did not venture too far into the past  :D. Looking forward to Vic Reeves next Sunday!

I'm not watching the repeats on SBS, but have started watching them on DVD. It's amazing the little things you pick up the second time that you missed the first.

I really enjoyed the social history of last week's episode of the UK series.

.....dee
Steeles, Burton, Garrod (Norfolk), Clarke, Tomblin (Rutland)
Bauer (London, France), Blades, Parker (Surrey)
Edwards, Coles, Smith, Nunley, Craddock, York, & Linnell (Northants) )
Ehmcke, Deimel, Appelkamp (Germany)
Watts (Somerset, Wiltshire) Selway, Churchill, & Chappell (Somerset)
Redwood (Devon, Essex) Button, Archer, Leach (Cambridgeshire)

Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #506 on: Tuesday 11 March 08 10:30 GMT (UK) »
I know we have all had our little critisisms of each episode - the same happened with the UK series, but they're really a jolly good hours viewing  aren't they?

You're right Dee, you do pick up things on subsequent viewings that you missed first time round (specially if you were in the middle of cooking dinner ...).

Offline MarieC

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • In Queensland, Oz
    • View Profile
« Reply #507 on: Tuesday 11 March 08 10:34 GMT (UK) »
Ruskie,

Yes, I'm trying to watch the repeats and the Sunday night ones, though sometimes I am out on Friday evenings.  Agree with your comments about particular programmes.  And yes, they certainly are good viewing!

MarieC
Census information is Crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Martins in London and Wales, Lockwoods in Yorkshire, Hartleys in London, Lichfield and Brighton, Hubands and Smiths in Ireland, Bentleys in London and Yorkshire, Denhams in Somerset, Scoles in London, Meyers in London, Cooks in Northumberland

Offline Fishponds

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #508 on: Thursday 27 March 08 19:49 GMT (UK) »
Hello everyone.  My name is Marilyn and I live in West Sussex, England.  I discovered your message board by chance when googling the name Crear.  Deeiluka kindly found me wandering aimlessly and has been very helpful.  Your TV personality Ita Buttrose and I share ancestors.  Frances Adelaide Crear, wife of William Buttrose was my 3rd cousin 3 times removed.  I have been working on my family tree for a few years now. 
Scottish interest are: Wares (Warse), Crear (Creach)
Others are Koettlitz, LeCun, Dillet, Dimmock, Chappell and so on.  I work full-time, but if I can help with any tracing, using the methods I have access to, I'll do my best.

Regards to all

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #509 on: Friday 28 March 08 01:39 GMT (UK) »
Hello Marilyn and welcome to Rootschat!

Were you aware of your famous relative Ita? A google search will lead you to masses of information about her, if you haven't already done so  ;).

Our Australian series of WDYTYA is being repeated and tonight's episode is Ita Buttrose, which I'm looking forward to seeing again. I was a little disappointed in this on first viewing as Dee and others had already done such a good job of finding Ita's ancestors and many did not get a mention.

I hope you enjoy Rootschat and if you have any dead ends in your own research, just post your queries on the relevant boards and you might get the answers you're looking for.

Offline tropicalj

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • six grandkids
    • View Profile
« Reply #510 on: Friday 28 March 08 07:23 GMT (UK) »
I'm not watching the repeats on SBS, but have started watching them on DVD. It's amazing the little things you pick up the second time that you missed the first.

Austar  is  doing a  repeat  at  the moment  and  I  watched  an eposide  on  wednesday  and  thought  oh  yes  I  don't recall  that  before,  so  you do  pick up at  bit  more..Shiela Hancock  it was.

I  must admit  though  as  it has been  previously stated  by  others  I  make grrrr  noises  when  they  just get  handed  the certificates and go  oh ah.  All so staged bet  you  don't  walk in  and  get 'em  just like  that .

Dee...  I had fun  with  Ita and you,  all  good stuff and  you  didn't  put  it about on  threads  and  it was  information  anyone  could  find  with  inclination  and  time ;D

Jenn
Marilyn FishPonds
Yes  and a big Welcome  to Rootschat where  fun and friendship  and a lot of genealogy  information  abounds.

I see Chappell  is amongst  your  names,  now  that is a famous  name  in Australia to all of  us  cricket tragics.
When you search for ancestors, you find great friends!
I live in Townsville researching
TOWNSEND,PINNEGAR, STRANGE, PULLEN, GRIFFIN from Wiltshire,,
SHOEBRIDGE, VINALL, BRINDLE, Kent
BAYLEY, Dorset,Yorkshire,
HAIR, Durham,
CUMMINS, BROWNLESS from Yorkshire,
EDSALL,  Cornwall,
MORGAN, HENNESSY, BAKER,  Ireland.
VAN REYK Sri Lanka
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.au

Offline MarieC

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • In Queensland, Oz
    • View Profile
« Reply #511 on: Friday 28 March 08 10:42 GMT (UK) »
That's right, Jenn, you like me are a cricket tragic, aren't you?  ;D ;D

Welcome, Marilyn!  You'll soon be as hopelessly addicted as the rest of us!

I've very much enjoyed the repeats of the Australian series on SBS.  Watched Ita tonight and enjoyed it for a second time.  Very much hoping that SBS get the funding to make that second series!

MarieC
Census information is Crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Martins in London and Wales, Lockwoods in Yorkshire, Hartleys in London, Lichfield and Brighton, Hubands and Smiths in Ireland, Bentleys in London and Yorkshire, Denhams in Somerset, Scoles in London, Meyers in London, Cooks in Northumberland

Offline gazania

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #512 on: Monday 01 September 08 01:01 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Last night (Sun 31 Aug at 7.30 pm)  I caught the tail end of a WDYTYA program on Sir Mathew Pinsent, an Olympic triple gold medallist.  (Who by the way traced his family directly back to King Edward the first, then back to Adam & Eve hmmm)

I can't find any program details for the screening of another series.  Perhaps this was a one off in response to SBS screening the Olympics.  (Does anyone know which series had Pinsent?)

Anyway, I think we should keep checking the SBS programs.

Best wishes, Gazania
ALDERMAN, Bucks
BELK, Yorkshire, London
CARLING, Bedfordshire
CUNDITH,CUNDILL, Yorkshire, PALIN. Lincolnshire
FOX, Essex; Camberwell Surrey
LANE, Cork IE;Askeaton LIM, Liverpool, Clifton, Bristol
VOLLER, Surrey
WALL Clonlara Co Clare Ireland
WAREHAM, Esher, Surrey; London
WINCH, Surrey